Yonex French Open 2017 Badminton tournament was held from 24th – 29th October, 2017 in Paris, France.French Open Badminton Tournament is held annually since 1909 in France.
- It is hosted by Federation Française de badminton (FFBa).
- In 2007, it was promoted as Badminton World Federation (BWF) tournament.
- Prize Money for Yonex French Open 2017 was USD 325000.
Kidambi Srikanth Wins French Open to Clinch 4th Super Series Title of 2017
On October 29, 2017, Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth became the first Indian to win the men’s singles title at French Open badminton tournament.
- In the final match played in Stade Pierre De Coubertin, Paris, Srikanth defeated Kento Nishimoto of Japan by 21-14, 21-13.
- With this victory, Srikanth also achieved the distinction of being the first Indian player to win four Super Series titles in a year.
Tai Tzu Ying is the new French Open Super Series champion
Tai Tzu Ying of Chinese Taipei has won women’s singles title at Yonex French Open Badminton 2017.
- In the final match, she defeated Akane Yamaguchi of Japan.
- It is to be noted that Tai Tzu Ying is currently at No. 1 position in Women’s Singles BWF World Rankings.
Taipei’s Jhe-Huei Lee and Yang Lee clinched Men’s doubles
Pair of Lee Jhe-Huei and Lee Yang of Chinese Taipei has won men’s doubles title at Yonex French Open Badminton 2017.
- In the final match they defeated the pair of Mathias Boe and Carsten Mogensen of Denmark
Greysia Polii & Apriyani Rahayu clinched women doubles
Pair of Apriyani Rahayu and Greysia Polii of Indonesia has won women’s doubles title at Yonex French Open Badminton 2017.
- In the final match they defeated the pair of Lee So Hee and Shin Seung Chan of South Korea.
Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir clinched Mixed doubles
Pair of Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir of Indonesia has won mixed doubles title at Yonex French Open Badminton 2017.
- In the final match they defeated the pair of Zheng Siwei and Chen Quingchen of China.
Srikanth becomes first Indian to play French open final, Sindhu crashes out
Indian Badminton player Kidambi Srikanth became the first Indian man to reach the final of French Open Super Series Badminton Tournament.
- In the semi final match of men’s singles category, Srikanth defeated compatriot HS Prannoy by 14-21, 21-19, 21-18.
- In semi final match of women’s singles category, India’s PV Sindhu lost to Japan’s Akane Yamaguchi by 21-14, 21-9.
Saina Nehwal Exits French Open; Loses to Akane Yamaguchi
On October 26, 2017, India’s Saina Nehwal exited from French Open after losing out to Japanese World No.5 Akane Yamaguchi.
- Saina’s match against Akane Yamaguchi lasted for 39 minutes. She suffered a straight-game loss by 9-21, 21-23.
Winners of Yonex French Open Badminton 2017 – Summary:
|Men’s Singles||Kidambi Srikanth (India)||Kenta Nishimoto (Japan)|
|Women’s Singles||Tai Tzu Ying (Chinese Taipei)||Akane Yamaguchi (Japan)|
|Men’s Doubles||Lee Jhe-Huei & Lee Yang (Chinese Taipei)||Mathias Boe & Carsten Mogensen (Denmark)|
|Women’s Doubles||Apriyani Rahayu & Greysia Polii (Indonesia)||Lee So Hee & Shin Seung Chan (South Korea)|
|Mixed Doubles||Tontowi Ahmad & Liliyana Natsir (Indonesia)||Zheng Siwei & Chen Quingchen (China)|