Under the flagship of the multipurpose Irrigation project; Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project(KLIP), the last and vital Markbook pump house was inaugurated on May 29 2020 by the Chief Minister of Telangana K Chandrasekhar Rao.
Note: Kaleeshwaram project is estimated to be around Rs One lakh crore and is divided into different packages to lift the water from Godavari river.
- The KLIP project entails an estimate cost of Rs 3,500 crore.
- It has a storage capacity of 15 TMC or tmcft (one thousand million cubic feet) .
- It will irrigate 2.85 lakh acres in Siddipet, Sangareddy, Medak, Yadadri-Bhongiri and Medchal Malkajgiri districts.
Note: Companies such as BHEL,Aandriz,Zylum ABB, Cropmton Greeves, VEGG etc. have also contributed to the performance of the project.
Construction of KLIP
- Mega Engineering and Infrastructure Limited (MIEL) built the Kondapochamma Sagar Reservoir and the pump house with six machines with a capacity of 27 Mega Watts (MW) each.
- A total of 15 pumping stations were built by the MIEL with a total capacity of 3,840 MW with a capacity to lift 2 TMCs of water per day.
Note: The first phase of (Line 1) the KLIP was inaugurated a year ago in 2019, June by the Chief Minister at Medigadda in former Karimnagar district. As part of the mega project reservoir pump houses, added under various packages from time to time.
Other Underground Pump houses
- Some of the big underground pumps constructed under this project are Gayathri (the largest pump house in the world), Ranganayakasagar(second largest pump house in the world) , Annapurna, Mallannasagar.
i.The Telangana government recently decided to further increase the pumping capacity of the Kaleeshwaram Project by 1 tmcft a day.
- New machines with a pumping capacity of 40MW are being established at the pump houses in the Line 1 component (consisting of the Lakshmi, Saraswathi and Parvathi pump houses ).
Governor– Tamilisai Soundararajan