Welcome to Online Reasoning Section in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Statements & Inferences hich is BASED ON Bank EXAMS 2019 !!!
Statements & Inferences
Direction: In each of the following question, some statements are given. They may be inferred from the main statement or not. Read both the statements carefully and mark:
A police officer receives complain that MP of his district is taking bribe in order to facilitate some work.
I. Police officer should try to investigate the matter and catch red-handed that MP.
II. Police officer should wait for some more complain and then catch MP red-handed.
1) If only I follow
2) If only II follows
3) If both I and II follows
4) If neither I nor II follows
5) Data inadequateAnswer – 1) If only I follow
First is the viable course of action. He does not have to wait that a crime should happen and after that he will catch that MLA.
- Statement: For the efficient preparation of current affair one should daily take notes from the newspaper.
I. Current affair could not be prepare efficiently without newspaper
II. Making daily current affair notes help in efficient preparation.
1) If only assumption I is implicit
2) If neither assumption I nor II is implicit
3) If either assumption I or II is implicit
4) If only assumption II is implicit
5) If both assumption I and II is implicitAnswer – 4) If only assumption II is implicit
It is nowhere implied that making notes from the newspaper is the only one viable solution but making daily current affair notes is the clear assumption of the statement.
The National Skill development committee conducted an assessment among their trainers and found the performance below mandatory level.
I. Should immediately organise remedial courses and training to improve standards
II. Should terminate poor performers and hire new trainers.
1) If only I follows
2) If only II follows
3) If both I and II follows
4) If neither I nor II follows
5) If either I or II followsAnswer – 1) If only I follows
The immediate action is training. Firing people and hiring new people is increased cost and extreme action. The trainers can be given extra training at much lesser cost and can be retained. So I follow.
- India upped the tax on the super-rich (Income greater than INR 5 Cr/Year). There has been a considerable increase in Income Tax, increasing the minimum tax percentage to 25%. There have been no widespread protests in the country though. The educated populace have actually welcomed the move.
Which of the following assumption explains the status quo?
A) India reduced the taxes on luxury goods which made the super-rich very happy.
B) India warded off the tax on all car imports, giving the citizens a chance to use environment friendly cars.
C) Indian government has increased the minimum income level to be considered for taxation from 7 Lakhs to 10 Lakhs per annum.
D) Indian government has waived off all the loans on farmers.
1) Only A
2) Only A & B
3) Only C
4) Both C & D
5) Other than given options.Answer – 3) Only C
In the context of the question, III and IV seem like the answers. However, III makes more sense as it explains why the government has not drawn flak despite increasing the minimum tax percentage.
- Besides disregard for the ban of burning of paddy straw, with the support of several farmers’ unions, farmers have also cautioned the State government against taking stringent action against them. Several unions have made it clear that if police cases are registered against them, the government will have to face the consequences in the form of large-scale agitations.
What could be the possible reason behind the rebel of farmers?
1) Burning of paddy is the quickest and cheapest way of getting rid of the residue
2) Farmers fear for their freedom
3) It is the tradition and custom of the farmers
4) Farmers don’t want government to interfere in their matter
5) All of aboveAnswer – 1) Burning of paddy is the quickest and cheapest way of getting rid of the residue
After harvest, around 19.7 million tonnes of paddy straw is left on the fields and has to be disposed of to make way for wheat and burning of paddy is the quickest and cheapest way of getting rid of the residue.
The school, which used to provide free breakfast to ensure that the students receive at least one proper meal a day, stopped the facility from January as the Charity Society which used to fund the breakfast withdrew the support due to drop in donations.
Which of the following is an assumption implicit in the above statement?
1) The students may not receive any proper meal in a day from January
2) In future the donation to the Charity Society may further decrease.
3) The donations received by the Charity Society are used for social welfare.
4) The families either do not have the ability to provide proper meal to their children or ignorant of what a proper meal is.
5) None of these.Answer – 4) The families either do not have the ability to provide proper meal to their children or ignorant of what a proper meal is.
For 1: Based on some assessment, the school has come to the understanding that the students are not getting proper meal at home. No facts are provided to conform this. Hence, (1),is not implicit. For 2: There is no information given about the donation, which is given to the charity. Hence (2) is out of context. Statement (3) the statement has no reference to the utilization of funds. Hence it is out of context. For 4: The school authority was providing the breakfast to the students assuming that they are not getting a proper meal. Hence (4) is an assumption.
- A statistical data in Jamnagar, a village on the edge of Gir Forest in Gujarat, revealed that there has been a steady decline in the cattle population over the last six months. Since Jamnagar is on the edge of the Gir Forest, which is home to lions, it can be concluded that the cattle are being lost as they are prey to the big cats.
Which of the following if true most weakens the conclusion?
1) The lions find it easy to attack an animal from a herd.
2) Cows and Buffaloes are very weak animals and exhibit no self defence.
3) Wolves are notoriously famous predators of cattle and a significant population of them exist in the Gir Forest.
4) The herbivores have a poor night vision, while lions have a very good vision at night.
5) None of the aboveAnswer – 3) Wolves are notoriously famous predators of cattle and a significant population of them exist in the Gir Forest.
Choice (1), (2) and (4) strengthen the conclusion. In choice (3), it has been explained of the possibility that wolves may also attack the cattle, which weakens the conclusion that the cattle are being lost only to the big cats. Hence choice (3) is correct.
- Popcorn may be a humble snack for movie goers but for India’s multiplex industry it is the diet on which its revenue gets the much-needed bump even when movies don’t fire the bottom line. Food and beverage (F&B) segment has been a high earner at nearly 25% for multiplexes, and that’s why allowing food from outside can dim the prospects for this growing sector.
Which of the following can be concluded based on the information provided above?
1) The end of prohibition on outside food will come as a big dampener just when the multiplex industry is growing rapidly and exploring newer sources of income.
2) If state governments force multiplexes to sell F&B items at maximum retail price and allow outside food, the industry may have to put up with lower earnings growth in the coming months. Shares of leading multiplexes saw a sharp fall on Friday.
3) For instance, a tub of popcorn in most multiplexes costs nearly two times the price of a movie ticket. This fact also reflects in the financial numbers of many multiplex companies.
4) As more multiplexes come up, owners look for newer sources of revenue.
5) All can be inferred.Answer – 4) As more multiplexes come up, owners look for newer sources of revenue.
The correct answer is option 3, i.e. For instance, a tub of popcorn in most multiplexes costs nearly two times the price of a movie ticket. This fact also reflects in the financial numbers of many multiplex companies.
The focus in the above statement is on the multiplex industry generating income from popcorns. No matter the show goes flop or hit, popcorn satisfies a suitable income for the multiplexes. Based on the information stated, we must analyse all the option choices carefully.
(1) can be rejected as we are not concerned with the ‘news sources of income’ our primary focus is the association of popcorn sale with the multiplexes. Based on the similar grounds we can reject (2) and (4). Option (3) states a link between the popcorn sale and the income generated from that and is thus, a suitable deduction that can be made based on the information provided.
India’s secretive nuclear missile tracking ship, which will become part of an elaborate missile shield being planned against attacks is successfully undergoing harbour trials and is set to be delivered by December. The VC11184, a specialised Ocean Surveillance Ship being built for the National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO), is on its way to completion just over four years after it was ordered as part of the Modi government’s focus on creating a nuclear missile shield for the nation.
Courses of action:
I. The complex vessel, which will generate over 14 MW of power just to power up its tracking radars, will have multiple roles for India – from tracking enemy missiles to accurately giving data on tests that are routinely carried out of indigenous strategic missiles.
II. The next step will include sea trials by a joint team of the Indian Navy and the NTRO in which its specialised surveillance systems – three dome shaped antennas packed with sensors – will be extensively tested before the handing over.
III. The VC11184, which has not been given a formal ‘commissioning’ name yet, is one of the largest warships to be built at an Indian yard, weighing in at over 15,000 tonnes.
1) Only III follows
2) Neither I nor III follows
3) None follows
4) All except III and II
5) All I, II and III followAnswer – 2) Neither I nor III follows
The correct answer is option 2, i.e. Neither I nor III follows, i.e. only II follows.
A course of action is something that needs to be done considering the present scenario in mind. From the statement, it is evident that India’s secretive nuclear missile tracking ship, will get ready by this December.
From the options it is very much evident that even if one doesn’t understand the statement given we can still mark the answer choice. The hint is evident in the beginning of the second course of action where the word ‘next step’ is mentioned. It clearly suggests that this is the appropriate course of action and also suggests that this is the nest step which will include sea trials.
Both (I) and (III) can be rejected as (I) suggest what the vessel will do and does not suggest anything regarding the future course of action regarding the tracking ship. (III) is a very generic statement regarding the ship and in no way suggest a possible course of action thus, it can also be rejected.
Thus, all the course of actions stated except (II) are irrelevant and can be rejected.
- In what has been touted as the biggest Prime Day yet, Amazon India’s 36-hour blockbuster sales event is finally here. Open exclusively for all its Prime members, this edition promises 200 new product launches from top brands, unparalleled deals and top-notch video releases. While all categories are proposing massive discounts as well as great payment offers, shoppers will have myriad options to choose from among large appliances like washing machines, refrigerators, televisions as well as ACs and microwave ovens.
Which of the following is a perfect conjecture based on the given piece of information?
1) Other top deals include BPL’s side by side refrigerator for a little over Rs 45,000 at no cost EMI and massive discounts on brands such as LG, Hitachi and Samsung.
2) Not just on TVs, Amazon Prime Day is handing out heavy discounts and deals in refrigerators as well.
3) Amazon Prime Day is giving shoppers a very unusual – and tempting – deal in majority of the categories. Prime members can get their hands on a great deal of products that too at massive discounts.
4) Moreover, Amazon promises to get it delivered as soon as July 19 – just three days from now.
5) None can be inferred.Answer – 3) Amazon Prime Day is giving shoppers a very unusual – and tempting – deal in majority of the categories. Prime members can get their hands on a great deal of products that too at massive discounts.
The correct answer is option 3, i.e. Amazon Prime Day is giving shoppers a very unusual – and tempting – deal in majority of the categories. Prime members can get their hands on a great deal of products that too at massive discounts.
In the question it is stated that which of the following is a perfect conjecture, for understanding the question, we must first understand the meaning of the word ‘conjecture’. A ‘conjecture’ is an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information or in simple words we must look for a suitable option that can be inferred from the given information.
We first make sure to read the statement carefully and then see what immediate inferences can be drawn based on our first reading. The next step is to look at the statements given in the options, analyze them and see if they seem relevant with respect to the information/data provided to us.
From the statement, we can infer that Amazon is offering exclusive deals to its members in its 36-hour blockbuster sales event. From the option choices mentioned, we can infer that all except option 3 are vague and can be rejected.
Option 1 is about exact deal of ‘BPL’s side by side refrigerator’ which is not backed up by any evidence from the given statement. Option (2) only talks about ‘refrigerators’ and as a result is very specific to just one product. Option (4) can also be rejected as no information regarding the delivery on 19 June is evident from the information provided.
The option closest in meaning to this is option 3. All the other options seem irrelevant with respect to the data provided in the statement.