Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
**Blue Heading are Detailed News, Click the News to Read More**
- Union Cabinet sign agreement with UNESCO
- India & Mozambique signed MoU on cooperation in New & Renewable Energy
- Cabinet approved to release of wages of MNREGA workers into bank accounts
- Web Portals for Farmers
- Haryana’s CM launched “Thari Pension Thare Pass” scheme
Central Government Liberalises Single-Brand Retail Norms For Non-Resident Entities
- India now can see a flood of single-brand retailers entering , with the government allowing them to operate across multiple platforms.
- Central government norm of 30% input sourcing from Indian MSEs or cottage industries relaxed for all non-resident entities who are involved in FDI beyond 51%.
- Presently, 100 per cent FDI is allowed in single-brand retail trading, out of which proposals beyond 49 per cent require prior approval from the government.
Consequence Of This Norm:
- This norm will generate jobs and also create concern to the niche products of retailers due to lack of trained labours or the inputs in India.
- To maintain quality of the product the non-resident retailers can opt for specialised manpower training by setting centres of excellence (CoEs) through corporate social responsibility (CSR) program.
Parliament passes Delhi High Court (Amendment) Bill, 2015
After two-week-long strike by district court lawyers, the Lok Sabha passed the Delhi High Court (Amendment) Bill, 2015 which was introduced in Rajya Sabha on February 17, 2014 was passed by Rajya Sabha on May 6, 2015 related to increasing the pecuniary jurisdiction of district courts from Rs 20 lakh to Rs 2 crore.
- Through this bill, it transfers all suits pending in the High Court to the 9 districts courts in the Delhi.
- According to the data cited by Departmental Standing Committee of law and justice, this bill will affect 12211 cases pending in the High Court.
- A bill to reduce the workload of the Delhi High Court by enhancing the pecuniary jurisdiction of civil suits to District courts.
Every suit shall be instituted in the court of the lowest grade competent to try it which means that if a remedy is available at the lowest court,the high court must not be approached.This rule refers to the monetory value of the suit.A matter that involves a monetory value higher than what a court is competent to hear,parties can approach a higher court.
Awards and Recognition
PM meets prize winners of Techno-Challenge 2015
- Girls belonging to New Horizon Educational Institution ,Karnataka met prime minister Narendra Modi.
- These girl students recently won the 1st prize in the techno-Challenge 2015 competition in US .
- Taking PM’s Swachh bharat initiative these girl students developed a mobile application that connects buyers and sellers of “waste”
Sanjiv Sambandan wins Google Pitch Fest
- Hand-held waste- water filteration technology that promises zero wastage,developed at IISc in Bengaluru ,won the Google startup festival at Zurich,Switzerland.
- This technology was developed by Sanjiv Sambandan of the flexible electronics lab,Department of Instrumentation and Applied Physics at Indian Institute of Science won Pitch Fest at google Zurich.
- The filtration technique can transform highly contaminated water into very clean water, with no water wastage.
Appointments & Resigns
Atul Keshap appointed as Ambassador to Sri Lanka,Maldives
ATUL KESHAP, age 44, a former official at the US Embassy in India has been appointed to the post of U.S. Ambassador to Sri Lanka and Maldives becoming the second Indian-origin diplomat to be posted to the region after the appointment of Richard Rahul Verma, as the U.S. Ambassador to India.
- He was the deputy political counsellor at the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi from 2005 to 2008.
- He was also the director for UN Human Rights in the Bureau of International Organization Affairs from 2008 to 2010.
- He started his career with the government in 1994 when he joined the Foreign Service, and moved to the White House in 2003, where he became director for North African and Middle Eastern regional affairs on the staff of the National Security Council.
Soumya Swaminathan Appointed as DG of ICMR
Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) appointed Scientist Soumya Swaminathan as Director General (DG) of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and Secretary in Department of Health Research.
- Dr.Soumya has conceptualized, initiated and implemented several clinical trials investigating treatment and prevention regimens for TB among HIV-infected adults and children.
- She has over 160 peer-reviewed publications and over 15 book chapters and served as Coordinator for Neglected Priorities Research at the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases at WHO, Geneva between 2009 and 2011.
- ICMR: It is the apex body for the formulation, coordination and promotion of biomedical research in the country.
Rajiv Kumar Nagpal appointed as the next Ambassador of lndia to Iceland
- Shri Rajiv Kumar Nagpal, presently Director at Headquarters,appointed as the next Ambassador of lndia to lceland.
Satender Kumar appointed as the next Ambassador of lndia to Republic of Suriname
- Satender Kumar, presently Consul General of lndia, Zanzibar, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of lndia to Republic of Suriname.
Sanjay Rana appointed as the next Ambassador of lndia to the Republic of Azerbaijan
- Shri Sanjay Rana (lFS: 1996), presently Deputy High Commissioner of India, Male, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Republic of Azerbaijan.
- FICCI, ILO signed MoU to establish National Coordination Centre for SCORE Training
- Murugappa Group to form new Joint venture with Japan-based Organo
Banking & Finance
Visa to test new mobile payments service app mVisa in India
- Visa which is a global payment technology is going to provide a new mobile payment service in India from September 2015 through smartphones.
- This service will be available in this tech hub on a pilot basis through four selected banks and will be extended through to many cities.Banks are Axis bank,HDFC bank,ICICI bank ,SBI.
- To get this service Visa customers have to download the mVisa form into their smartphones and link their Visa debt, credit or prepaid account to the application. ”On activation, customers can pay for retail purchases online by transferring funds from their account to the store’s or its owner’s account
- This service will also be available to 20,000 merchants across Bengaluru who can be notified through SMS that payment has been made. Payments through mobile handset, tablet or smartphone are projected to touch $3.3 trillion by 2018 worldwide
Kanpur Zoological Park receives ISO certification 14001:2004.
- Kanpur Zoological Park is only zoo in UttarPradesh to get a rare status of ISO certification 14001:2004.
- This award is given to Kanpur zoo for successful conserving,breeding and providing opportunities for education,research and awareness amongst the masses.
- Certification explains that Kanpur Zoo is found to be ‘Environment Management System Standard’.This ISO certificate will be valid upto August 3,2018.
Punjab’s World War 2 hero Colonel Harwant Singh passes away
Colonel Harwant Singh, a World War-Two hero who was decorated with the Military Cross, the highest award of the British Army and officer in charge of the flag-hoisting ceremony on the first Independence Day in 1947 passes away at Patiala at the age of 95 years.
- Commissioned in 2nd battalion of the Sikh Regiment in September 1941, he served in Iraq, Palestine, North Africa, Cyprus and Italy during World War-2 for the British Army.
- Harwant Singh was awarded the Military Cross in September 1944 in an attack on German defences on the Gothic Line in Italy.
- Colonel Harwant Singh was one of the leading company commanders airlifted to Srinagar on the outbreak of hostilities with Pakistan in October 1947.