Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the 107th edition of the Indian Science Congress (ISC) also known as ISC 2020 at the University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS) in Bengaluru, Karnataka. The theme of ISC for the year 2020 was “Science and Technology: Rural Development”.
Objective: The main objective of the summit was to bridge the gap between farmers and tech-developers. The key highlights of the event are as follows:107th ISC:
i.Awards given:The Vice President Shri Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu gave awards instituted by the Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) in the presence of the Chief Minister of Karnataka Shri Bookanakere Siddalingappa Yediyurappa.
ii.Participants: The science congress was a 5-day event held from January 3-7, 2020 in which Nobel Laureates, dignitaries and students from across the country and the world over participated.
iii.Editions held in Bengaluru: This is the 3rd time Bengaluru hosts ISC after 1987 and 2002. It is also the 4th time Karnataka hosts such event after organising ISC lastly in 2016 in Mysuru.
iv.Members present: Vice President of India Shri Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu and other officials were present during the event.
DRDO at 107th ISC:
i.The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) participated in the “Pride of India- Science Expo- 2020” at the 107th ISC.
ii.The DRDO pavilion was inaugurated by the Union Minister of Science and Technology(MoST) Dr Harsh Vardhan.
iii.Exhibits: 31 DRDO laboratories with more than 150 exhibits and models participated in the expo exhibiting the ‘Make in India’ spirit.
- Some of the exhibits by DRDO included Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LRSAM), Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile system (QRSAM), ASTRA Missile, Radars including Battle Field Surveillance Radar (BFSR), ASLESHA and BHARANI, MINI-UGV Autonomous Surveillance Robot, Sentry Autonomous Surveillance Robot, Nirbhay Missile, Akash Missile System, Prithvi missile, Nag missile etc.
iv.DRDO: It is the R&D (Research and Development) wing of the Ministry of Defence (MoD), having more than 52 laboratories and establishments. They are mainly engaged in developing weapon systems, platforms and equipment for the Armed Forces.
Indian Science, Technology and Engineering Facilities Map (I-STEM) website launched:
Prime Minister also launched the Indian Science Technology and Engineering facilities Map (I-STEM) Portal during ISC. The portal is designed to be the gateway for researchers to locate specific type of facility they need for their Research and development (R&D) work in India.
Yoga Science meet organised:
i.A yoga science meet was organised at ISC. Various delegates like the head of the Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana (SVYASA) Yoga deemed University Dr. HR Nagendra and others attended the meet.
Women Science congress held:
i.During the ISC, Women Science Congress was held. DRDO Aeronautical Systems Director General Dr.Tessy Thomas famously known as Missile Woman of India was the chief guest for the event.
- During the event India’s achievements in the field of science and technology like the Mangalyaan, Chandrayaan, anti-satellite mission etc were discussed.
Farmers Science congress conducted for the 1st time:
i.During ISC 2020, for the 1st time Farmer’s Science Congress was conducted. It was inaugurated by Dr. Trilochan Mohapatra, Secretary of the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE) & Director General(DG) of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR). Some of the highlights are as follows:
- PM Modi’s vision of doubling of farmers’ income by 2022 was discussed during the event.
- Farmers were encouraged to make use of organic farming. Development of 45 types of organic farming systems in niche areas was also announced.
- Around 120 innovative farmers from across the country participated in the 1st Farmers Science Congress and also showcase their products.
- Experts from the different agriculture sector discussed on three themes. They were farmers innovation on integrated agriculture and entrepreneurship for doubling farmers income; Climate change, bio-diversity, conservation, ecosystem services & farmers empowerment and Agrarian distress, rural bio-entrepreneurship.
- Apart from Farmers science congress, Children’s science congress, former vice chancellors’ science congress, science communicators Meet – 2020, mega science exhibition- pride of India- ISC Expo was also held.
ii.Members present: Union minister of state(Mos) for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Kailash Choudhury and Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister Laxman Sangappa Savadi and other officials were present in the event.
Chief minister- Bookanakere Siddalingappa Yediyurappa.
Governor- Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala.
State Formation- 1 November 1956.
Capital- Bengaluru (Executive Branch).
National parks(NP)- Nagarhole NP, Bandipur NP, Bannerghatta NP, Kudremukh NP