AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs August 6 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Where was NITI Aayog’s International Conference on “Sustainable Growth through Material Recycling: Policy Prescriptions” held on 6th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.New Delhi
On August 6, 2018, NITI Aayog’s International Conference on “Sustainable Growth through Material Recycling: Policy Prescriptions” was inaugurated by the Union Minister of Road Transport, Highways & Ganga Rejuvenation, Shri. Nitin Gadkari at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi. Development and growth of material recycling in India, creating jobs , reducing exports and protecting the environment. It had 5 technical sessions.
- Which state government has constituted two committees to deal with illegal migrants, following the final draft of National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Manipur
The first is State Level Monitoring Committee which will monitor the entry or presence of illegal immigrants in the state. It is headed by Special Secretary (Home) and includes all the Deputy Commissioners and SPs as its members. The second is : the District Level Monitoring Committee with respective deputy commissioners as its chairman.
- India and Sri Lanka will hold the _____ round of talks on free trade agreements and aims at concluding the negotiations by December 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.10th
On August 6, 2018, India and Sri Lanka are going to hold the 10th round of talks on free trade agreements and aims at concluding the negotiations by December. The Economic and Technology Co-operation Agreement (ETCA) would help in boosting economic ties between the two countries by liberalising trade norms. This would widen the scope by including services and investments in it.
- Which state government is setting up a biotech and pharma facility named B-Hub, which will be India’s first organised cluster for life sciences Research & Development at Genome Valley?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.Telangana
It has been built with an investment of Rs.60 crore. The space for the facility is: 40,000 square feet. The B-Hub will be set up through the PPP (Public-Private Partnership) model. Along with this a dedicated web portal for the life sciences sector has been launched. It would create an interface between the government, Industries, Research Institutions and Start-ups.
- Which Indian state unveiled the world’s first-ever thermal battery on 6th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Andhra Pradesh
On August 6, 2018, Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu unveiled the world’s first-ever thermal battery in Amravati, Andhra Pradesh state. It has been manufactured by the Bharat Energy Storage Technology Private Limited (BEST). It had an estimated cost of Rs 660 crore. It has a capacity of 1,000 MW and would be enhanced to 10 GW in the next six to seven years. The plant in Andhra Pradesh is expected to start commercial operations by May 2019.
- Where was the 5th Act East Business Show -2018 held from 20th to 23rd June 2018?
4.Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
5.None of theseAnswer – 3.Shillong, Meghalaya
Aim: to strengthen business ties between ASEAN countries and northeastern states. Also, to explore the potential of Meghalaya and its neighboring states.
Organised by: Indian Chamber of Commerce along with Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (MDoNER).
Participation: delegates from ASEAN countries like Singapore, Taiwan, and Vietnam, etc. participated.
Inaugurated by: Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma.
Main focus was to boost the bamboo sector of the region. North eastern states have great potential for development of bamboo-based industries.
- On August 6, 2018, 21 public sector banks and 3 major private sector lenders collected _____ from customers for non-maintenance of minimum balance in their accounts in 2017-18?
1.Rs 4,989.55 crore
2.Rs 3,678.78 crore
3.Rs 6,789.78 crore
4.Rs 2,789.89 crore
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Rs 4,989.55 crore
SBI collected Rs.2433 crore nearly half the amount raised by the 24 banks put together. Another 30% of the fines were raised by three large private lenders HDFC, ICICI and Axis. HDFC collected Rs 590.84 crore, Axis Bank collected Rs 530.12 crore and ICICI collected Rs. 317.6 crore. Accounts under Basic Savings Bank Deposit (BSBD) scheme as well as Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna are not required to maintain any minimum balance.
- On August 6, 2018, HDFC increased fixed deposit rates on various maturities by up to _____ %?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.0.6
Tenors Final increased rates (in %) 6 months to 9 months 6.75 9 months three days to 1 year 7 1 year to 2 years 7.25 2 years to 5 years 7.10
- _____ has launched the “Startup Academia Alliance programme”, which is a special mentorship opportunity between academic scholars and startups working in similar domains?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Startup India
Aim: to minimize the gap between scientific research and its industrial applications to enhance the impact of these technologies. This programme tries to implement the Industry Academia Partnerships and Incubation, which is the third pillar on which the Startup India Action Plan is based. The first phase of Startup Academia Alliance was initiated through partnering with Regional Centre for Biotechnology, The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), Council on Energy, Environment and Water, and TERI School of Advanced Studies. Scholars from these institutes working in renewable energy, biotechnology, healthcare and life sciences fields provided mentorship to startups.
- Who was appointed as member of the Country Code Names Supporting Organisation (ccNSO), on 3rd August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Ajay Data
Ajay Data has become the first Indian to be made member of the Country Code Names Supporting Organisation (ccNSO). He is the founder and CEO of Data XGen Plus. He will take up this position at ICANN’s 63rd Annual General Meeting in Barcelona, Spain, in October 2018. He will represent India at the global level. He will also be the custodian of Asia, Australia and Pacific Islands as a member of ccNSO.
- Name India’s first humanoid robot developed by Ranjit Srivastava, which can speak Hindi, Bhojpuri, Marathi and English?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Rashmi
Ranjit Srivastava hails from Ranchi. He is 38 years old. He has developed Rashmi, which is said to be the Indian version of ‘Sophia’ (a social humanoid robot developed by a Hong Kong based company). Ranjit Srivastava claimed Rashmi as the world’s first Hindi speaking realistic humanoid robot and India’s first lip-synching robot. Rashmi uses linguistic interpretation (LI), artificial intelligence (AI), visual data and facial recognition systems. It gives facial, eye, lips, and eyebrow expressions. It can move its neck. Ranjit Srivastava has developed Rashmi in 2 years at a cost of Rs 50,000. Head and body of Rashmi have been developed. He said that, a complete human shape would be achieved in a month’s time.
- Which country successfully tested “Xingkong-2” or “Starry Sky-2”, its first waverider hypersonic aircraft that could carry nuclear warheads and penetrate any current generation anti-missile defence systems, on 3rd August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.China
Xingkong-2 or Starry Sky-2 was launched in a target range in Northwest China. It was launched in a rocket and was released in the air after 10 minutes. It flew independently and landed in the targeted area after making large-angle turning maneuvers. It reached an altitude of30 km with a speed of Mach 5.5-6. It was designed by the China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics (CAAA) along with the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation. Waverider is a flight vehicle that flies in the atmosphere and utilises shockwaves produced by its own hypersonic flight with the air to glide at high speed.
- BWF World Championships 2018 also known as TOTAL BWF World Championships 2018 was held in Nanjing, China, from 30th July to 5th August 2018. Name the Mascot of the Championship?
5.None of theseAnswer – 2.Yu Bao
Mascot: was named “Yu Bao”. Its head resembled a badminton shuttlecock and the figure was holding a rocket in hand.
Emblem: was a personified shuttlecock. It featured Nanjing’s “City Wall” on its headband.
Motto: Sports of Inspiration, City of sensation.
This was the 24th edition of BWF World Championships. 359 athletes from various countries participated and 251 games were conducted.
- Who won the women’s singles title of BWF World Championships 2018, held in Nanjing, China?
2.P V Sindhu
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Carolina Marin
Event Gold medal Silver medal Men’s Singles Kento Momota (Japan) Shi Yuqi (China) Women’s Singles Carolina Marin (Spain) P V Sindhu (India) Men’s Doubles Li Junhui (China), Liu Yuchen (China) Takeshi Kamura (Japan), Keigo Sonoda (Japan) Women’s Singles Mayu Matsumoto (Japan), Wakana Nagahara (Japan) Yuki Fukushima (Japan), Sayaka Hirota (Japan) Mixed Doubles Zheng Siwei (China), Huang Yaqiong (China) Wang Yilü (China), Huang Dongping (China)[
- On July 28th to August 3, 2018, the biennial Asian Nations Cup Chess Tournament was held in Hamadan, Iran. What was India’s position in the overall ranking of the tournament?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.2
India won 5 medals: 1 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze. India ranked 2nd in the overall ranking. The winning team of Gold consisted of : Grand Master Harika Dronavalli , International Master Eesha Karavade, International Master Padmini Rout and Women’s International Masters (WIMs) Vaishali R, Aakanksha Hagawane. The hosts made it compulsory for all the women participants to wear a headscarf.
- Who created a world record for the 50 metres backstroke as he won the European Championship title in Glasgow, Scotland, on 4th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Kliment Kolesnikov
On 4th August 2018, Kliment Kolesnikov of Russia created a world record for the 50 metres backstroke as he won the European Championship title in Glasgow, Scotland. Kliment Kolesnikov recorded 24 seconds and broke the previous record by 0.04 seconds which was set by Britain’s Liam Tancock at the world championships in Rome in 2009. Kliment Kolesnikov won the gold medal and Romanian Robert-Andrei Glinta won the silver medal.
- Name the Indian table tennis player who won a bronze medal in the junior girls’ doubles along with Singapore’s Jingyi Zhou in the 2018 Hang Seng Hong Kong Junior and Cadet Open, in Hong Kong, on 4th August 2018?
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Swastika Ghosh
Swastika Ghosh and Jingyi Zhou pair was defeated by Li Lin Jassy Tan of Singapore and Ruei Ling Wen of Taipei 2-3 in the semi finals. In the junior boys’ doubles category, Indian pair of Raegan Alberquerque and Payas Jain pair reached pre-quarters. But they were knocked out as they lost to Yanapong Panagitgun and Supakron Pankhaoyoy of Thailand.
- Los Cabos Open 2018 also known as the Abierto Mexicano de Tenis Mifel presentado por Cinemex was held in Los Cabos, Mexico, from 30th July to 4th August 2018. Who won the men’s single title of the tournament?
2.Juan Martín del Potro
4.Miguel Ángel Reyes-Varela
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Fabio Fognini
Italy’s Fabio Fognini defeated Argentina’s Juan Martín del Potro 6–4, 6–2 in the finals and won the men’s singles title.El Salvador’s Marcelo Arévalo and Mexico’s Miguel Ángel Reyes-Varela defeated United States of America’s Taylor Fritz and Australia’s Thanasi Kokkinakis 6-4, 6-4 in the finals and won the men’s doubles title.
- Which country won the Women’s Hockey World Cup 2018 that concluded in London on 5th August 2018, becoming world champions in Women’s hockey for a record 8th time?
5[/.None of theseAnswer – 3.Netherlands
Defending champions the Netherlands defeated Ireland 6-0 in the finals and won the Women’s Hockey World Cup 2018 title. The Netherlands have emerged as the world champions in Women’s hockey for a record 8th time. They have extended their unbeaten performance in all competitions to 32 matches. Kitty van Male, one among the 6 different goal scorers emerged as the top scorer of the tournament with 8 goals. Spain won the third place match by defeating Australia 3-1 and won their first World Cup medal. India finished the tournament at 8th position.
- When was 73rd Hiroshima day observed?
5.None of theseAnswer – 4.August 6
August 6, 2018, marks the 73rd anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. On this day in 1945, the US bomber Enola Gay dropped the first atomic bomb nicknamed ‘Little Boy’ ever used in military combat on Hiroshima. The Atomic Bomb Dome was located almost directly underneath the explosion was designated as a World Heritage Site in 1996.
- Mughalsarai Junction of Uttar Pradesh was renamed as ______ on 5th August 2018?
1.Deen Dayal Upadhyay Junction
2.B R Ambedkar Junction
3.Chatrapati Shivaji Junction
4.Rajiv Gandhi Junction
5.None of theseAnswer – 1.Deen Dayal Upadhyay Junction
The Mughalsarai Junction was officially renamed after RSS ideologue Deen Dayal Upadhyay. The leaders also laid the foundation stone for a 63-feet-tall statue of Upadhyay. The BJP and RSS had been demanding that the junction be renamed after Deen Dayal Upadhyay who was found dead near this station on February 24, 1968, under mysterious circumstances.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the President and headquarters of BWF (Badminton World Federation)?President – Poul-Erik Høyer; Headquarters – Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Who is the Chairperson of Country Code Names Supporting Organisation (ccNSO)?Katrina Sataki
- Who is the secretary general of Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN)?H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi
- Name the President of Hockey India?Rajinder Singh
- Who is the Chairman of Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP)?Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh