AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs October 14 Quiz 2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Where did APPICON 2017, the 63rd Annual National Conference of Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India, was held at ?
Answer 2. Puducherry
Explanation: APPICON 2017, the 63rd Annual National Conference of Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India, was held at Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), in Puducherry.
Theme of APPICON 2017 was ‘Physiology beyond Academics in the Era of Translational Research’. Various conferences were conducted related to physiology and pharmacology.
- Mitra Shakti 2017, a joint exercise for military co-operation and interoperability between India and which neighbour country?
Answer 4. Srilanka
Explanation Mitra Shakti 2017, a joint exercise between India and Sri Lanka for military co-operation and interoperability, is conducted at the Aundh Military Camp, in Pune.
The MitraShakthi training exercises started in India’s response to China’s growing influence in South Asia and the Indian Ocean region.Its aim is to exchange the best military practices of the two countries and build a strong military-to-military relation between the two armies and develop joint strategies mainly in the counter-insurgency and counter terrorism (CI and CT) environment.
- Which act was discarded byThe NITI Aayog as it was destabilizing the prices instead of keeping them stable?
1. GST Act
2. Commodity Exchange and Regulation Act
3.Essential Commodities Act
4. Stamp Act
5. Quartering Act
Answer 3. Essential Commodities Act
Explanation The NITI Aayog has also proposed discarding of the ‘Essential Commodities Act’ that is destabilising prices instead of keeping them stable. NITI Aayog said that, it is working with states to adopt first set of agri market reforms, like contract farming, online spot and futures trading, encouraging private investment.
- When was the “Conference of Governors” held for the first time at RashtrapatiBhavan?
Answer 4. 1949
Explanation Tradition of holding Conference of Governors dates back to 1949, when first such conference was held at RashtrapatiBhavan. At that time it was presided over by the Governor General of India, C. Rajagopalachari.
48th Conference of Governors was held at RashtrapatiBhavan, New Delhi from 12thand 13th October 13, 2017. Sessions on ‘Infrastructure for New India 2022’, ‘Public Services for New India 2022’ and ‘Higher Education in States and Skill Development’ were also held during this two-day conference.
- What is the new scheme introduced by Chennai Metro Rail for its customers?
1. Free bicycle ride scheme
2. Free tickets for Senior Citizens
3. Concession for Students
4. First travel free
5. Concession for Minorities
Answer 1. Free bicycle ride scheme
Explanation Chennai Metro Rail (CMRL) has introduced a free bicycle ride scheme for its customers.To implement this scheme, CMRL has tied up with a private agency to provide 100-hours of bicycle ride free of cost every month.This scheme has been introduced to promote eco-friendly travel in the city.CMRL management believes that this scheme will reduce dependence on private vehicles and will serve as an economical means for commuting.
- Which Indian State Cabinet took a decision to set up the scheduled caste advisory council?
4. Jammu & Kashmir
5. West Bengal
Answer 5. West Bengal
Explanation West Bengal State Cabinet took a decision to set up its scheduled caste advisory council. As per West Bengal State Government, it is the first Indian state to have such council.
The council will help state government in formulating policies as well as identify the loopholes in existing policy which is affecting the development of the schedule caste population in the state.
- WhichSection of IPC warrants immediate arrest of a husband and his relatives in a dowry-linked complaint of cruelty?
2. Section 489A
Answer 1. Section 498A
Explanation Section 498A of IPC warrants immediate arrest of a husband and his relatives in a dowry-linked complaint of cruelty. three-judge Supreme Court bench headed by Chief Justice DipakMisra disagreed with a recent judgment which diluted the rigour of Section 498A of Indian Penal Code (IPC) in dealing with dowry related complaints of cruelty.
- Name the two Indian states with 100 % VVPAT (Voter-verified paper audit trail) coverage.
1. Goa & Arunachal Pradesh
2. Himachel Pradesh &TamilNadu
3. Puducherry& Goa
4. Kerala & Goa
5. Himachal Pradesh & Goa
Answer 5. Himachal Pradesh & Goa
Explanation Himachal Pradesh will be the second state after Goa with 100 % VVPAT (Voter-verified paper audit trail) coverage. The paper trail machines will be deployed along with EVMs (Electronic Voting Machines) in all the 7,521 polling stations.For the first time ever, the Election Commission will set up 136 all-woman managed polling booths in Himachal Pradesh, with each constituency having two women.
- Where is the Headquarters of NASA located?
1. New York, USA
2. Amsterdam, Holland
4. Geneva, Switzerland
5. Los Angeles, USA
Answer 3. Washington, US
Explanation Headquarters – Washington D.C., USA
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) is an independent agency of the executive branch of the United States federal government responsible for the civilian space program, as well as aeronautics and aerospace research.
- Which state government’s Directorate of Treasuries and Inspection signed a MoU with SBI, for integration of SBI e-Pay with cyber treasury?
Explanation Odisha government’s Directorate of Treasuries and Inspection signed a MoU with SBI, for integration of SBI e-Pay with cyber treasury.The MoU was signed by Bhabani Prasad Nanda, Director, Treasuries & Inspection, Odisha and Goutam Roy, DGM, SBI. This MoU is an initiative by the Odisha government to facilitate revenue collection from citizens through digital banking platform.
- Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has raised Rs 660 crore through bondsfor the development of National Waterways (NWs) and this bond carries a coupon rate of _____ %.
Answer 1. 7.47
Explanation On October 13, 2017, Union Shipping Ministry stated that Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has raised Rs 660 crore through bonds. Funds raised through these bonds will be deployed as capital expenditure for development of National Waterways (NWs) under the National Waterway Act, 2016during 2017-18.e-bidding for these bonds was held on Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) portal on October 11, 2017.The bonds carry a coupon rate of 7.47%. Interest will be paid on semi-annual basis.
- Hallmarking of the precious metal articles has been made mandatory under which act?
1. The Gold control Act
2. National Gem & Jewelry Authority Act
3. Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) Act
4. Shops and Establishments Act
5. Clean Diamond Trade Act
Answer 3. Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) Act
Explanation A new Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) Act 2016 which was notified on March 22, 2016 has been brought into force with effect from October 12, 2017.
As per this act, any goods/article/product of any scheduled industry and any process/system/service can be brought under compulsory certification regime by the government if it considers it necessary in the public interest or for the protection of human, animal, plant health, environment, or in order to prevent unfair trade practices and in the interest of national security.Hallmarking of the precious metal articles has been made mandatory under this new act.
- As per the data released by Central Statistics Office (CSO), theGrowth in which sector has decelerated to 3.1 percent in August 2017?
1. Health sector
2. Manufacturing sector
3. Banking sector
4. Automobile sector
5. Food sector
Answer 2. Manufacturing sector
Explanation Growth in manufacturing sector has decelerated to 3.1 per cent in August 2017. Manufacturing sector constitutes 77.63 per cent of IIP (Index of Industrial Production).
- Which type of transport system the “Hyper loop One” company is trying to create?
1. Network-based transport system
2. Fare-based transport system
3. Signal-based transport system
4. Pod-based transport system
5. Hub-based transport system
Answer 4. Pod based transport system
Explanation Hyperloop One is a company trying to create a pod-based transport system. Its pods use electromagnetic propulsion and magnetic levitation to travel in near-vacuum tubes. In August 2017, it achieved a record speed of 309 kmph.The founder, Sir Richard Branson, is joining Hyperloop’s board as part of a deal, and Hyperloop is rebranding itself as Virgin Hyperloop One.
- Who has been nominated for the first Centenary National Award for Literature, for outstanding literary contributions?
2. Alfred Nobel
3. Rabindranath Tagore
4. Richard Henderson
5. Rainer Weiss
Answer 1. NamitaGokhale
Explanation Eminent writer NamitaGokhale has been nominated for the first Centenary National Award for Literature, for her outstanding literary contributions.
The award has been conferred by the AsamSahityaSabha, which is regarded as one of the most prestigious literary bodies in India.DhrubaJyoti Borah, President of the AsamSahityaSabha conferred the award to NamitaGokhale on October 14, 2017 at special function in Guwahati, Assam.
- How manynew secretaries were appointed by the Appointment Committee of Cabinet in various government departments?
Answer 5. 11
Explanation Appointment Committee of Cabinet carried out a major bureaucratic reshuffle wherein 11 new secretaries have been appointed to various government departments.
- Who is elected as the new chief of UNESCO?
1. Irina Bokova
3. Audrey Azoulay
4. Harvey Weinstein
5. Raphael Harvey
Answer 3. Audrey Azoulay
Explanation UNESCO’s executive board voted to make former French government minister, Audrey Azoulay, the U.N. cultural agency, UNESCO’s next chief.
UNESCO board’s selection of Audrey Azoulay as its chief, has been done a day after the United States announced its withdrawal from UNESCO because of its alleged anti-Israel bias.This selection would be confirmed by UNESCO’s general assembly’s next assembly in November 2017. Azoulay would succeed outgoing Director-General Irina Bokova of Bulgaria.
- Where is the World’s largest combustion research center inaugurated?
Explanation National Centre for Combustion Research and Development (NCCRD), world’s largest combustion research centre was inaugurated at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras on October 13, 2017.
The centre was inaugurated by NITI Aayog member V K Saraswat in the presence of Prof Ashutosh Sharma, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology.It has largest infrastructure facilities for any combustion research centre in an academic setting globally.
- In which country the Headquarters of ICC is located?
1. Saudi Arabia
4. New Zealand
Answer 5. Dubai
Explanation Headquarters – Dubai
Chairman – ShashankManohar
President – Zaheer Abbas
- ‘An Insignificant Man’ is a documentary movie related to whom?
1.Puducherry Chief Minister VeluNarayanasamy
2. Delhi Chief Minister ArvindKejriwal
3.Kerala Chief Minister PinarayiVijayan
4.Telangana Chief Minister K. ChandrashekarRao
5. Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu
Answer 2. Delhi Chief Minister ArvindKejriwal
Explanation A documentary on Delhi Chief Minister ArvindKejriwal, titled ‘An Insignificant Man’, is to be released on 17th November 2017 in theatres.
Vice Media is presenting the movie ‘An Insignificant Man’. It was produced by Memesys Lab. It was directed by KhushbooRanka and VinaShukla.An Insignificant Man, is a non-fiction political thriller that portrays the rise of ArvindKejriwal from a social activist to the Chief Minister of Delhi.
- When is World Standards Day is observed all over the world?
1. October 13
2. October 14
3. October 15
4. October 20
5. October 25
Answer 2. October 14
Explanation On 14th October 2017, World Standards Day was observed all over the world.
The World Standards Day is celebrated every year, to honour the contributions of all those who developed the technical agreements that are published as international standards. This is mainly celebrated by the members of organisations like IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission), ISO (International Organisation for Standardization) and ITU (International Telecommunication Union).