On October 2, 2017, Union Environment Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan in association with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) launched SECURE Himalaya project for conservation of biodiversity, land and forest resources in the high Himalayan ecosystem.
Salient Features of SECURE Himalaya Project:
- SECURE Himalaya stands for securing livelihoods, conservation, sustainable use and restoration of high range Himalayan ecosystems.
- The project is meant for specific landscapes in High Himalaya ecosystem spread across four states viz. Jammu and Kasmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Sikkim.
- It focuses on securing livelihoods of the people in these landscapes.
- Under the project, enforcement to reduce wildlife crime will be enhanced. One of the key component of the project is protection of snow leopard and other endangered species and their habitats.
- Enhanced enforcement will also curb illegal trade in some medicinal and aromatic plants which are among the most threatened species in these landscapes.
Landscapes-States to be covered under SECURE Himalaya:
|Changthang||Jammu & Kashmir|
|Lahaul-Pangi and Kinnaur||Himachal Pradesh|
|Gangotri-Govind and Darma-Byans Valley in Pithoragarh||Uttarakhand|
|Kanchenjunga – Upper Teesta Valley||Sikkim|
National Wildlife Action Plan for the period 2017-2031 and Global Wildlife Programme conference
On October 2, 2017, during the inaugural day of Global Wildlife Programme conference in New Delhi, Harsh Vardhan also launched India Wildlife mobile App and released National Wildlife Action Plan for the period 2017-2031.
- Through 103 wildlife conservation actions and 250 projects, National Wildlife Action Plan for the period 2017-2031, which is India’s third National Wildlife action plan will focus on preservation of genetic diversity and sustainable development across the India.
- At the Global Wildlife Programme conference, the discussion revolved around leveraging collaborations to promote shared benefits on public-private partnerships and opportunities in wildlife-based tourism.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification