Telecom engineer and inventor Sam Pitroda has been designated as the Technical Advisor to the Odisha Government. He will be responsible for the IT Enabled Services sectors of the state.
- With this appointment he will get the rank of a Cabinet Minister. He will play key role in formulation Vision 2036 for [email protected], a vision document for 2036 to celebrate the 100 years of state’s formation.
About Sam Pitroda
1942 born Satyanarayan Gangaram Pitroda is a telecom engineer, inventor, entrepreneur and policymaker. He was born in Titilagarh, Odisha, India. In 1964, he traveled to Chicago to study electrical engineering.
- Sam Pitroda is a director of the Young Indian Company co-owned by Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
- Pitroda played a key role in telecom revolution as he launched the Center for the Development of Telematics (C-DOT) and served as Advisor to the Prime Minister (Rajiv Gandhi) on Technology Missions.
- Pitroda served as the chairman of the National Knowledge Commission under from 2005 to 2009.
- The March of Mobile Money: The Future of Lifestyle Management and Exploding Freedom: Roots in Technology Education.
- Dreaming Big: My Journey to Connect India, which was launched by Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani in October 2015.
Awards & Recognitions:
- In 2009 he was conferred with Padma Bhushan.
- In 2010, Sambalpur University honored Pitroda with D.Sc. on its 23rd convocation.
- In 2010, University of Illinois at Chicago College of medicine presented him an honorary degree.
- In 2011, International Telecommunication Union (ITU) conferred the World Telecommunication and Information Society Award.
Capital – Bhubaneswar
Chief Minister – Naveen Patnaik
Governor – S. C. Jamir