Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
Union Government canceled FCRA registration of NGO Greenpeace
Greenpeace India, a non-profit NGO‘s FCRA(Foreign Contribution Regulation Act) license and Its plea to release 25% of unutilised amount from its detained bank accounts, is get canceled by the Ministry of Home affairs(MHA).
- Earlier the Delhi High Court granted the permission to Greenpeace India to use 2 accounts for the purpose of receiving and using the domestic donations to meet its day-to-day functions.
- But the NGO has violated the norms by opening 5 accounts to utilize the foreign donations without seeking permission from concerned authorities.
- A charge is filed against Greenpeace by MHA in this regard.The court scheduled the further hearing to September 17th.
Major Port to be built in Colachel at a cost of Rs. 21,000 crore
- The Centre has planned a new major port at Colachel which lies at the southern-most tip of Tamil Nadu.
- It will serve as a southern gateway for transhipment in the Country.
- The Vizhinjam International Deepwater Multipurpose Seaport is to be developed by the Adani Group in Kerela.
- A Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) will be created for the Colachel project which will be completed in three phases in a period of three years.
- 1.7 million metric tonnes of goods would be handled at the port. The port will generate thousands of jobs in the region.
- Presently, mother vessels are being anchored at the Colombo port in Sri Lanka and from there, containers are ferried to different countries. Colachel has a natural harbour and this will make it possible for mother vessels to dock here, thus saving time.
- 500 acres of land is planned to be reclaimed from the sea by land-filling and also, wherever land will be acquired from land owners, adequate compensation will be given to them.
Andhra Assembly passes the Special Courts Bill
- Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly passed the Andhra Pradesh Special Courts Bill, that seeks to expeditiously conduct trial in cases of ill-gotten wealth. It aims to recover ill-gotten wealth from individuals involved in corruption or financial frauds and ensure speedy trials.
- The bill provides for confiscation of properties of public servants who have amassed wealth through corrupt practices.
- The opposition staged a walk out in protest that the ruling party had not followed the due procedure of issuing a seven-day prior notice before taking the bill for passage, so that legislators may get time to study the provisions.
Bill seeking to plug loopholes in the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988
The TDP member and earlier finance minister said that the provisions of PCA were not stringent enough to deter people from indulging in corruption. A large number of public servants have amassed huge wealth by corrupt means and their assets are disproportionate to their income.
Special MGNREGA cell set up in Punjab
- The special cell of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) cell has been set up in Punjab, to facilitate effective implementation of the scheme.
- A project outlay of Rs. 233 crore has been provided.
- The Centre has decided to fix the wage rate under the scheme on the basis of the Consumer Price Index and revise it every April 1st, keeping it constant for the financial year.
- All districts of the state are being covered under MGNREGA and the wage rate has been revised to Rs. 220. The wages will be transferred directly to the beneficiary’s accounts.
eSagu- spreading modern crop protection awareness among farmers
- The initiative is a joint research initiative of Media Lab Asia and IIIT, Hyderabad and is being implemented as a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative of Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL).
- ‘Sagu’ in Telugu means ‘Cultivation’ and ESagu means electronic cultivation. ESagu is a web-based personalised agro-advisory system with a view to replace the unscientific agricultural practised with modern scientific ones.
- It will disseminate expert agricultural knowledge to the farming community to improve crop productivity.
Akshay Kumar,Hrithik Roshan and AR Rahman join global campaign on UN goals
Representing India in ‘Global Goals Campaign’ the famous celebs of bollywood Akshay Kumar, Hrithik Roshan and AR Rahman joined together.
- The objective of the 7 days- ‘Global Goal Campaign’ is to create and raise awareness about sustainable development, nationally and internationally.
- This campaign will be launched by 193 world leaders at the UN summit on 25th September,2015.
- Apart from Indian celebs there are many other iconic personalities like the Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai, Hollywood A-listers such as Bill and Melinda Gates,Professor Stephen Hawking,Ashton Kutcher, Jennifer Lawrence, Oscar winning actress Meryl Streep and many others are also going to take part in the campaign.
- With respect to the campaign a film called ‘we the people’ is going to be aired. The film aims at featuring 17 UN goals and make them achievable worldwide.
Banking & Finance
- Central Bank of Sri Lanka received USD 1.1 billion from RBI
- SEBI notified Revised Listing Regulations, 2015
- RBI’s proposal to allow Non-Competitive bidding in T-bills for retail
Ratan Tata invests in Food Tech Startup Holachef
- Holachef is a food tech startup which was launched in 2014 by Saurabh Saxena and Anil Gelra for retail customers in Mumbai and now has a customer base in Mumbai and Pune.
- Tata has made a 14th investment in a startup in his personal capacity since his retirement in 2012 with an objective to reach budding entrepreneurs and have them draw from the Tata Trust’s expertise to give a strong push to new businesses.
- Tata’s personal worth is pegged at $1 billion and is an advisor in the venture capital fund, Kalaari Capital.
Haryana wins the Skoch Order-of-Merit National Award for e-governance and IT initiatives
- It won theSkoch Order-of-Merit award for implementing 6 e-Governance and IT initiatives.
- Haryana has notified a whopping 163 e-Governance services to ensure time-bound delivery at their door-step and hassle-free services.
The Skoch Order-of-Merit award
- It is awarded by Skoch Consultancy Services Private Limited, a management and strategy consultancy, founded in 1997.
- The awarded is bestowed upon the top performing government organisations and even private organisations working with the government, operating at local, state and national level in the area of Health, Education, Rural Development/Panchayati Raj, Urban Development, Finance, and Security.
- It recognises best practices and models of governance for efficient implementation of programmes and services delivery.
The prestigious Seacology Prize to be awarded to seaweed collector M Lakshmi
- Seacology is a US-based environment non-profit organisation.
- It has selected Ms. Lakshmi for her outstanding contribution in conversing the marine resources and cultural traditions of Chinnapalam, a coastal hamlet located on an island in the Gulf of Mannar.
- She will be the first Indian woman and community leader to win the award, which carries a $10,000 prize and a trophy with the winner’s name inscribed on it.
- The award has been conferred on her to recognise the efforts of not only Lakshmi, but also the entire women folk engaged in seaweed collection without harming the biosphere reserve in the Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park.
- Ms. Lakshmi heads the Gulf of Mannar seaweed collect women forum, the woman-wing of the Ramanathapuram district fish workers trade union.
- About 2,000 women are engaged in seaweed collection in Palk Bay and Gulf of Mannar and Lakshmi guided them in sustainable collection. The women would initially venture out in small boats called Vathais and collect seaweed on all the days. But with a view to conserve the islands in the Gulf of Mannar, the collection days were brought down to 12 days a month.
Vinod Dasari appointed as President of Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM)
- Mr.Vinod K.Dasari, The Managing Director of Ashok Leyland Ltd. is elected as the president of the apex industry body representing 46 leading vehicle and vehicular engine manufacturer – SIAM (Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers ), Former President of SIAM is Mr.Vikram Kirloskar.
- While General Motor India’s President and MD- Mr.Aravind Saxena has been elected as vice-president of SIAM.
- Likewise, Maruthi Suzuki India’s President & MD Mr.Kenichi Ayukawa has been given the new responsibility as a Treasurer of SIAM.
Science & Technology
Former Goa Chief Minister Wilfred De Souza dies
Wilfred De Souza,The former CM of goa passed away due to heart-attack at manipal hospital,Goa at an age off 88
- Dr.Wilfred De Souza was born on April 23rd,1927 in Kampala, Uganda. He started his career as a Surgeon. He holds an MBBS degree from Bombay University. He was a fellow of Royal College of Surgeons at England as well as at Edinburgh.
- He married to a British-origin Nurse Grace and has two daughters Joanne and Suzie.
- He served twice as a chief minister for Goa from National Congress Party. And at the third time of his tenure he represented Goa Rajiv Congress (as he left the National Congress, formed the Goa Rajiv Congress party).