India’s Leander Paes and Switzerland’s Martina Hingis beat French-Canadian pair of Kristina Mladenovic and Daniel Nestor in straight sets in the mixed doubles final in Melbourne. Previously Hingis won her mixed doubles title with Mahesh Bhupathi in 2006. Paes, the 41-year-old Indian, won the mixed double titles with Martina Navratilova at Melbourne Park in 2003.
Knowledge is Wealth
- In Tennis, there are four Grand Slam tournaments: The Australian Open, The French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open.
- There are five types of court surface used in professional play: Clay, Hard, Grass, Carpet and Wood.
- The International Tennis Federation (ITF) is the governing body of world tennis, made up of 210 national tennis associations. ITF’s Headquarters is London.
- The current President of ITF is Francesco Ricci Bitti.
- The Governing body of Indian Tennis is All India Tennis Association.