Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- India, Sweden Agree to Cooperate in Urban Sector Initiatives
- A tribute to Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam (15 October 1931 – 27 July 2015)
IIM-Shillong to launch centre to honour Kalam
On 15th October 2015 IIM – Shillong announced that to honour the former president A.P.J.abdul Kalam , they will launch a centre for policy research .
A 2,000 square feet auditorium with a seating capacity of 200 will be set up in the IIM Shillong in Kalam’s name .
A Seminar named ‘Science and Humanism for National Development‘ Based on the Kalam’s contribution to science and his objective of social development was also organised in IIM shillong on the 84th birth anniversary
Missile Complex in Hyderabad renamed after Kalam
On the occasion of APJ abdul Kalam’s 84th birth anniversary(15th october 2015) the Missile complex in hyderabad was renamed as Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex .
Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex” comprises Advanced Systems Laboratory (ASL), Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) and RCI.
The renaming ceremony was attended by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar,G Satheesh Reddy, Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister and Director of RCI along with other distinguished scientists, senior officials and staff of DRDO .
PM announces memorial for Kalam on 84th birth anniversary
To honour the people President APJ Abdul Kalam and also to inspire the future generations a memorial will be built in his birthplace –Rameswaram .And Rameswaram will be developed as an AMRUT city.This announcement was made by the PM Narendra Modi on the 84th birth anniversary of APJ Abdul Kalam(15th October 2015)
PM salutes former Prez Kalam on his 84th birth anniversary
On 15th October 2015 PM Narendra Modi salutes the late President APJ Abdul Kalam on his 84th Birth Anniversary.
A statue of APJ Abdul Kalam was also unveiled by Narendra Modi and also a photo exhibition of Kalam was inaugurated by the Modi in New Delhi during the function.
200 crore Victim compensation fund set up
Central Victim Compensation Fund (CVCF) is a new scheme initiated by Ministry of Home Affairs to support the victims of rape, acid attacks, human trafficking and women killed or injured in cross border firing.
(Minister of Home Affairs – Rajnath Singh)
SCHEME OUTLAY – Rs. 200 crores
UNDER THIS SCHEME
- Acid attack or rape victim will get Rs 3 lakh, In case of victim is less than 14 years of age compensation will rise by 50%
- Victim of physical abuse of minor – Rs 2 lakh
- Rehabilitation of victim of human trafficking – Rs 1 lakh,
- Sexual assault (excluding rape) – Rs 50,000
- Death – Rs 2 lakh
- Permanent disability (80% or more) – Rs 2 lakh
- Partial disability (40% to 80%) – Rs 1 lakh
- Burns affecting greater than 25% of the body (excluding acid attack cases) – Rs 2 lakh
- Loss of foetus – Rs 50,000,
- Loss of fertility – Rs 1.5 lakh
- Women victims of cross border – Rs 2 lakh for death or permanent disability and Rs 1 lakh in case of disability (40% to 80%).
States and UTs are also requested to implement the scheme under the provisions of Section 357A.
Uttar Pradesh Government launched mobile app mSehat for health workers
Mobile App Name – M-Sehat
Aim : For health workers to record maternal and infant data in real-time and there by providing best health care.
Launched Date : 15th October 2015
Launched in : Uttar Pradesh
Launched By : Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav
Developed by : Kellton Tech Solutions Limited
Initial Launched Districts(5) – Sitapur, Kannauj, Faizabad, Mirzapur and Bareilly
Adoption of railway stations for makeover – spreading wings of Swachh Bharat
As a part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan social organisations, NGOs and charitable institutes adopted 29 Central and 11 Western Railway stations to keep them neat and clear.
- It is a new concept of “Swachh Rail – Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” initiated by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu.
- Many organisation have adopted stations including Rotary International District 3140 which adopted eight stations
- Efforts will be made in the areas of clean and healthier toilet blocks, awareness to the travelling public on various health and safety issues
First Arab-India Economic Forum to be held in Dubai
Finmin Arun Jaitley is going to instigate two days Arab-India Economic Forum in Dubai on Nov 16-17 to draw the attention of Arab investors and discuss opportunities and solutions to face investor challenges.
- Countries – UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Jordan, Egypt and India
- 300 delegates, political and business leaders – Dubai Department of Economic Development, Mumbai Stock Exchange, Ministry of Tourism-India, Ministry of Economy-UAE, Ministry of Commerce and Industry-Saudi Arabia and Ministry of Economy and Commerce-Qatar
After China India is the UAE’s second largest trade partner with $59 billion per year.
Indo-Mozam MoU on cooperation in renewables
India and Mozambique inked agreement for technical bilateral cooperation and investment promotion in the area of new and renewable energy has been approved by the Union Cabinet.
MoU was signed during the Mozambique President Filipe Nyusi to India in August and it was inked between the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy and Mozambique’s Ministry of Mineral Resources and Energy.
(Minister of New and Renewable Energy – Piyush Goyal)
India has set a target of 175 GW of renewable energy capacity by 2022, which includes 100 GW of solar power, 60 GW of wind power, 10 GW of biomass-fired power and 5 GW of small hydro power.
Inter-Ministerial Coordination Committee to tackle issues of pharma industry
The Department of Pharmaceuticals (DoP) has been instituted as an inter-ministerial coordination committee to address the issues of pharma industry.
- It is set up on the sidelines of “Enabling Private Sector to lead the growth of Pharmaceutical Industry” who recommended this committee in June.
The committee will be chaired by the DoP Secretary
Representatives of Chairman of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority
Secretary, Department of Health and Family Welfare
Secretary, Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change
Secretary, Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion
Secretary, Department of Commerce
Maharashtra cabinet approves new procurement policy
Maharashtra cabinet approved a new procurement policy to ensure transparency in purchases made by various departments with the introduction of new methods like Swiss challenge and electronic reverse auction.
- As per Policy industries and suppliers of state will get min 50% of purchases orders.
- Purchases of over Rs. 3 lakh will have to be made via e-tendering.
- 241 items will be reserved for purchases through tendering from small and medium enterprises and 20% of these purchases will have to be made from enterprises owned by scheduled caste and tribal entrepreneurs.
- An e-portal will also be developed by the state within three months for making purchases.
Portugal signs the MoU on the Establishment of Nalanda University
Memorandum has been signed between the India and Portugal on the Establishment of Nalanda University. With this Portugal became the seventeenth country to sign this MoU and first country from Europe and fourth outside the East Asia Summit.
- MoU was signed by Portuguese Ambassador Ana Martinho and Jitendra Nath Misra, Ambassador of India to Portugal
Other 16 countries that have already signed the Memorandum in this regard are Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Myanmar, New Zealand, Singapore, China, South Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka.
BANKING AND FINANCE
Australia clears way for Adani Group’s $7 billion coal and rail project
On 15th October 2015 an environmental permit for the construction of coal mines of Adani Enterprises was reissued d by the Australian government.Australian Environment Minister Greg Hunt’s decision opens the way for Adani to proceed the project in the undeveloped Galilee Basin .The project is about $ 7 Billion.This project will give billions of dollars as export revenue for Australia.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
Cristiano Ronaldo honoured with fourth Golden Boot
Being a leader in league goal scoring charts of season 2014-15, the 30 years old Cristiano Ronaldo was awarded the European Golden Boot in Madrid.
Breaking the 47 years history record by winning it 4th time Ronaldo earlier bagged this achievement in 2007-08 with Manchester United, 2010-11 and 2013-14 with Real Madrid.
- Soccer superstar scored 48 goals in 35 matches in La Liga last season followed by Lionel Messi with 43 goals Sergio Aguero with 26 goals
- European Golden Shoe award was initiated in the season of 1967–68 is an association football award which is presented annually to the leading goal scorer in league matches of every European national league.
Omid Kordestani – Google executive to Twitter chairman
Chirping Twitter appointed erstwhile Google executive Omid Kordestani as its executive chairman. His appointed boosted up the social media company’s share with 1% to $29.36.
- Kordestani, who hold a master degree in business administration from Stanford University
- In 1999 he joined Google as its 11th employee and after serving 10 years of service he became senior adviser at Google
- Earlier Jack Dorsey was appointed as the Twitter’s CEO
International Day of Rural Women observed
International women day was observed on 15th October to recognize rural women contribution in agricultural sectors and global food production. It mainly aimed at to rise to profile of rural women. It was first observed on 15 October 2008.
The day is supported
- The International Federation of Agricultural Producers (IFAP)
- Associated Country Women of the World (ACWW)
- Network of African Rural Women Associations (NARWA)
- Women’s World Summit Foundation (WWSF).
Youth awakening day celebration in Tamil Nadu
Commemorating Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam 84th birthday Tamil Nadu’s school and higher education departments celebrated Youth Awakening Day. As a part of celebration elocution, essay writing and an exhibition of scientific models are marked.
- Apart from above Nandha Group of Institutions provided 5,000 saplings to the public to mark the occasion, under the aegis of its Human Resource wing Manitham
- Confederation of Indian Industry’s Young Indians celebrated the day with its programe “Visioning for India” addressed by Stalin Gunasekaran, President of Makkal Sinthanai Peravai.