Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Programme for the Conservation of Eastern Hoolock Gibbon Launched
- National Conference on Anti Human Trafficking
- Achary Panel Recommendation – 400% Hike in Basic Salary of Delhi MLAs
12 Sagarmala Projects backed by Rs 70K
The Sagarmala Project aimed to modernize Indian ports with development in coastal areas to boost the country’s economy. In March 2015 Govt approved to transform 12 ports and on the sidelines of this Sagarmala is financed with huge funding.
OUTLAY – Rs 70,000 crore
WHY DEVELOPMENT OF PORTS NEEDED?
- Waterways transport through rivers is much cheaper as it costs 30-40 p/km compared to Re1 in railways and Rs 1.5 through roads
- Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd in Odisha is expanding its output capacity to 260 million tonnes from the present 60 million tonnes and if the coal is transported through water it will save Rs 7,000 crore annually
- Ports Kandla and Paradip developed into Green smart cities is expecting Rs 4,500 profit from these ports
- The minister also highlighted a potential to transport 100 million metric tonne per annum (MMTPA) of thermal coal by coastal shipping till 2020
NATION SAGARMALA APEX COMMITEE (NSAC)
- Nitin Gadkari chaired the first meeting of the National Sagarmala Apex Committee (NSAC)
- NSAC panel comprises of the NITI Aayog vice chairman, union ministers from stakeholder ministries and chief ministers of 10 maritime states–Andhra Pradesh, Goa, Gujarat, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Odisha, Puducherry, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.
Cabinet approved National War Memorial at India gate
Union Government has approved the construction of a war memorial and war museum at India Gate, New Delhi that has been pending since 1960s.
OUTLAY – Rs 500 crore
- The structure will take 5 years to complete which will be built in 14 acre of land.
- The project will be monitored by a committee chairmanship of defence secretary and assisted by a project management team to ensure its completion within a scheduled timeframe.
- After the completion of project a management body will be formed for maintenance of the war memorial and museum.
Centre clears proposal for 3 new AIIMS
As a part of Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojna (PMSSY) Union government cleared a proposal for setting up of three new AIIMS.
OUTLAY OF PROJECT – Rs. 4,949 crore
WHERE AIIMs WILL BE SET UP?
- Nagpur in Maharashtra – Financed with Rs. 1,577 crore
- Manglagiri in Andhra Pradesh – Financed with Rs. 1,618 crore
- Kalyani in West Bengal – Financed with Rs. 1754 crore
- Each institution will comprise of hospital with a capacity of 960 beds.
- There will be teaching block, administrative block, AYUSH block, auditorium, nursing college, night shelter, hostel and residential facilities.
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Conference to be held in Jan 2016
An annual gathering of overseas Indians named Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Conference 2016 will going to be held at the Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi from January 8–10, 2016.
AIM OF PBD
To unify non-resident Indians (NRIs) and persons of Indian origin (PIOs) to grow stronger links between them and India.
2016 OBJECTIVE OF PBD
To develop a new model of engagement with Indian diaspora. Issues will be discussed by 14 Working Groups consisting of 7 -8 overseas experts from all over the world and 2 -3 Indian experts.
- During PBD 2015 PM Modi announced online Diaspora Quiz that will be organised for the benefit of Diaspora Youth and winners will be awarded in next PBD.
- Now quiz will be online from 12th November 2015 for NRIs and PIOs between 18-35 years and 20 finalists consists of 10 NRIs and 10 PIOs each will be brought to Delhi for the final round of the quiz.
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel visit to India – An overview
- Disputed Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Agreement inked by 12 Pacific Rim countries
Modi ranks 13th in global list of most influential people
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who has lately hogged limelight in India and abroad as a rockstar politician with a huge fan base, is ranked 13th among the world’s top 50 people in the fifth edition of the ‘Bloomberg Markets Most Influential‘ list.
- This is an annual ranking of the most popular politicians, economists, bankers, tech-executives, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and money managers.
- While US Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen tops the Bloomberg list, Chinese President Xi Jinping is on the second spot. Among other politicians ranked above Modi are US President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
- Apple CEO Tim Cook is ranked third, while BlackRock co-founder Larry Fink is a surprise entrant at number four, ahead of legendary investor Warren Buffet. The only other Indian on the list of 50 people is 41-year-old Ruchir Sharma (50th ), who heads emerging markets and global macros at Morgan Stanley Investment Management.
Banking & Finance
Bajaj Allianz Life bancassurance deal with Dhanlaxmi
Insurance major Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance has inked agreement with Thrissur (Kerala) headquartered Dhanlaxmi Bank in long-term bancassurance.
- Under this agreement Bank will sell life insurance products of Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance by acting as a Corporate Agent for 9 years and all the life insurance products will be made available to customers of Dhanlaxmi Bank.
- Since 2009 Dhanlaxmi Bank is partner of Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance and under this partnership they had done a business of Rs. 400 crore.
- CEO & MD of Dhanlaxmi Bank – G Sreeram
- Tagline of Dhanlaxmi Bank – Tan.Mann.Dhan
- CEO & MD of Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance – Anuj Agarwal
- Slogan of Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance – Jiyo Befikar
Flogged Saudi blogger wins Pinter free-speech prize
- A Saudi blogger who has been jailed and flogged for insulting Muslim clerics was awarded a major free-speech prize on 6 Oct.
- Raif Badawi shares the PEN Pinter Prize with British poet James Fenton.
- Badawi is serving a 10-year sentence after being convicted of insulting Islam and breaking Saudi Arabia’s technology laws with his liberal blog.
Appointments & Resigns
Rear Admiral S V Bhokare apponited as Eastern Fleet Commander
Flag Officer Submarines Rear Admiral SV Bhokare designated as the Eastern Fleet Commander. He will succeed Rear Admiral AB Singh who will now assume duties at HQ Strategic Forces Command.
Eastern Fleet consists of 30 warships including Destroyers, Stealth Frigates, Amphibious Ships, Anti-Submarine Warfare Corvette, Missile Corvettes, Offshore Patrol Vessels, Missile Boats and Tankers.
- Rear Admiral Bhokare is a submariner by profession and has commanded submarines Sindhughosh, Sindhudhwaj, Sindhushastra, INS Beas and INS Vajrabahu.
- He is having a Master’s degree in Defence and Strategic Studies from the Australian Defence College, Canberra.
- He has been awarded the Yudh Seva Medal and the Nao Sena Medal.
India’s ambassador to Syria – MM Bhanot
- Man Mohan Bhanot Senior Deputy Secretary in the finance division of External Affairs Ministry has been designated as the India’s next ambassador to the Syrian Arab Republic.
- He will succeed S.R. Meena, the current Charge d’ Affaires of the Indian embassy in Damascus, Syria
- Syria capital – Damascus (Nicknamed as City of Jasmine)
- Syria currency – Syrian pound
- Syria PM – Wael Nader al-Halqi
- Syria President – Bashar al-Assad
Science & Technology
China launches commercial remote-sensing satellites
- China launched four satellites on 7th Oct for commercial remote-sensing services, an important step in the development of remote-sensing space technology.
- The “Jilin-1” satellites, launched from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in China’s Gansu province, include one optical remote-sensing satellite, two satellites for video imaging and another for imaging technique testing
- All four satellites were developed and produced by Chang Guang Satellite Technology Co. Ltd.
Arjuna Award Winning Boxer Jai Bhagwan suspended for taking bribe
Jai Bhagwan, Olympian and Arjuna award-winning boxer and serving as an inspector with Haryana Police has been suspended from his job for allegedly taking a bribe of Rs. 1 lakh from a businessman Mukesh Goyal of Adampur Mandi in Hisar district.
- Constable Anil Kumar as also been suspended in connection with the case
- In 2008 Beijing Olympics bronze medallist Vijender Singh named in a drug case in Punjab. Now Bhagwan is the second Olympian boxer from Haryana to be in a controversy.
Books & Authors
BOOK – The Clintons’ War on Women
The Clintons’ War on Women author Roger Stone and Robert Morrow is set to release on 13th October 2015.
- This book exposes the deep violations of American Politician couple Bill and Hillary Clinton who abused women and others – sexually, physically, and psychologically for the sake of power and wealth.
- It also reveals dark secrets of their family including drug addiction which never reported by media.
- Hillary is running for president as an “advocate of women and girls” but this book can obstruct her push in White House.