Siberia’s Novak Djokovic reclaimed the Australian Open title 7-6, 6-7, 6-3, 6-0 winner over the Scottish Andy Murray. It’s the fifth Australian Open triumph for the 27-year-old Serbian and his eighth Grand Slam overall. Djokovic has established himself as the premier men’s tennis player on the hard courts, having walked away with the Norman Brookes trophy in 2008, 2011-13 and again this year.
Knowledge is Wealth
- The modern game of tennis originated in Birmingham, England, in the late 19th century as “lawn tennis”.
- Djokovic is the first Serbian player to win multiple Grand Slams and the first Serbian player to rank No. 1 for more than 100 weeks.
- Currently Djokovic ranked world No. 1 by the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).
- The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna (RGKR) is India’s highest honour given for achievement in sports, given by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, government of India.
- Leander Paes is the only Tennis Player to win RGKR Award.