Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
APCESS 2015 chaired by India
The 7th Asia Pacific Conference on Exercise and Sports Sciences (APCESS) was held in India for the first time at Manav Rachna International University, Faridabad.
THEME – Interdisciplinary Applied Approach to Health and Performance Enhancement through Sports Science
ORGANISER – Asian Council of Exercise and Sports Science (ACESS) & Manav Rachna International University
SUPPORTER – Sports Authority of India
PARTICIPANTS – 900 delegates from 41 countries including China, Croatia, Germany, Malaysia, Serbia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand and Turkey participated in the event to debate on a slew of issues including promotion of.
The conference goal was to promote research in the sphere of exercise and sports with sports practitioners and students and its association with other health disciplines.
Delhi gets its second monumental national flag
The inauguration of the “Monumental National Flag” measuring 30×20 ft. at the rotary junction connecting Shantipath, Niti Marg and Nyaya Marg was done by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal. The 105-ft. high monumental flagpole bearing the tricolour was installed at the Chanakyapuri area.
Tripura Police to accept FIR through SMS or e-mail
After the launch of toll-free helpline number for women in distress now Tripura Police is back with a new initiative which enables general public to register FIR (First Information Report) through an SMS or through an e-mail.
- Complaint must include name and address of complainant, the nature of the offence and the place of occurrence.
- Toll-free helpline number for women in distress to lodge their complaints – 1091
Drought calamity – MCA providing Rs 1 crore to Maharashtra Govt
After the Maharashtra’s declaration of drought condition in 14,708 villages of state, the Maharashtra Cricket Association will hand over Rs one crore to the state government to tackle the drought situation in the region.
- Villages facing this calamity have paisewari (value of crops) is less than 50 per cent
- MCA has also decided to slash the ticket rates for the fifth and final ODI to be played in the city.
Flight of Nirbhay Missile Aborted after 700 Seconds of Launch
Nirbhay, India’s sub-sonic cruise missile got failed in its flight test which was launched from Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha. Mission was aborted after 700 seconds as flight crashed into the Bay of Bengal. It just covered 128 km of its 1000 km range
It is developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO)
- It supports ring laser gyroscope for high-accuracy navigation and radio altimeter for the height determination
- It will be used by 3 arms of Indian Defence – Indian Navy, Indian Army and Indian Air Force
Indian business school among world’s top 100
SP Jain School of Management is the only school Of Indian origin is ranked as 95th on the list by The Economist The Economist MBA rankings Financial Times and Forbes are the most important rankings in the world.
The 11-year old business school was ranked among ‘Top 10 1-year international MBA’ in Forbes’ biennial rankings of the world’s top MBA programs last month. This year both Forbes and The Economist have ranked the school among top institutions
5% quota for Gujjars, other SBCs in Rajasthan
As per notification Rajasthan Special Backward Classes (Reservation of Seats in Educational Institutions in the State and of Appointments and Posts in Services under the State) Act 2015 would provide 5% reservation in jobs and educational institutions to the Gujjar, Banjara, Rabari, and Gadia Lohar communities in Rajasthan.
- In September Rajasthan Assembly had passed two separate Bills for providing 5% reservation to SBCs and 14% reservation to Economically Backward Classes (EBC) of unreserved categories.
- Rajasthan Governor Kalyan Singh gave an accent to the 14 per cent reservation to EBCs along with the five percent reservation for SBCs but the State government is yet to notify the 14 per cent reservation for EBCs.
Typhoon Koppu strike Northern Philippines
Northern Philippines smashed by Typhoon Koppu which have affected the lives of more than 16,000 people.
The eye of Koppu pounded remote coastal town of Casiguran by covering 215km northeast of Manila with a storm speed of 210 km/h
- Philippines is hit by this stormy calamity each year with an average of 20 storms
- In 2013 Typhoon Haiyan destroyed entire towns in the central islands leaving more than 7,350 people dead or missing.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Raj Singh Rathore clinches top prize at Raid de Himalaya
17th Edition of Himalayan Motorsport Raid de Himalaya titled bagged by experienced driver Raj Singh Rathore (co-driver Amber Udasi) by defeating Tsering Lakhpa (co-driver Venu Ramesh Kumar) followed by nine-time winner Suresh Rana (Parminder Thakur).
There were 167 participants who travelled 1,920 km over six days.
- Event started in Shimla and crossed through some of the most picturesque in the Himalayas with night halts at Manali, Dalhousie, Srinagar and Rangdum.
- The final rally started from a small Ladakhi village of Rangdum and concluded in the heart of Kashmir – Srinagar
- The motorsport was first started in 1999
India’s “An Old Dog’s Diary” wins award at London Film Festival
2015 London Film Festival (LFF) Best short film Award – An Old Dog’s Diary (Indian Short Film)
Directed by – Shai Heredia and Shumona Goel,
This short film is all about a portrait of Indian avant-garde painter Francis Newton Souza, revealing the cultural conditions for his work and its eventual institutionalisation
Bhaichung Bhutia to serve AIFF as its advisor
All India Football Federation has designated former India Football Team captain and Padma Shri awardee Bhaichung Bhutia as the advisor for “overall issues of the game and the Federation”.
India was ranked at 167th position in the FIFA rankings last month
- Bhutia started Bhaichung Bhutia Football Schools in 2010 in partnership with Carlos Queiroz and Nike at New Delhi.
- He is the recipient of Arjuna Award for football in 1998, Banga Bhushan award in 2014 and Asian Football Hall of Fame in 2014
It was founded in AIFF was founded in 1937 and received affiliation from FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association) in 1948 and AFC Asian Football Confederation affiliation 1954.
- It is an administrative body which controls the running of India national football team and also I-League and various other competitions and teams
- President – Praful Patel
GR Chandak appointed as Director of CDFD
Hyderabad located Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD) has been designated Dr Giriraj Ratan Chandak to the post of Director.
- Chandak is senior scientist in CCMB (Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology)
- His educational qualification includes MD in Biochemistry from Institute of Medical Sciences at Banaras Hindu University and PhD in Biochemistry from Osmania University
- His research areas are genetic understanding of complex disorders of pancreas and type 2 diabetes
- He has published around 80 articles in journals like Nature, Nature Genetics and Lancet
- He is a member of Science Akademi and an Adjunct Group Leader at Genome Institute of Singapore
- He was honoured with Andhra Pradesh Scientist Award from AP Council for Science and Technology
- He runs a State of the Art “Molecular Diagnostic and Genetic Counseling” facility which provides such services to 30 common monogenic disorders
Housing.com appoints Mani Rangarajan as CFO
Mumbai headquartered Realty portal Housing.Com has designated Mani Rangarajan as its Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- Mani has served companies like Citigroup and Yahoo at executive level roles.
- He has also been involved with several start-ups in India in advisory roles.
- Mani holds an MBA from the Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business, a PGDM from IIM Kolkata and is also a Cost & Works Accountant
This Real estate portal is having its presence in 50 cities and employing about 2,500 people and 6000 brokers.
- Com provides independently verified listings of homes.
- It has risen over USD 100 million from investors, including Softbank
Leo Puri – Chief of AMFI
Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI) has been appointed Leo Puri of UTI AMC* as its new Chairman. He will succeed Sundeep Sikka.
*UTI Asset Management Company Ltd
A.Balasubramanian will continue on the position of Vice-Chairman as he did not met the expectations
(As per promotion hierarchy vice-chairman is promoted to chairman)
- In AMFI there is 15 members board out of which 7 belong to fund houses having Assets Under Management (AUM) over ₹30,000 crore and 4 belong to mid-sized fund houses with AUMs of between ₹5,000-30,000 crore. It also comprises three broad categories – category A represents directors from large fund houses, category B has directors from mid-sized fund houses and category C represents director of emerging fund houses.
13 Lakh Crore is a standard organisation of mutual funds sector and was formed in 1995 and is comprised of 44 fund houses
- It provides ethical lines and maintains standards to protect and promote the interests of mutual funds and their unit holders
Poetsch to succeed Winterkorn as VW CEO
Chief Financial Officer of Porsche SE Hans Dieter Poetsch is designated as the chairman of the VW supervisory board. He will succeed Martin Winterkorn from November 1, 2015.
- Winterkorn resigned as CEO of German carmaker after the “Diesel Dupe” scandal when the group admitted cheating in diesel emissions tests in the United States.
- Winterkorn is also serving VW’s luxury brand Audi, its trucks division Scania, and its newly-created Truck & Bus holding as its chairman.
Shreehari Aney named Maharashtra Advocate General
Maharashtra Govt designated Shreehari Aney as the Advocate General of the state. He will succeed Sunil Manohar who resigned his position due to personal issues.
After Sunil Manohar resigned Additional Solicitor General of India Anil Singh was then given the additional charge of AG.
- Aney is 1950 born and completed his B.com at Wadia College in Pune and studied law at Indian Law Society’s law school in Pune
- He was a member of the Maharashtra Law Commission and has been practicing as a senior counsel for a long time
- He was appointed as a counsel for the state government in the ongoing legal tussle over the “chikki” controversy
- Aney has appeared in several high-profile matters including the Adarsh housing society scam and the Maharashtra Sadan controversy
Aditya Birla Group joins ecommerce with portal abof.com
As a part of e-commerce drive Aditya Birla Group has launched abof.com an online fashion portal for apparel, footwear and accessories for men and women from about 55 brands.
(President and CEO of abof – Prashant Gupta)
- Portal will cover mostly the age group of 18-25
- The portal will provide a personalized shopping experience
- It is equipped with India’s first-of-its-kind 3D virtual trial room – a tool where customers can instantly view themselves in any product by inputting their basic body proportions.
Novak Djokovic wins 9th title of year at Shanghai Masters
Novak Djokovic claimed his ninth title of the year with a 6-2 6-4 victory over Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the Shanghai Masters final on October 18 2015.