Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
Adani Ports signed pact with L&T for Kattupalli Port
Non – Binding Memorandum of Understanding has been signed between Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone (APSEZ) and Larsen & Toubro (L&T) to supervise the operations of Kattupalli Port in Tamil Nadu.
According to MoU Adani will be responsible for EBIDTA (Earnings before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization)gains and losses arising from the port operation.
- Adani group $10 billion APSEZ operates ports in Mundra, Hazira, Tuna-Tekra (Kandla) and Dahej in Gujarat, Dhamra in Odisha and specialised coal handling facilities in Mormugao in Goa and Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh. It is setting up a container terminal at Ennore in Tamil Nadu.
India transcend China by becoming world’s largest producer in cotton output
India became the world’s largest producer of cotton by overtaking China in the season ended September 30, 2015 with a production of 6.51 million tonnes (as per Cotton Association of India) of fibre in the year 2014-15, while China was with a registered production of 6.48 million tonnes.
- According to the forecast of US Department of Agriculture, India will maintain its top position for the next cotton season also with an estimated production of 29 million bales which contributes 27 % of the global cotton crop.
Khadi Utsav launched in Ahmedabad by Gujarat Govt
To promote Khadi in the young generation Gujarat Government has launched a special Khadi Utsav in Ahmedabad on the 146thbirth anniversary of Gandhiji.
- Khadi Utsav is the introduction of a wide range of khadi apparels, both for men and women, in new styles.
- Narendra Modi kurtas and jackets along with Khadi Denim are the most attractive products among all Khadi garments.
State Government provided 25% discount on all khadi products manufactured in Gujarat while 15% discount for the products manufactured in other states.
SOS “CGI Dubai” launched for Indian workers in distress
Anurag Bhushan, Consulate General of India in Dubai has launched SOS mobile app named “CGI Dubai” on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi which is developed on the sidelines of PM Modi Digital India Initiative.
To distressed workers mainly blue-collar labourers working in Dubai and Northern Emirates.
- The app enables a worker to make a direct call to the 24X7 toll free number of Indian Workers’ Resource Centre (IWRC) which is in charge of helping Indian citizens in distress in the UAE.
- IWRC forwards workers issues to the missions.
- Worker can use messages service in this app by which his application will be registered and a unique ID number will be generated for tracking it.
- App acts like a guide book in case of emergency like a death case or any legal case in the UAE
- It also provides employment or business opportunities to persons who are moving to UAE.
Awareness camps will be provided by IWRC to promote the app among the workers.
Three Maharashtra women appointed as “Swachhata Doots”
On the first anniversary of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Maharashtra Government appointed three women as “Swachhata Doots” or “cleanliness ambassadors” from the state’s rural areas who have showed commitment towards sanitation needs including building of toilets.
- Women named Chaitali Rathod, Sangeeta Awahade and Suvarna Lokhande were appointed “Swachhata Doots” and appreciated by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
WORK DONE BY 3 AMBASSADORS
- Chaitali asked for a prefabricated toilet as a wedding gift from her parents over jewellery and other items.
- Sangeeta sold her mangalsutra and other jewellery for constructing a toilet at her home
- Suvarna took a loan of Rs 50,000 from a SHG (Self Help Group) to build a toilet in her house and then repaid the amount. She even laid the foundation of 7000 toilet blocks.
It is part of Maharashtra’s target of building 56 lakh toilets in next five years.
Inagural India – Indonesia Bilateral Maritime Exercise – Expanded version
In a move to expand strategic and defence ties the two nations are conducting an inagural maritime -exercise from 17-18 Oct 15 in the Andaman Sea along with the 26th edition of the CORPAT (Coordinated Patrolling) which is scheduled from 03 Oct to 21 Oct 15.
One warship and one Maritime Patrol Aircraft from both sides
- From India INS Saryu is participating which is an indigenously built NOPV based at the Andaman and Nicobar Command, along with a Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft
- With an aim of keeping this vital part of the Indian Ocean Region safe and secure for commercial shipping and international trade the two navies are conducting Coordinated Patrolling (CORPAT) along the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) twice a year since 2002.
Trident Juncture – Biggest Military Exercise launched by NATO
North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has launched largest exercise “Trident Juncture” since 2002 with troops from 30 states, including non-NATO in Italy, Spain and Portugal.
- 30 nations will participate in the drills which are taking place at sea, in the air and across the territory of three European states.
AIM OF EXERCISE
Purpose of the exercise is to train and test the capabilities of NATO Response Force (NRF) and to make extreme ready and technologically advanced multinational force made up of land, air, maritime.
DURATION OF EXERCISE
September 28 to November 6, 2015
PARTICIPANTS OF MILITARY EXERCISE
36,000 troops, more than 60 warships and 200 aircraft will participate in the drills which makes it the biggest after NATOs“Strong Resolve” military exercise in 2002 when around 40,000 troops took part.
- Headquarter of NATO Allied Joint Force Command centre – Dutch city of Brunssum
- Canada, Norway, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands will also be a part of this exercise.
Banking & Finance
Card-less mVisa launched by ICICI
Headquartered Mumbai ICICI Bank again marked its digital advancement by becoming the first institution worldwide to launch mVisa – a card-less and device-less solution friendly with mobile space.
- It is developed by Visa International in India
- It is interoperable which means that the merchant who is having mVisa network of one bank can able to accept payments from the other banks having that network.
STEPS TO FOLLOW
- mVisa application is consolidated in ICICIs Pockets app.
- It will allow payments to be made by scanning a static QR code and entering the amount.
- After this ATM pin is required which will followed by instant transfer of money to merchant account.
In mVisa the payment will be initiated by the customer who enters the details which reduces the chances of fraud.
Acquisitions & Mergers
Microsoft acquires Irish 3D physics provider Havok from Intel
Headquartered at Redmond, Washington, US Microsoft acquired Irish video game engine and 3D physics provider Havok(based in Dublin) from American chip-maker Intel for improving the gaming experience by using new courses of 3D technology
- Havok has made of record of working on 600 games
- Havok was founded in 1998 in Dublin, Ireland
- Its business model requires licensing of its physics technology to developers
- It was purchased by Intel in 2007
- Earlier Havok had worked with Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and many others
- It has made their products in movies like Harry Porter, The Matrix, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory etc.
Six writers to return award to Sahitya Parishat Award
Kannada Sahitya Parishat’s BMTC Aralu Sahitya award (Literary Awards) winners returned their award Parishat’s President Pundalika Halambi which showing their anguish and disappointment in delaying the arrest of the persons connected to the assassination of writer M.M. Kalburgi
Writer named Veeranna Madiwalar, T. Satish Javare Gowda, Sangamesh Menasinakai, Hanumanth Haligeri, Shridevi V Aloor and Chidanand Sali – were honoured with the awards on November 20, 2011 at a function where Kalaburgi was presented with the Nrupatunga Prashasti.
Sania-Hingis pair clinched Wuhan open title
Ace iconic partnership of Indian star Sania Mirza and Swiss Martina Hingis grasped their seventh title by bagging the Wuhan Open women’s doubles trophy by defeating the pair of Romanian team of Irina-Camelia Begu and Monica Niculescu 6-2, 6-3 in the title clash in Wuhan, China.
- They have consecutively won their last three tournaments and their last 13 matches.
- Earlier tournaments won by them are Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Wimbledon, the US Open, Guangzhou and Wuhan.
- Now they will participate in China Open in Beijing
Former Australian cricketer Lindsay Kline passed away
Born on 29 September 1934 former Australian Test player Lindsay Francis Kline has died at the age of 81. He was recalled for facing the last ball of his first Test match in 1960 between Australia and the West Indies.
- He was left-arm wrist spinner who played 13 Tests matches for Australia and took 34 wickets in his pocket at an average of 22.82 between 1957 and 1961
- He was the 207th player to wear the Baggy Green cap.
- Kline played total of 88 first-class matches while taking 276 wickets at an average of 27.39.