International Olympic Committee approved South Sudan to become 206th member of the Olympic family hence through this South Sudan competing at next year’s Rio Olympics.
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) unanimously approved the inclusion of the African republic, which became independent in 2011.
- Sports leaders from South Sudan, Sudan and IOC executive members could not hold back tears as the International Olympic Committee accepted the country by acclaim at a meeting in Kuala Lumpur.
- South Sudan’s marathon runner Guor Marial competed at the London 2012 Olympics but did so under the Olympic flag after refusing to run for Sudan and with South Sudan not yet an IOC member at the time.
- South Sudan’s Olympic chief Wilson KUOIROT said that there will be four athletes competing in Rio 2016 representing South Sudan. All of them are training in the neighbor country Kenya.
2016 SUMMER OLYMPICS:
- The 2016 Summer Olympics known as Rio 2016 will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- The games will take place from 5 August to 21 August 2016 and more than 10,500 athletes from 206 National Olympic Committees (NOCs) will take part in this sporting event.
- These sporting events will take place across 33 venues spread across 4 regions of the city namely BARRA, COPACABANA, DEODORO, and MARACANA.
- The bidding process for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games was officially launched on May 16, 2007.