Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
2018 G-20 Chair to be hold by Indias
The G-20 member’s nation finalized the decision in September that India will be chairing G20 in 2018 and New Delhi is the expected venue for annual G20 summit.
In 2015 the presidency is held by Turkey. Now Turkey will transfer the Chair to China for the next year (2016) meet then China will pass it to Germany which will hold it in 2017.
ABOUT G-20 SUMMIT
- G-20 summit is an international group of 20 major economies
- It is formed in 1999 to discuss issues and to promote international financial stability.
- Chairman – Ahmet Davutoglu of Turkey
- G-20 nations – Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, United States and European Union.
Palestinians celebrate hoisting of flag at UN
With the vote of 119 member states the draft resolution is passed which raised the Palestinian flag for the first time at the UN headquarters which is never done for a non – member state. This whole ceremony is celebrated this historic moment happily.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas addressed this ceremony to the martyrs, the prisoners and the wounded and to the persons who lost their lives in try to raise this flag.
- Palestian capital – Ramallah
- Palestian currency – Jordanian dinar, Israeli new shekel
- Palestian President – Mahmoud Abbas
- Plaestian PM – Rami Hamdallah
Banking & Finance
Awards and Recognition
Forbes lifetime achievement award goes to Maruti Suzuki Chairman RC Bhargava
Forbes India Leadership lifetime achievement award 2015 is conferred to Maruti Suzuki Chairman RC Bhargava. The award appreciates his long term exemplary contribution to the Indian business community and his leadership qualities.
He was also honoured with “Order of the Rising Sun Gold and Silver Star” by the Emperor of Japan
- Mr Bhargava is an IAS topper of 1956 batch and is one of the founding members of Maruti in 1982.
- From 1990 to 1997 he led the company as its Managing Director
- Since 2007 he is serving Maruti Suzuki as its chairman which is one of the country’s largest car makers.
- He also serves the board of several leading corporates as their board member.
Infosys China CEO becomes 1st Indian to receive Shanghai award
CEO of Infosys China Rangarajan Vellamore (48) became the first Indian to confer with highest honour for foreigners – Magnolia Gold award of Shanghai Municipal Government for his contributions towards the development of China’s financial hub located in IT industry in Shanghai.
- The award was presented by Shanghai Mayor Yang Xiong to Mr. Vellamore at a special function.
- In 2011 Rangarajan was honoured with Magnolia Silver award.
His native place is Chennai but from 8 years he has been residing in east China’s Shanghai metropolis.
UK city of Coventry honours Ratan Tata
- Leading Indian industrialist Ratan Tata has been felicitated by the city of Coventry with its highest award in recognition of his contributions to the West Midlands region of central England.
- The Tata Group Chairman Emeritus took oath as an Honorary Freeman of the City of Coventry, an award only 13 people have been conferred with since 1914.
Porsche names Oliver Blume new CEO
Mr. Oliver Blume (47) appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Volkswagen’s Porsche. The decision has been taken by the Porsche supervisory board.
- He will succeed Matthias Mueller who was earlier appointed as the controversial Diesel Dupe car company Volkswagen CEO.
- Porsche also apponited Detlev von Platen as the chief of its sales and marketing department succeeding Bernhard Maier who moved to Czech Republic and takes over as the CEO of Skoda.
Porsche is headquartered as Stuttgart, Germany and it is owned by its parent company Volkswagen.
Rajiv Lall appointed as MD & CEO of IDFC
Rajiv Lall taken over as the MD & CEO of IDFC Bank after the Board of IDFC Ltd accepted his resignation as Executive Chairman of the company with effect from September 30, 2015
- On 1st October 2015 IDFC started its operations as full bloom bank with 23 branches out of which 15 are opened in 3 districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- IDFC headquarters – Mumbai
On the other hand Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services has certified this newly born bank with its BBB – long-term and A-3 – short-term credit ratings which represent company’s sound capitalisation and earnings, strong management, and satisfactory business stability.
Science & Technology
Australia launches Sky Muster – A communication satellite
Australia launches its communications satellite named “Sky Muster (NBN-Co 1A)”on Ariane 5ECA rocket from Guiana Space Centre in Kourou, French Guiana which is aimed to provide high speed internet facilities to Australian Nation. It is operated by National Broadband Network (NBN) which will cover the isolated areas also.
NICKNAMED – “great hope” which signals to Australia’s broadband network
- It’s one of the world’s largest communication satellites and it will be used to as means to provide broadband facilities to Australia by connecting nearly 400000 homes.
- Along with Sky Muster Argentina’s ARSAT – 2 is also launched.
Sky Muster’s working will check by number of tests and is expecting to provide services by 2016.
Germany moved up to No.2 in FIFA rankings
Some changes have been done in the in the October edition of the FIFA World Ranking by taking in account of the result of 149 international matches
- While Argentina remained as a top star the World Cup champion Germany has also regained its position to second place in the FIFA rankings.
- Belgium is ranked at third position followed by Portugal and Colombia.
- Austria is also bagged its first ever higher ranking at No. 11
- The biggest move up is of Liberia which laddered 65 places and reached at No. 95.
ABOUT FIFA RANKING
- FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association) world ranking is given to the men’s national teams of football.
- Football teams are ranked on the basis on the basis of their game results.
- The ranking were inducted in December 1992
India to host 2017 World Cup
India is going to be the host of combined shotgun/rifle/pistol World Cup in 2017 and if event will get successful then NRAI (National Rifle Association of India) will get eligible for bidding to host the 2018 combined World Championship which is having a 70 quota places for 2020 Olympic Games.
- National Rifle Association of India was established in 1951
- NRAI has affiliation from Indian Olympic Association and all International Shooting Federations
- Founded by first speaker of Lok Sabha, G.V. Mavlankar
- President of NRAI – Sh. Raninder Singh
Indian eves stand fourth in ICC team rankings
- The Indian women’s cricket team stands fourth in the latest ICC team rankings with the new innovative multi-format system brought into place.
- Australia are ranked number one following its success in the ICC Women’s World Cup 2013 in India.
- England are ranked second in the 10-team table, 10 points behind Australia, followed by New Zealand (109), India (105), West Indies (99), South Africa (92), Pakistan (81), Sri Lanka (74), Bangladesh (57) and Ireland (26).
Sarita Devi completes ban
- Boxer Sarita Devi, who completed her one-year ban on Wednesday, is looking forward to resuming her international career.
- Sarita Devi faces one year ban from the international boxing association for refusing to accept her Asian Games bronze medal after a controversial bout vs South Korea’s J Park.
British Director John Guillermin passes away
Veteran British director, writer and producer and the director of super hit movie King Kong (1976) and The Towering Inferno John Guillerminhas died at the age of 89.
- He was awarded with Evening Standard British Film Award for Death on the Nile in 1980
- Mr Guillermin was born in London and got his education from Cambridge University
- He served the Royal Air Force before beginning his career as a documentary filmmaker in France
International Day of Older Persons
October 1 is observed as the International Day of Older Persons every year but this year it becomes more special with its 25th anniversary. On this occasion President Pranab Mukherjee awarded Vayoshreshtha Samman to recognize their exemplary efforts towards society.
- It was established in December 14, 1990
- Theme – Sustainability and Age Inclusiveness in the Urban Environment
International Day of Older Persons is celebrated to aware the people around the world about issues which affects our senior citizens and to appreciate their contributions which makes to society. It is also to encourage people about their responsibilities and duties to make the lives of elderly people safe and happy.
World Vegetarian Day observed globally
- World Vegetarian Day was observed on 1 October 2015. The day was established as an annual celebration to promote the joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities of vegetarianism.
- It brings awareness to the ethical, environmental, health and humanitarian benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle.
- The day was originated by the North American Vegetarian Society in 1977 and endorsed by the International Vegetarian Union in 1978.