Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Dr. Sanjeev Kumar Balyan Launched KISAN Project and Hailstorm App.
- Amo doli Programme Launched by Odisha Government
“Zubaan” director awarded at Busan film festival
“Zubaan” movie director Mozez Singh has been honoured with Rising Director Asia Star award at the ongoing 20th Busan International Film Festival for his debut film as director.
Zubaan was the second Indian movie as an opening film at the film festival after the Bengali movie “The Wrestlers”
- With this achievement Mozez became the first Bollywood director to win the trophy.
- Zubaan is a musical drama which stars Masaan Movie Actor Vicky Kaushal and Sarah-Jane Dias.
- It is produced by Sikhya Entertainment & Metamozez Entertainment and Co-produced by Guneet Monga (who also produced The Lunchbox).
40% escalation of import duty on ghee and butter
In a move to provide duty protection to milk producers Government has increased the import duty on ghee, butter and butter oil by 10 per cent to 40 per cent to safeguard the interest of domestic producers.(Revenue Secretary – Hasmukh Adhia)
This increase in import duty will be temporary for a period of six months and it will continue till March 2016.
The decision was taken based on recommendation of Directorate General of Safeguards and Directorate General of Anti-Dumping and Allied Duties on the request from milk producers as there was a big fall in the prices of ghee, butter and butter oil in the international market.
Common entrance test for MBBS, PG courses gets MCI nod
The proposal for common entrance test for MBBS, BDS and post-graduate medical courses has grabbed the nod from Medical Council of India (MCI) and recommendation have been send to the Health Ministry.
- Every State government is conducting their own CET including private medical college associations and deemed universities and medical aspirants appear in all the exams.
- The MCI has also proposed an amendment to the Medical Council of India Act, 1956 so that decision can be on the common test.
- In 2013 this MCI’s notification for common entrance test for all medical courses was considered “invalid” by SC.
Solid waste management of Trichy Corporation receive honour
- Tiruchirappalli also known as Tiruchi or Trichy of Tamil Nadu has been honoured for their innovative project of solid waste management with the effective use of monitoring technology, radio frequency identification system (RFID).
- The award was presented by Gurgaon-based group “Skoch” dealing with socio – economic issues
- The RFID monitors garbage collection from various sources to its destination at Ariyamangalam dumping yard by keeping an eye on workers and their cleaning activity
- The city corporation in collaboration with a private firm introduced the RFID attached dumpsters in 17 wards of the city corporation which were monitored with the help of software “Chitragupta”
- When the dumpsters gets cleaned the message has been sent to the corporation officials.
2,000-year-old Arch of Triumph destroyed by Islamic State
Islamic State fighter’s jihadists have destroyed the 2,000-year-old Arch of Triumph which was also known as “Pearl of the Desert” in Syria’s ancient city of Palmyra as the violent group continues its campaign to destroy the UNESCO World Heritage site.
UNESCO outlines Palmyra as a heritage site of “outstanding universal value” and Arch of Triumph is the oasis town of Palmyra situated at 210 kilometers (130 miles) northeast of Damascus. It was a stopping point for caravans travelling on the Silk Road.
The fanatic group has captured large parts of Syria and neighbouring Iraq committing illegal activities including beheadings, rape and mass killings, and destroying archaeological and cultural heritage.
Nepal turns to United Nations over “obstruction” of trade point with India
Nepal has asked help from UN over alleged barriers on a border trade point with India that has resulted in acute shortage of essential goods due to undeclared blockade.(Deputy Prime Minister – Prakash Man Singh)
For the effective implementation of the Vienna Programme of Action for 2014-2024 Nepal is appealing for the unhindered access for landlocked developing countries (LLDCs).
Ajay Sharma designated as UK’s ambassador to Qatar
Indian-origin diplomat Ajay Sharma is appointed as the new British Ambassador to Qatar who will succeed Nicholas Hopton who transferred to another post. He will practice his new charge in November.
- Mr Sharma, currently serving as the in charge of affairs to Iran.
- Earlier he was served as the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) Head of Iran department in 1995.
- He has also performed in different positions in Turkey, Russia and France.
Sumit Issar named as MD of Mahindra Intertrade
- Already been the key member of the Mahindra Intertrade Ltd (MIL) leadership team Sumit Issar has been appointed as the new Managing Director of MIL and Mahindra Steel Service Centre Limited (MSSCL) as a succeedor of Harsh Kumar who was bow out last month.
- Mahindra Intertrade Ltd (MIL) is the wholly-owned subsidiary of Mahindra and Mahindra having a network of independent steel service centres in the automotive, power and home appliances.
- Its steel service centres are at Pune, Nashik, Vadodara, Bhopal and Chakan in India and Sharjah in Middle East.
- Mahindra Steel Service Centre Ltd (MSSCL) is a JV between Mahindra and Metal One Corporation, Japan.
- Mr. Issar started his career in 1995 with MIL as a graduate engineer trainee and then served the company with large number of roles in sales and operations, product development, sourcing, supply chain management and business development.
200 New Species Discovered in Himalayas
As per the report by World Wildlife Fund (WWF) 200 new species discovered in the Eastern Himalayas which includes 133 plants, 26 species of fish, 10 new amphibians, one reptile, one bird and one mammal.
- Snub-nosed monkey that sneezes when it rains
- Vibrant blue dwarf “walking” snakehead fish which can breathe atmospheric air and survive on land for up to four days
- Striking blue-eyed frog
- Lance-headed pit viper snake with an ornate yellow, red and orange pattern
- Fresh-water “dracula” fish with fangs
- Three new types of bananas.
But Due to climate change the newly discovered species is in danger as they are left with quarter of their original habitats. Hundreds of plants and animals living in the Eastern Himalayas considered to be globally threatened due to population growth, deforestation, poaching, mining, overgrazing, the wildlife trade, pollution and development of hydroelectric dams
Wuhan win boomed Venus Williams ranking
35 years old American Venus Williams took the crown at the Wuhan Open which is her biggest win since 2010 when Garbine Muguruza bows out in the second set. With this she won the 47th title of her career.
- Now she is travelling to Beijing for the China Open.
- In 2011 she was diagnosed with Sjogren’s Disease, an immune system disease which affected her career.
- This year she is honoured with a degree in Business administration from Indiana University.
- In WTA tennis rankings she made a 10 place move up and ranked at 14th position.
2015 FIBA Asian Basketball Championship Won by China
China defeated Philippines by 78-67 thereby becoming the winner of 2015 FIBA Asian Basketball Championship at Changsha, Hunan, China. This tournament was the 28th continental basketball championship in Asia.(FIBA – International Basketball Federation)
- With this China qualified for the basketball tournament on the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, Brazil.
- China’s player Yi (27) was named the Most Valuable Player of the tournament.
- On the other hand Philippines, Iran, and Japan will participate in the 2016 FIBA World Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Men.
David Ferrer won against Feliciano Lopez at Malaysian Open
David Ferrer from Spain defeated his opponent fellow Feliciano Lopez by 7-5 7-5 in the final of the Malaysian Open at Kuala Lumpur and bagged with a prize money of $US 170, 600.
- With this he clinched the 25th title of his career and fourth of this year by winning Qatar, Rio and Mexico and Malaysian triumph
- Ferrer was playing the 50th ATP World Tour-level final of his career.
In the final of men’s doubles Treat Huey from the Philippines and Henri Kontinen from Finland won the tournament.
Telugu film producer Edida Nageswara Rao passes away
1934 born Veteran Telugu film producer Edida Nageswara Rao passed away due to old age related ailments at the age of 81. He was the ownerof tollywood film production house Poornodaya Movie Creations.
- His 3 films named “Sankarabharanam”, “Sagara Sangamam” and “Sitara” won National Award
- He was also a producer of films like “Swati Muthyam” and “Swayam Krushi”.
- He was nominated for the prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke Award.
- Mr. Rao was also conferred with Life Time Achievement Award by Sangam Academy.
- Edida Nageswara also the President of Telugu Film Producers Council.
World Habitat Day observed on 5th October
World Habitat Day is celebrated on the first Monday of October. This year it was observed with the “Public spaces for all”
- It is celebrated to raise awareness about the need for well-designed and managed public spaces and streets.
- World Habitat Day was established in 1985 and was first celebrated in 1986.
CELEBRATION IN INDIA
On the occasion of World Habitat Day Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Ministry collaborated with National Remote Sensing Center in Hyderabad for use of latest technologies in its “Housing For All’ urban mission
UN-Habitat joined hands with UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) for the promotion of “HeforShe”initiative which raise awareness about the role of men and women in the creation of “gender-equal public spaces for all”.