AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs December 29 2018 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2018
- Current Affairs Today
- Current Affairs December 2018
- Current Affairs November 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs October 2018 PDF
- Current Affairs 2018 PDF
- Where was the 5-day long 42nd Indian Social Science Congress inaugurated by Governor of Manipur, Dr. Najma A. Heptulla, on 27th December 2018?
1) Imphal, Manipur
2) Bhubaneswar, Odisha
3) Raipur, Chhattisgarh
4) New Delhi, Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bhubaneswar, Odisha
On December 27, 2018, Governor of Manipur, Dr. Najma A. Heptulla inaugurated the 5-day long 42nd Indian Social Science Congress at theKalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT) campus in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. The event was organised by: KIIT and Indian Social Science Academy (ISSA). The theme of the conference is “Human Future in Digital Era.” The previous conference, the 41st Indian Social Science Congress was held in Periyar University in Tamil Nadu, with the focal theme of “Indian University Education System: A Critical Appraisal”.
- Government banned the Khalistan Liberation Force under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act on 27thDecember 2018, for its involvement in terror activities, aimed at secession of which state?
1) West Bengal
4) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Punjab
On December 27th, 2018, The Government has banned the Khalistan Liberation Force under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, for its wholesome involvement in various killings, bombings and other allied terror activities, in the course of its aggressive call for the aimed secession of Punjab. The verdict has been given effect to owing to the efforts by several militant organizations for revival of militancy in the state of Punjab. The complete ban on Khalistan Liberation Force(KLF) has been brought into effect because of its proven contribution towards the increment in the number of events for extortion, kidnappings, bank robberies and assassination attempts of significant Government functionaries.
- Ministry of Road Transport and Highways notified that it is mandatory to fit High Security Registration Plates (HSRP) for all vehicles from _____?
1) April 1, 2019
2) June 1, 2019
3) August 1, 2019
4) February 1,2019
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) April 1, 2019
On December 28, 2018, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways notified that it is mandatory to fit high security registration plates (HSRP) for all vehicles from April 1,2019. The official notification mandates that the high security registration plate including the third registration mark shall be supplied by the vehicle manufacturers along with the vehicles manufactured on or after April 1, 2019. The vehicle dealers can also provide the HSRP plates for old vehicles. The HSRP helps in keeping track of the vehicle, and makes it easier to trace a lost or stolen vehicle.
- Union Minister Nitin Gadkari laid foundation stones for how many projects for Yamuna Rejuvenation under the Namami Gange Programme in New Delhi, on 27th December 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 11
On 27th December 2018, Shri Nitin Gadkari, the current Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Road Transport & Highways and Shipping laid foundation stones for 11 projects for Yamuna Rejuvenation under the Namami Gange Programme in New Delhi. Under the Namami Gange Programme which has been initiated by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), a total of eleven projects have been undertaken to conserve the River Yamuna in Delhi. These projects are being covered by the Yamuna Action Plan (YAP) III which were launched by the Government of India with JICA assistance in Delhi and are located in three drainage zones which are Kondli, Rithala and Okhla. The executing agency for the projects is the Delhi Jal Board. Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Environment and Forest and Mr. Arvind Kejriwal, the Chief Minister of Delhi were also present at the occasion. Eight sewerage infrastructure projects, Waste Water Treatment Plants and Decentralized STPs comes under YAP-III.
- Union Cabinet approved Framework Agreement between India and which country for Cooperation in the Exploration and Uses of Outer Space for Peaceful Purposes, on 28th December 2018?
1) Sao Tome & Principe
3) San Marino
4) Marshall Islands
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Sao Tome & Principe
On December 28, 2018, the Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved Framework Agreement between India and Sao Tome & Principe. The MOU was signed on Cooperation in the Exploration and Uses of Outer Space for Peaceful Purposes. The Framework Agreement was signed in New Delhi, on 7th September 2018.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the Indian Human Spaceflight Initiative named Gaganyaan Programme on 28th December 2018, for which the expenditure for first phase amounts to ______?
1) Rs 9023 crores
2) Rs 8027 crores
3) Rs 7899 crores
4) Rs 4587 crores
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 9023 crores
On December 28, 2018, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the Indian Human Spaceflight Initiative: Gaganyaan Programme. The initiative consists of demonstration of Indian Human Spaceflight capability to low earth orbit for a mission duration ranging from one orbital period to a maximum of seven days. This will have a 3-member crew who will be carried by the human rated GSLV Mk-lll developed by ISRO. The space suit has been designed by DEBEL, a unit of the Defence Research and Development Organisation. The crew would be trained by Indian Army and Russia. The 1st phase of the expenditure accounts to a cost of Rs. 9023 crores. First human space flight demonstration is targeted to be completed within 40 months from the date of sanction.
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved the proposal for amendment of which act that aims at providing stringent punishment for committing sexual assault crime on a child, on 28th December 2018?
1) Sexual Offenders Punishment (SOP) Act, 2016
2) Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, 2012
3) Child Abusers Punishment (CAP) Act, 2015
4) Protection of Children and Women from Sexual Offenders (PCWSO) Act, 2014
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, 2012
On December 28, 2018, the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the proposal for amendment in the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, 2012. Amendments were made in Section-4, Section-5, Section-6, Section-9, Section-14, Section-15 and Section-42 of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, 2012. Amendments in Section-4, Section-5 and Section-6 aims to provide option of stringent punishment, including death penalty, for committing aggravated penetrative sexual assault crime on a child to protect the children from sexual abuse. Amendments in section-9 to protect children from sexual offences in times of natural calamities and disasters and in cases where children are administered, in any way, any hormone or any chemical substance, to attains early sexual maturity for the purpose of penetrative sexual assault. Amendments of Section-14 and Section-15 aims to address the menace of the child pornography by levying fine further penalizing the perpetrator with jail term or fine or both.
- Western Railway (WR) introduced a special heritage train on the Patalpani-Kalakund section in Ratlam district of _____, on 25th December 2018?
1) Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Madhya Pradesh
On 25th December 2018, Western Railway (WR) introduced a special heritage train on the Patalpani-Kalakund section in Madhya Pradesh’s Ratlam district. Railways ministry had decided to create infrastructure to preserve the British era Patalpani-Kalkund metre gauge rail line, which is part of Western Railway’s Ratlam division.The metre gauge line has since been converted into broad gauge line. The 9.5-km route passes through several tunnels offering a spectacular view of waterfalls and lush green mountain ranges.
- A Nepali citizen will not be able to spend more than _____ rupees per month while paying for goods and services in India, as per the new restrictions imposed by Nepal government, on 25th December 2018?
1) Rs 50,000
2) Rs 1 lakh
3) Rs 2 lakh
4) Rs 90,000
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rs 1 lakh
On 25th December 2018, in order to address the country’s current account deficit, Nepal imposed a monthly limit on the amount of Indian currency its citizen can spend in India while paying for goods and services. With the approval of new restrictions a Nepali citizen would be unable to spend more than ₹1 lakh per month while paying for goods and services in India. The policy which came into effect from 25th December 2018 will also be applicable to use of prepaid, credit and debit cards of Nepali banks for purchasing done in Indian Markets. However, the latest measure would exempt payment in hospitals and pharmacies in India. The decision was taken to deal with the growing problem of current account deficit and the balance of payment crisis between India and Nepal.
- Name the bank that penalised the highest number of employees for defrauding bank assets in the last 3 years out of 60 scheduled commercial banks operating in India?
1) Axis Bank
2) ICICI Bank
3) HDFC Bank
4) State Bank of India
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) ICICI Bank
On December 27, 2018, according to data furnished by the Reserve Bank of India, between 2015 and 2017, private lender ICICI Bank penalised the highest number of employees for defrauding bank assets in the last three year out of 60 scheduled commercial banks operating in India. It is followed by State Bank of India and Punjab National Bank. In all, banks took action against a staggering 13,949 officials, of which 16 per cent, or 2,236, belonged to ICICI. However, the number of fraud cases has declined over the past 3 years.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has relaxed norms for City Co-operative Bank, allowing its depositors to withdraw a sum not exceeding _____ rupees of the total balance in any deposit account, against the earlier limit of Rs 1,000?
1) Rs 5,000
2) Rs 10,000
3) Rs 15,000
4) Rs 2,000
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 5,000
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has relaxed the norms for the Mumbai-based the City Co-operative Bank, allowing its depositors to withdraw a sum not exceeding Rs 5,000 of the total balance in every savings bank or current account or any other deposit account, against Rs 1,000 earlier. Earlier in April this year, the RBI had imposed several restrictions on the cooperative bank, including limiting the withdrawal by depositors to Rs 1,000 amid weakening of the financial position of the bank. The RBI had relaxed the said norm with the condition that- wherever any depositor is having liability to the bank in any manner, i.e. either as a borrower or surety, including loans against the bank deposits, the amount may be adjusted first to the relevant borrowal account/s. The central bank has said that the modification in the directive “should not per-se be construed” to imply that it is satisfied about an improvement in the financial position of the bank.
- Which group became India’s largest conglomerate in terms of market capitalization with a total worth of Rs. 10.40 lakh crore, as per Bloomberg data, on 28th December 2018?
1) Tata Group
2) HDFC Group
3) Reliance Group
4) Adani-Wilmar Group
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) HDFC Group
On December 28, 2018, according to Bloomberg data, Deepak Parekh-led HDFC group overtook Tata Group become the country’s largest conglomerate in terms of market capitalisation. The total market capitalization (MACP) of the group’s five listed companies is currently valued at Rs 10.40 lakh crore, which is Rs 1,185 crore more than that of Tata Group. HDFC Bank, a part of the group, is only the third company in Indian corporate history to cross the Rs 5-lakh crore market capitalisation threshold, after TCS (Rs 7.16 trillion) and RIL (Rs 7.09 trillion). Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance group is third in market cap ranking at Rs 7.06 lakh crore.
- Reserve Bank of India cleared a proposal to give existing _____ rupees corpus to Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) for funding micro finance institutions (MFIs), on 27th December 2018?
1) Rs 1000 crore
2) Rs 2100 crore
3) Rs 3000 crore
4) Rs 4300 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 1000 crore
On December 27, 2018, Reserve Bank of India cleared a proposal to give existing Rs 1000-crore corpus to Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) for funding micro finance institutions (MFIs). With this, soft loans to MFIs would be provided on a condition that end borrowers should get loans at 15-17% rate, lower than the market rate of 20-22%.For this SIDBI had tied up with entities such as Uttar Pradesh-based Cashpor Micro Credit and Karnataka-based Shri Kshetra Dharmasthala Rural Development Project (SKDRDP) and the next tie up would be with Odisha. Additionally, this would also enable SIDBI to fund the “missing middle segment” whose range varies from Rs 50000 to Rs 3 lakh, which can be increased o Rs 5 lakh, for the first time.
- State Bank of India (SBI) has been authorized to issue and encash Electoral Bonds through its 29 Authorized Branches, in the 7th Phase of sale, from 1st to 10th January 2019. The electoral bond is valid for how many days?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 15
The State Bank of India (SBI), in the VII Phase of sale of Electoral Bonds, has been authorized to issue and encash Electoral Bonds through its 29 Authorized Branches w.e.f. 01.01.2019 to 10.01.2019. Electoral Bonds shall be valid for fifteen calendar days from the date of issue and no payment shall be made to any payee Political Party if the Electoral Bond is deposited after expiry of the validity period. The Electoral Bond deposited by an eligible Political Party in its account shall be credited on the same day.
- Union Government has decided to infuse ____ rupees in the United Bank of India as a part of Rs 28,615 crore capital infusion to be done in 7 public sector banks through recapitalisation bonds in near future?
1) Rs 2,159 crore
2) Rs 6,788 crore
3) Rs 5,223 crore
4) Rs 3,890 crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Rs 2,159 crore
On 26th December 2018, the Union Government decided to infuse Rs 2,159 crore in the State-owned United Bank of India asa part of Rs 28,615 crore capital infusion to be done in seven public sector banks via recapitalisation bonds in near future. According to sources, the recapitalization amount that the seven public sector banks might receive is as follows:
Name of Bank Recapitalization Amount (Rs.) Bank of India 10,086 crore Central Bank of India 1,678 crore United Bank of India 2,159 crore Oriental Bank of Commerce 5,500 crore Bank of Maharashtra 4,498 crore UCO bank 3,056 crore Syndicate Bank 1,638 crore
- Which PSU (Public Sector Undertakings) emerged as the most profitable PSU in 2017-18 according to a survey titled ‘The Public Enterprises Survey 2017-18’ prepared by the Department of Public Enterprises, Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises?
1) Indian Oil Corporation
2) Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
3) National Thermal Power Corporation
4) Power Grid Corporation
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Indian Oil Corporation
On December 27, 2018, according to a survey titled ‘The Public Enterprises Survey 2017-18’ tabled in the parliament, Indian Oil Corporation, ONGC and NTPC emerged as the top three most profitable PSUs in 2017-18. The survey mapped the performance of central public sector units. It was prepared by the Department of Public Enterprises, Ministry of Heavy Industries & Public Enterprises. The top ten loss making PSUs claimed 84.71 per cent of the total losses made by all the 71 CPSEs. The top ten profit making CPSEs accounted for 61.83 per cent of the total profit earned by all the 184 profit making state-owned firms during the year. Indian Oil Corporation, ONGC and NTPC emerged as the top three most profitable PSUs in 2017-18 and contributed to 13.37 per cent, 12.49 per cent and 6.48 per cent, respectively to the total profit earned by CPSEs during the same period. The top 5 was closed off by, Coal India and Power Grid Corporation occupying the fourth and fifth spot in the list.
- India has been getting foreign investment of over ____ dollars, and has surpassed China for the first time in two decades, as per data from Dealogic, a Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) and capital markets data provider?
1) $32 billion
2) $38 billion
3) $43 billion
4) $52 billion
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) $38 billion
According to data from Dealogic, a global Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) and capital markets data provider, India has been getting more foreign investment than its neighbour China for the first time in two decades. In 2018, India whose financial market is supported by stable fundamentals, a bankruptcy code and fresh opportunities in sunrise sectors, saw more than $38 billion of inbound deals compared with China’s $32 billion. China, which has historically been the favourite for emerging market bets, is facing slowdown nowadays because of its trade standoff with the United States. India has had a busy Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) calendar in 2018 and it will continue to see good traction in inbound M&As besides, global investors are typically focusing on India despite short-term uncertainty over the political climate. The wealthy foreign investors are attracted to deploy funds in the country since the asset divestment is happening because of the new bankruptcy framework.
- Who won the Balkan Athlete of the year award on 27th December 2018?
1) Simona Halep
2) Novak Djokovik
3) Luka Modric
4) Roger Federer
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Luka Modric
On 27th December 2018, Croatia’s captain and Spanish club Real Madrid’s midfielder Luka Modric was named the Balkan Athlete of the year beating Men’s tennis world number one player Novak Djokovic. The poll to name Balkan Athlete of the year was organized by the Bulgarian News Agency (BTA). Serbian player Novak Djokovik got second position whereas women’s number one tennis Romania’s Simona Halep got third position in the Balkan’s poll. Luka Modric lead Croatia to the FIFA World cup final and bagged player of the tournament for the FIFA 2018 organized in Russia. Modrik had also won the prestigious men’s Ballon d’Or award for the first time in December 2018.
- Name the person who has been named as the most admired man by Americans for the 11th year in a row according to a gallup poll?
1) Donald Trump
2) Hillary Clinton
3) Barack Obama
4) Brad Pitt
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Barack Obama
Former President of United States of America (USA), Barack Obama has been named as the most admired man by Americans for the 11th year in a row according to a gallup poll. Present President of USA, Donald trumps ranked 2nd for the fourth consecutive year. Former First Lady of USA Michelle Obama was also voted as the most admired women by American. Hillary Clinton missed the top of the list for the list time in 17 years.
- Who was elected as the new President of Madagascar, on 27th December 2018?
1) Andry Rajoelina
2) Marc Ravalomanana
3) Ramon Miguel
4) Oliver Mandrova
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Andry Rajoelina
On December 27th, 2018, Andry Rajoelina, a former leader of Madagascar has won the country’s presidential vote and in the process defeated Marc Ravalomanana, who was another former President of the country. Rajoelina won nearly 56% of the votes and had got 39% of the vote during the first round of the election, whereas, Mr. Ravalomanana had got 35%.The former president of the country, Henry Rajaonarimampianina was eliminated in the first round of the election as he obtained just 9% of the votes. Both Rajoelina and Ravalomanana are wealthy men and were barred from the 2013 presidential race and had promised to boost the economy of the country. Although, the elections had been beset by allegations of fraud.
- ___ was appointed as acting Chief Justice of Andhra High Court, with effect from January 1, 2019?
1) Justice Chagari Praveen Kumar
2) Justice Mathur Srinivasan
3) Justice Amarnath Payal
4) Justice Rushyanth Singh
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Justice Chagari Praveen Kumar
On December 28th, 2018, Honorable President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Justice Chagari Praveen Kumar as the fresh acting Chief Justice of Andhra High Court. He would assume the charge on January 01, 2019. Upon the requirement of creation of a new High Court for Andhra Pradesh in the state capital of Amravati, Mr. Praveen Kumar was hired for the new position. Under the provisions of Article 223 of the Constitution of India, President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Justice Chagari Praveen Kumar, in order to discharge the designated duties of the office of Chief Justice of Andhra High Court.
- Name the person who was appointed as Chairman and Managing Director of South Eastern Coalfields Limited (SECL), on 27th December 2018?
1) Sathya Kumar S
2) Mahendra Prathap
3) Vinesh Balki
4) Ambika Prasad Panda
5) None of theseAnswer -4) Ambika Prasad Panda
On December 27th, 2018, with respect to the order issued by Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Ambika Prasad Panda has been given the opportunity of discharging the duties of Chairman and Managing Director of South Eastern Coalfields Limited (SECL). Mr. Panda is holding the position of Director(Finance) in SECL, as of now. The appointment of CMD of SECL has been done for a duration of five years.
- Which country successfully tested Russia’s S-400 missile air defence system worth USD 3 billion, on 27thDecember 2018?
4) United States of America (USA)
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) China
On December 27, 2018, China successfully tested Russia’s S-400 missile air defence system. It received the last shipments of the weaponry from Russia in July under a USD 3 billion contract signed in 2015. China was the first foreign buyer to seal a government-to-government deal with Russia in 2014 to procure the S-400 missile. It has a supersonic speed of 3 kilometre per second.
- Name the country that successfully test fired a new hypersonic missile dubbed “Avangard” with a speed of more than 30,000 kilometres per hour, on 26th December 2018?
3) United Kingdom
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Russia
On December 26, 2018, Russian President Vladimir Putin over saw the successful test of a new hypersonic missile dubbed “Avangard,” with speeds of more than 30,000 kilometres per hour in Moscow. The system would be ready for use from 2019. It has the ability to fly at 20 times the speed of sound and could manoeuvre up and down, meaning it could breach defence systems.
- BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) of _____, which is claimed to be a rival to the American Global Positioning System (GPS), started providing global services, on 27th December 2018?
2) South Korea
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) China
China’s BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS), touted as a rival to the widely-used American GPS, has started providing global services. The positioning accuracy of the system has reached 10 metres globally and five metres in the Asia-Pacific region. Its velocity accuracy is 0.2 metres per second, while its timing accuracy stands at 20 nanoseconds. Pakistan has become the first country to use the BeiDou system ending its reliance on the Global Positioning System (GPS).
- Name the Indian cricketer who scored 1138 runs in 2018 and surpassed former Indian Captain Rahul Dravid’s 16 year-record of highest runs in overseas Tests?
1) Shikhar Dawan
2) Prithvi Shaw
3) Virat Kohli
4) Mahendra Singh Dhoni
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Virat Kohli
On 27th December 2018, Indian Cricket team Captain, Virat Kohli surpassed former India’s Captain Rahul Dravid’s 16 years record of highest runs in overseas Tests after playing a knock of 82 runs on the second day of 3rd Test against Australia. Rahul Dravid had scored 1137 runs in Overseas Tests in 2002 which was broken by Virat Kohli who had scored 1138 runs in 2018.
- Who became the first person to complete a solo journey across Antarctica, unaided and unsupported, after finishing a two-month expedition in frigid temperatures and winds of 30 mph, on 26th December 2018?
1) Russell Steve
2) Colin O’Brady
3) Mike Delfino
4) Orson Hodge
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Colin O’Brady
On 26th December 2018, American adventurer Colin O’Brady became the first person to complete a solo journey across Antarctica, unaided and unsupported, after finishing a two-month expedition in frigid temperatures and winds of 30 mph. The 33 years old Colin O’Brady, took 54 days to complete the nearly 1,000 mile (1,600-kilometer) crossing of the frozen continent from north to south, with his voyage being tracked by GPS, and live updates of the trip were provided daily on his websitecolinobrady.com. On 3rd November 2018, O’Brady and an Englishman, Army Captain Louis Rudd, 49, set off individually from Union Glacier in a bid to be the first to complete a solo, unassisted crossing of Antarctica. Rudd is about a day or two behind O’Brady.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- What is the capital and currency of Sao Tome & Principe?Answer – Capital – Sao Tome; Currency – Sao Tome & Principe dobra
- Name the Chairman & MD and headquarters of Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI)?Answer – Chairman & MD – Mohammad Mustafa; Headquarters – Lucknow
- Who is the Prime Minister of Madagascar?Answer – Olivier Mahafaly Solonandrasana
- Finance Secretary of India is _____?Answer – Ajay Narayan Jha
- Name the governor of Odisha?Answer – Prof. Ganeshi Lal