PM Modi was on four days visit to Malaysia and Singapore for building trade ties and attracting investments to India and to attend the ASEAN-India Summit and 10th East Asia Summit. He also held talks with Prime Minister Najib Razak.
- Indian Cultural Centre in Kuala Lumpur would be named after veteran freedom fighter and commander of the Indian National Army Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
PM Modi and Najib Razak signing a plaque
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Malaysian Counterpart Najib Razak signing a plaque during the inaugural ceremony of Torana Gate in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
PM Narendra Modi unveils Swami Vivekananda’s statue in Malaysia
Narendra Modi today unveiled a 12-ft bronze statue of Swami Vivekananda in Malaysia.
- Swami Vivekananda who first gave the concept of “One Asia”that ASEAN and the East Asia Summits are talking about.
India & Malaysia signed 3 MoUs
- Cultural Exchange Programme agreement for 2015-2020
- Cooperation in Project Delivery and Monitoring
- Cooperation on Cyber Security
MoU was signed between Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-IN) and Cyber Security Malaysia.
Key highlight of PM Modi’s joint statement with PM Najib Razak in Malaysia
- MoU was signed on Performance Management Delivery Unit (PEMANDU)to ensure excellent cooperation in Public Administration and Governance.
- Announced the inauguration of Torana Gate at the entrance of Little India in Bricksfield, Kuala Lumpur.
- Agreed to upgrade our joint exercises and set up the SU-30 Forum.
- Emphasised on co-operation and enhanced Malaysian participationin projects like Make in India and Smart city initiatives.
- Defence cooperation including for advancing maritime security and strengthening disaster response.
Financial Aid to Malaysian Indian students
During 13th ASEAN-India Summit and 10th East Asia Summit, Indian NaMo announced a financial assistance of $1 million to India-Students Trust Fund for the benefit of Malaysian Indian students.
13th India – ASEAN Summit highlights
India and the leaders of the 10 member grouping will review the new Plan of Action (2016-2020) to further enhance ASEAN-India cooperation.
- Theme – Our People, Our Community, Our Vision
Hot topics – Terrorism, trade and South China Sea dispute
ASEAN to remain India’s largest partner
After a temporary decline, our trade increased to about US$76.5 billion in 2014-2015 and so has investments in both directions.
Full cooperation to ASEAN investors
Prime Minister promised ASEAN investors full cooperation in terms of facilitating their business operations in the republic and protecting innovators’ intellectual property (IP) rights.
Need to end territorial disputes
In accordance with accepted principles of international law, including the 1982 UN Convention on the law of the Sea, territorial disputes must be settled through peaceful means”.
India’s turn to mark in the resurgence of Asia
Govt actions in the last 18 months have reduced inflation while leading to higher GDP growth and foreign investment. To provide a transparent and predictable tax regime as well as protection to Intellectual Property Rights.
10th East Asia Summit (EAS)
The 10th East Asia Summit (EAS) was held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Theme – Our People, Our Community, Our Vision
The participant leaders reaffirmed their commitment to
- The 2005 Kuala Lumpur Declarationon the Establishment of the EAS
- The 2010 Ha Noi Declarationon the Commemoration of the 5th Anniversary of the EAS
- The 2011 Declaration of the EAS on the Principles for Mutually Beneficial Relations.
Modi visit to Singapore
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was in Singapore from Nov 23-25 on for his maiden official visit during which the two countries signed 10 agreements to elevate their relations to strategic partnership.
- The visit marks 50 years of formal ties between Singapore and India. India was the second nation to recognise Singapore after its independence in 1965.
- Mr Modi made his first trip to Singapore in 2006 while he was the chief minister of Gujarat.
- Bilateral ties – The highlight was the India-Singapore Strategic Partnership, which elevates the ties between the two countries. It will broaden and deepen ties across various sectors including defence relations, economic and cultural cooperation, skills development and capacity building.
- Economic ties – India offers opportunities to Singapore in economic. The strategic location of Singapore, a financial, aviation and maritime hub, with flow of investments, a large Indian Diaspora, and expertise in urban development, makes it a valued partner.
Mr Modi attended the State Funeral Service for the late Mr Lee in March, and he ordered flags in India to be flown at half-mast as a mark of respect to Mr Lee.
- Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his wife Ho Ching hosted Mr Modi to a vegetarian meal at Komala Vilas.
- Mr Modi received a rousing welcome from about 18,000 people, mainly Indian expatriates at the Singapore Expo organised by Singapore NRI Forum.
- Mr Modi also took a moment to take a photo with construction workers at the Indian National Army memorial at Esplanade Park and posted the snap on Facebook.
- Singapore currency – Singapore dollar
- Singapore President – Tony Tan