To support the Palestinian Authority’s health and education programmes and to offer services to their refugees in the middle east, EU has released 252 mn Euros($274 millions).
- The aid will help Palestine become prepared for a more accountable and democratic state in the future. It is the first part of the 2016 aid package.
Palestine is a partially recognized state in the middle east. EU has been committed to the provide aid though the mechanism PEGASE (Mécanisme Palestino-Européen de Gestion de l’Aide Socio-Economique) through which the EU helps the Palestinian Authority build the institutions of a future independent Palestinian state.
- Through the payment of pensions and civil servants’ salaries, it ensures that essential public services keep operating.
- PEGASE also provides social allowances to Palestinian households living in extreme poverty and a contribution to pay the Palestinian Authority’s bills due to East Jerusalem hospitals.
- Founders: France, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands
- Founded: November 1,1993
- Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
- Consists of 28 European nations
- Capital of Palestine: Ramallah
- Currency: Jordanian Dinar/Egyptian Pound
- President: Mahmoud Abbas
- Prime Minister: Rami Hamdallah