On december 11,2019 NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) announced to launch its rover ‘MARS 2020’ in the year 2020. The rover will land on Mars, the 4th closest planet to the sun. it is also known as the red planet. The rover is built and managed by NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory(JPL) in Pasadena, California,United States(US).Mars 2020:
- Mission: The mission will be launched on date between July 17 – August 5, 2020 from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station(CCAFS), Florida, US. The duration of the mission will be about 687 Earth days.
- The body of the Mars 2020 rover weighs 2,260 pounds (1,025 kilograms), compared with CURIOSITY, the previous rover launched by NASA in 2011. Curiosity’s weighed 1,982 pounds (899 kilograms).
- The rover will also explore a landscape shaped by water which is called the ‘Jezero Crater’, the site of an ancient delta. The rover will also look for actual signs of past life, or biosignatures, capturing samples of rocks and soil.
- New Technology Introduced: Mars 2020 will feature an important new technology i.e., Terrain Relative Navigation(TRN).
- Capturing features: ‘Mars 2020’ has 23 cameras, most of them are colour cameras. The rover also two microphones to capture not only the first sounds of a Mars landing but also Martian wind and the rover’s chemical-analyzing laser zaps.
- Other test to be carried: ‘Mars 2020’ will carry spacesuit samples, allowing scientists to study how the samples degrade. Making up of own rocket fuel technology by the astronauts using oxygen generator will be tested from the Martian atmosphere.
About National Aeronautics and Space Administration(NASA):
Founded- 29 July 1958.
Founder- Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Headquarters- Washington, D.C., United States(US).
Administrator- Jim Bridenstine (born as James Frederick Bridenstine).