Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
**Blue Heading are Detailed News, Click the News to Read More**
Dr Mahesh Sharma inaugurates Bhisham Sahni’s birth centenary celebration
- Dr Mahesh Sharma who is the Minister of State for Culture (Independent Charge), Tourism (Independent Charge) and Civil Aviation inaugurated the Bhisham Sahni’s who is a Hindi writer birth centenary celebrations
- In this Occasion, Dr Mahesh Sharma inaugurated a photo and book exhibition focusing on Bhisham Sahni and also released a monograph on him. Dr Mahesh Sharma also said that the Government has plans to make India as a spiritual and cultural leader in the world.A documentary on Bhisham Sahni produced by the Sahitya Akademi was also screened on the occasion. The event is a 3-day celebration from 8-10 August, 2015.
About Bhisham Sahni:
- Bhisham Sahni(8 August 1915 – 11 July 2003) was a Hindi writer, playwright, and actor, most famous for his novel and television screenplay Tamas(“Darkness, Ignorance”), a powerful and passionate account of the Partition of India. He was awarded the Padma Bhushanfor literature in 1998, and Sahitya Akademi Fellowship in 2002.
- He earned a master’s degree in English Literature from Government College in Lahore, and a Ph.D from Punjab University, Chandigarh in 1958.
- He joined the struggle for Indian independence. At the time of Partition he was an active member of the Indian National Congress, and organized relief work for the refugees when riots broke out in Rawalpindi in March 1947.
- Late in life, he appeared in several films, including Saeed Mirza’s Mohan Joshi Hazir Ho!(1984), Tamas(1986).
International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples
Since 1995 every year August 9th is observed as United Nations International of the World’s Indigenous people.This day is observed to promote and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
This day also recognizes the achievements and contributions that indigenous people make to improve issues such as environmental protection.
- Theme: “Ensuring indigenous people’s health and well-being.”
- On this day activities may include educational forums and classroom activities to gain an appreciation and a better understanding of indigenous peoples.
- Events may include messages from the UN secretary general and other key leaders, performances by indigenous artists
- Symbol work by Rebang Dewan a Chackma boy from Bangladesh, was chosen as the visual identifier of the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues. UN logo with the words “We the peoples” written in the middle.
Banking & Finance
- Swiss National Bank hikes exposure to Indian companies
- Mutual funds gather Rs 2 lakh crore in Apr-Jul FY’1
India received USD 24 bn in FDI from EU in last 3 yrs
- Despite the Free Trade Agreement talks with the European Union being in limbo, India has received an impressive USD 24 billion in Foreign Direct Investment from the 28-nation bloc over the last three years.
- The EU has been India’s largest trading partner and the two-way trade is likely to swell significantly if the countries could firm up the long-pending Free Trade Agreement, officially called the Broadbased Investment and Trade Agreement (BTIA).
- The FDI inflow was USD 8.20 billion in 2014-15, which was a decline of USD 862 million compared to the year ago period. In 2015-16, the amount in first two months of current fiscal was USD 1.39 billion.
- In total, India received USD 24.91 billion in FDI equity inflows from EU between April 2012 and May 2015.
- The two way commerce between EU and India stood at about USD 99 billion in 2014-15 while it was USD 101.5 billion in 2013-14.
PMF acquired Deutsche MF business in India
Pramerica Mutual Fund has acquired the Indian asset management business of Deutsche Mutual Fund (India) for an undisclosed sum.Induatry sources estimate it to be between Rs300-400 crore.
- This transaction should be approved by the Securities and Exchange Board of India and the Competition Commission of India.
- Deutsche Asset Management (India) is the MF business of Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management in India.
- This agreement is to sell its Indian asset management business to Pramerica Asset Managers was subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals.
- This sale by Deutsche Bank is the latest among a slew of foreign asset managers exiting the mutual fund business in India, including Morgan Stanley (acquired by HDFC AMC), ING (Birla Sun Life), Daiwa (SBI) and PineBridge (Kotak).
TRAI mandates Telcos to notify users on data usage
- Telecom Regulatory of India asks telecom companies to keep subscribers informed of all important stages of data usage,which is a big relief to a big relief to lakhs of internet users on Mobile phones.
- This decision from TRAI is due to a large number of complaints from customers that mobile operators were keeping the process of deactivation very complex to earn extra revenue.
- Customers can send SMS to 1925 by writing ‘START‘ to activate and ‘STOP’ to deactivate the service or by making a call on the number and following instructions.
- Telecom operators will have to immediately reply to customer about status of activation and deactivation of their service.
- It should alert customers immediately when they have consumed 50 percent of data, 90 percent of data and 100 percent data of the data permitted under the special schemes. Alternatively, when the data balance available in the account of the subscriber reaches 500 MB, 100 MB and 10MB.The service providers have been given time till November 15, 2015.
- Ans also inform the subscribers about the details of ‘new’ tariff applicable after exhausting the data limit, when the data limit reaches 90% or the data balance available in the account reaches 10MB.
Science & Technology
STPI to set up IT facilitation centre in Odisha
Software Technology Parks of India (STPI), an autonomous society under Union ministry of communication and information technology, plans to set up a facilitation centre at Bhubaneswar,Odisha
- With this approval, the state will now boast of having 10 STPI units. At present, there are four STPI centres in the state at Bhubaneswar, Berhampur, Rourkela and Balasore.
- The centre, to be set up on three acres of land near the International Institute of Information Technology(IIIT), will have software and hardware incubation centres, data centre for the use of IT industries.
- For this project Union ministry has sanctioned about Rs 49 crore for the centre in the first phase for taking up the civil infrastructure. The centre will be a G+7 storied building.
- STPI was set up with the objective of encouraging, promoting and boosting the software exports from India. It maintains internal engineering resources to provide consulting, training and implementation services.
- National Buildings Construction Corporation Ltd (NBCC) has been entrusted the job of constructing the building, which will be completed within two years.
10-Year-Old Girl becomes Youngest Swimmer at a World Championship
Alzain Tareq, 10 year old Bahrainian girl who swam in the 50 meter butterfly heats in World Championships in Kazan became the youngest-ever swimmer at world championships.
- She finished with a time of 41.13 seconds came in last place,competing with 25 year olds coming in 64th out of 64.
- Tareq trains five days a week in Manama, where she has access to 25 meters and 50 metres pools in the capital of the Persian Gulf nation, which has no swimming tradition.
- She attends school from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., rests for an hour and then swims.
- Tareq is one of 12 girls all under 12 training on a team in Bahrain. She is the fastest of them all, so she was chosen by her coach to compete in Kazan.
Jawahar Thayankari wins 63rd Nehru Trophy Boat Race
Jawahar Thayankari of Vembanad Boat Club, Kumarakom, won the 63rd Nehru Trophy Boat Race at Punnamada Lake,Kerala.
- Mahadevikkattil came in second, Sree Ganesh finished third and St Pius 10th of St Pius 10th boat club finished fourth.
- Nehru Trophy Boat Race has been described as the Olympics in the backwaters.
- Marking the 63rd year of the race, a total of 63 boats participated in the Boat race.
- The Nehru Trophy Boat Race, which was first held in 1952, has become one of Kerala’s greatest attractions.
- Jawahar Thayankari won the Nehru Trophy for the first time in 1977 and after in the years 1978, 1985 and 2010.
Saina, Srikanth upbeat as India chase medals at World Championship
India, for the first time will have two players in the top 5, Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth will be at the forefront as a strong Indian badminton contingent look to create a flutter at the World Championships.
- Saina at World No 2 in women’s singles and Srikanth at World No 3 in men’s singles will lead Indians at the Championship.
- Saina, who won Syed Modi GPG and India Super Series this season, is likely to take on Sayaka Takahashi of Japan in the prequarterfinals.
- Srikanth, who won two titles in men’s singles this season at Swiss Open and India Super Series, will face Michael Fariman of Australia in the first round.
England wins Ashes 2015 against Australia
- England has reclaimed the Ashes from Australia, posting an innings and 78-run win on day three of the fourth Test at Trent Bridge.
- Victory saw England regain the Ashes after it was whitewashed 5-0 in Australia in 2013/14.It also gave England a fourth successive Ashes series win on home soil, with Australia’s last away triumph coming in 2001.
- Australia resumed day three on 7 for 241, trailing England by 90 runs, but it took the home side less than an hour to wrap up the tail and establish an unassailable 3-1 series lead.
Click here to view: Current Affairs August 2015