106th edition of the Australian Open tennis tournament took place at Melbourne, Australia from 15th – 28th January 2018.
Roger Federer beats Marin Cilic in five sets to win 20th Grand Slam title
On January 28, 2018, Roger Federer (of Switzerland) defeated Marin Cilic (of Croatio) to win the Men’s Singles title at Australian Open 2018.
- Federer defeated Cilic by 6-2, 6-7, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.
- By winning Australian Open 2018 Men’s singles title, Roger Federer became the first man to win 20 Grand Slam titles.
Caroline Wozniacki beats Simona Halep to win women’s title
On January 27, 2018, Caroline Wozniacki (of Denmark) defeated Simona Halep (of Romania) to win the Women’s singles title at Australian Open 2018.
- Caroline defeated Simona by 7-6, 3-6, 6-4.
- This was Caroline’s first Grand Slam title victory. By winning Australian Open 2018 women’s singles title, Caroline also regained her No. 1 position on Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) ranking.
Marach, Pavic claim Australian Open men’s doubles crown
Austrian Oliver Marach and Croatia’s Mate Pavic have won the Australian Open 2018 men’s doubles title.
- In the finals, Marach and Pavic defeated Colombian duo Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah by 6-4, 6-4.
- This victory was Marach and Pavic’s first grand slam title as a team.
Babos, Mladenovic win Australian Open women’s doubles
On January 26, 2018, Timea Babos of Hungary and Kristina Mladenovic of France won Australian Open 2018 women’s doubles title.
- In the finals, Babos and Mladenovic defeated Russian pair Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina by 6-4, 6-3.
- This was the first Grand Slam title for Babos, while Mladenovic had won French Open doubles with compatriot Caroline Garcia in 2016.
Gabriela Dabrowski -Mate Pavic beats Rohan Bopanna-Timea Babos to win Mixed doubles title
On January 28, 2018, Croatia’s Mate Pavic and Canada’s Gabriela Dabrowski won Australian Open 2018, Mixed doubles title.
- In the final match, Pavic – Dabrowski pair defeated Rohan Bopanna of India and Timea Babos of Hungary by 2-6, 6-4, 11-9.
- With this victory, Mate Pavic collected two Grand Slam titles within 24 hours after winning the Australian Open 2018 mixed doubles. In 2017, Dabrowski became the first Canadian woman to win a Grand Slam title when she won the French Open 2017 mixed championship with Bopanna.
2018 Australian Open – Winners:
|Men’s Singles||Roger Federer (Switzerland)||Marin Cilic (Croatia)|
|Women’s Singles||Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark)||Simona Halep (Romania)|
|Men’s Doubles||Oliver Marach (Austria) and Mate Pavic (Croatia)||Juan Sebastian Cabal (Colombia) and Robert Farah (Colombia)|
|Women’s Doubles||Timea Babos (Hungary) and Kristina Mladenovic (France)||Ekaterina Makarova (Russia) and Elena Vesnina (Russia)|
|Mixed Doubles||Gabriela Dabrowski (Canada) and Mate Pavic (Croatia)||Timea Babos (Hungary) and Rohan Bopanna (India)|
About Australian Open:
- Australian Openis a tennis tournament that is held annually since year 1905 over the last fortnight of January in Melbourne, Australia.
- Chronologically, it is first of four annual Grand Slam tournaments and is played on blue plexicushion (an acrylic-based hardcourt tennis surface).
- For the year 2018, the total prize money pool was 55000000 Australian Dollars.