AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs December 29 Quiz 2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT , Railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- To tackle stubble burning, the Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change approved a regional project on ‘Climate Resilience Building among Farmers through Crop Residue Management’ under the National Adaptation Fund for Climate Change (NAFCC). The first phase of the project will cover which of the below given states?
1. Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh
2. Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan
3. Bihar, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Sikkim
4. Tripura, Manipur, Mizoram, Arunachal Pradesh
5. Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, OdishaAnswer – 2. Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan
Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change approved a regional project on ‘Climate Resilience Building among Farmers through Crop Residue Management’ under the National Adaptation Fund for Climate Change (NAFCC). This project aims to contain the problem of stubble/crop residue burning which has intensified during recent years in Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh. Stubble burning results in deterioration of air quality in surrounding region and thereby poses a serious health hazard. The project will be initiated with awareness generation among farmers. Following the awareness generation drive, capacity building activities will be undertaken to encourage farmers to adopt alternate practices. Besides, various technology-based interventions will be resorted to for managing crop residue. Approval has been granted for first phase of the project covering Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- To report any violation of programme and advertising codes by TV channels, the Government has set up a _____________________________ to monitor content telecast on private TV channels?
1. Electronic Content Monitoring Hub
2. Electronic Content Monitoring Centre
3. Electronic Media Monitoring Hub
4. Electronic Channel Monitoring Centre
5. Electronic Media Monitoring CentreAnswer – 5. Electronic Media Monitoring Centre
Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has set up an inter-ministerial committee to look into complaints of violation of programme and advertising codes by TV channels. The inter-ministerial committee has representatives from the ministries of defence, home affairs, external affairs, women and child development, law, health and family welfare, information & broadcasting, consumer affairs and a representative from Advertising Standards Authority of India. Government has set up an Electronic Media Monitoring Centre (EMMC) to monitor content telecast on private TV channels. Task of EMMC is to report any violation of programme and advertising codes. The above stated information was provided in Lok Sabha by Minister of state for information and broadcasting, Rajyavardhan Rathore.
- Which state became the first state to offer free power to farmers 24 hours a day?
4. Andhra Pradesh
5. KarnatakaAnswer – 2. Telangana
From January 1, 2018, farmers in Telangana will get 24-hour free power supply. This is a first of its kind initiative, undertaken by Telangana State Government which will benefit 23 lakh farmers in Telangana. Electricity supply is of utmost importance for farmers who use motorised pumps for irrigation. Supplying free 24-hour electricity to all farmers in the state will create an overall power demand of 11000 MW which will be fully met by March 2018. Power utilities in Telangana have spent Rs 12610 crore in setting up new power lines, transformers and sub-stations for this purpose.
- Which state got the maximum compensation to make up for revenue loss on account of Goods and Services Tax (GST) implementation?
5. SikkimAnswer – 4. Karnataka
Central Government has released Rs. 24500 crore compensation to states to make up for revenue loss on account of Goods and Services Tax (GST) implementation. This compensation is for the period between July-October 2017. Karnataka got maximum compensation (Rs 3271 crore) followed by Gujarat (Rs 2282 crore) and Punjab (Rs 2098 crore). The other states that required huge amount of compensation include Rajasthan (Rs 1911 crore), Bihar (Rs 1746 crore), Uttar Pradesh (Rs 1520 crore), West Bengal (Rs 1008 crore) and Odisha (Rs 1,020 crore). This compensation comes from cess (on top of the highest tax rate of 28 %) on luxury, demerit and sin goods.
- In which state, the ‘Ekatm Yatra’ was launched?
3. Madhya Pradesh
5. JharkhandAnswer – 3. Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan flagged off ‘Adi Shakara Sandesh Vahini’, from a place near Piravom, Kerala. This mobile museum, showcases various aspects of the life of Adi Shankaracharya, an early 8th century Indian philosopher and theologian who consolidated the doctrine of Advaita Vedanta. The mobile museum would cover various places including Kalady, Udupi, Dharmasthala and Sringeri. It will reach Omkareshwar in Madhya Pradesh on January 22, 2017 where a 108-feet high Ashtadhatu statue of the saint would be installed. It is a part of ‘Ekatm Yatra’ launched by the Madhya Pradesh government to collect metal pieces for installing a 108-feet tall statue of Adi Shankaracharya at Omkareshwar, Madhya Pradesh. ’Ekatm Yatra’, launched on December 19, 2017, would traverse through Indore, Dewas, Rajgarh, Guna, Ashok Nagar, Shivpuri, Sheopur, Morena, Bhind, Gwalior and Datia in Madhya Pradesh and would culminate at Omkareshwar on January 22, 2017.
- Which Indian city hosted the 78th session of the Indian History Congress?
5. PuneAnswer – 2. Kolkata
On 28th December 2017, the 78th session of the Indian History Congress started at the Jadavpur University campus, in Kolkata. The 78th session of Indian History Congress is held for three days. It consists of 6 sections – Ancient India, Medieval India, Modern India, Countries Other than India, Archaeology and Contemporary India. It also stages speeches of famous historians Irfan Habib and Romila Thapar. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee also addresses the congress. Main focus of the Indian History Congress is promotion and encouragement of scientific study of Indian History, holding Congresses and publishing of the proceedings, bulletins, memoirs, journals etc.
- Which Indian state celebrated Orange Festival of Music and Adventure?
5. Arunachal PradeshAnswer – 5. Arunachal Pradesh
Orange Festival of Music and Adventure was held in Dambuk village of Arunachal Pradesh. Dambuk produces some of the best oranges of India. This is the reason for naming this festival as orange festival. Director of the Orange festival was Abu Tayeng. Musical bands from India and other countries participated. Some of them are Rain in Sahara, Humsafar Moscow, Fame the Band, Tangerine Dream, etc.The Orange festival is supported by Arunachal Pradesh Tourism Department. Adventure sports like JK Tyre Orange 4X4 Fury were also held during the festival.
- ‘Modi Kaka Ka Gaon’, a Hindi feature film inspired by Prime Minsiter Narendra Modi was directed by ______________?
1. Shyam Benegal
2. Ashutosh Gowarikar
3. Vishal Bhardwaj
4. Srijit Mukherji
5. Tushar A. GoelAnswer – 5. Tushar A. Goel
‘Modi Kaka Ka Gaon’, a Hindi feature film inspired by Prime Minsiter Narendra Modi was released all over India. The film is directed by Tushar A. Goel. The character of Narendra Modi is played by Mumbai businessman Vikas Mahante. The music for the film was composed by Manojanand Choudhary. This film is said be inspired by Narendra Modi’s development plans for India. This film was granted censor certification by Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) in November 2017.
- Which country has launched the world’s largest human genome research project to document the genetic makeup of one lakh people?
5. RussiaAnswer – 3. China
China has launched the world’s largest human genome research project to document the genetic makeup of one lakh people. The objective of this project is to detect the genetic links between health and sickness and use that information to generate precision medicines for the future. The project envisages decoding the hereditary information contained in each of the 25000 known human genes. One person from different ethnic backgrounds and regions across China have been selected to be a part of this project. The project will be executed in four stages viz. collecting, sequencing gene samples, gathering the data and sharing the findings. Gene sequencing and analysis is expected to be completed within four years.
- As a part of the preparation for Mars Exploration Mission, Which country will build a Martian village (simulating the environmental conditions on Mars)?
5. ArgentinaAnswer – 4. China
As a part of its preparation for Mars Exploration Mission, China will build a Martian village (simulating the environmental conditions on Mars) in Qinghai Province. The upcoming Martian village will be constructed in the red rock area of the Qaidam basin in western Qinghai. Owing to the red rocky area, Qaidam basin is recognised as “the most Martian place on Earth.” The Martian Village will be spread across 702 hectares of land and will entail an investment of USD 130 million.
- Which is the first country to introduce photovoltaic road fitted with solar panels?
5. IsraelAnswer – 3. France
China has successfully tested its first photovoltaic highway constructed in Shandong province. China’s photovoltaic highway is based on home-grown technology using solar panels which have a thin sheet of clear concrete on top of them. The 1-kilometer stretch of solar-power highway has a surface area of 5875 square meters. The solar-power stretch constitutes three layers viz. insulator (at bottom), photovoltaic device in middle and protective transparent concrete layer on top. Electricity generated through photovoltaic highway will be transmitted to China’s national power grid. In 2016, France became the first country to introduce photovoltaic road fitted with solar panels.
- Name the International investment firm that has received an approval from Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to start an asset reconstruction company (ARC) in India and has thereby become the first foreign investor to fully own ARC in India?
1. KKR & Co
2. JPMorgan Chase
3. Goldman Sachs
4. Morgan Stanley
5. Deutscheb BankAnswer – 1. KKR & Co
International investment firm, KKR & Co has received an approval from Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to start an asset reconstruction company (ARC) in India and has thereby become the first foreign investor to fully own ARC in India. Asset Reconstruction Company is a financial entity that buys the non-performing assets (NPAs) or bad assets from banks and financial institutions at a mutually agreed value and tries to revive it by using specialised knowledge and expertise. ARCs help banks/financial institution to get rid of NPAs and focus on their core business rather than chasing defaulters. In a bid to tackle the mounting NPAs problem in Indian banking system, in May 2016, Indian Government allowed foreign institutions to have 100% ownership in asset reconstruction companies in India. KKR is known for its big ticket financing and private equity deals in India. It is planning to deploy a major portion from its Asia fund for buying troubled assets in India.
- Name the India’s first app-based wallet that enables bitcoin transactions using a mobile number?
1. Neo qtum
5. Pluto ExchangeAnswer – 5. Pluto Exchange
Pluto Exchange, a Dubai-based cryptocurrency dealer has announced the launch of India’s first mobile application for transacting in virtual currencies. Pluto Exchange’s app will be India’s first app-based wallet that enables bitcoin transactions using a mobile number. Users of Pluto Exchange’s app will be able to buy, sell, store and spend bitcoins via a mobile by number using a four-digit personal identification number (PIN). The app would also permit a range of transactions including payments, business-to-business commerce, remittances, asset management supply chain finance and trading. In the context of this news, it is important to note that crypto currencies including Bitcoin are decentralised digital currencies which are not backed by any Sovereign Government, Central Bank or monetary authority.
- Who was awarded the Globe Soccer’s Best Player award 2017, in Dubai?
1. Lionel Messi
2. Cristiano Ronaldo
4. Wayne Rooney
5. Peter CrouchAnswer – 2. Cristiano Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid was awarded the Globe Soccer’s Best Player award, in Dubai. Cristiano Ronaldo has won the Globe Soccer’s Best Player award for the second consecutive year and fourth time overall. Also, Real Madrid club was named the best club of the year. Also, Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane was given the best coach award. The event was organised by the Dubai Sports Council. Cristiano Ronaldo was not able to attend the event in person, he appeared through video call.
- Who was appointed the Director General (Investigation) in National Human Rights Commission (NHRC)?
1. Gurbachan Singh
2. Sathya Narayanan
3. Jagdish Chand
4. Cyriac Joseph
5. D MurugesanAnswer – 1. Gurbachan Singh
Senior IPS officer Gurbachan Singh was appointed the Director General (Investigation) in National Human Rights Commission (NHRC). Gurbachan Singh is a 1984 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Odisha cadre. He has been appointed as Director General (Investigation) in National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) till December 31, 2018 (till his superannuation). Gurbachan Singh is currently working as Special Director in Intelligence Bureau.
- Who was appointed the Additional Chief Secretary-cum-Principal Secretary to the Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister?
1. Jyotika Kalra
2. Ram Shankar Katheria
3. Nand Kumar Sai
4. Syed Hasan Rizvi
5. Manisha NandaAnswer – 5. Manisha Nanda
Senior IAS officer Manisha Nanda was appointed as Additional Chief Secretary-cum-Principal Secretary to the Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister. Manisha Nanda is a 1985 batch IAS Officer of the Himachal Pradesh cadre. She is currently the Additional Chief Secretary, Town and Country Planning, Housing and Urban Development. She has been appointed as the Additional Chief Secretary-cum-Principal Secretary to the Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur.
- Who has been elected the new Liberian President?
1. John Bassa
3. Forte Janjay
4. George Weah
5. Tomah MonjiAnswer – 4. George Weah
Former football player George Weah has been elected as Liberian President. George Weah won the Liberian presidential election. He won 61.5 % of the vote (based on 98.1% of ballots cast) and defeated Vice-president Joseph Boakai. George Weah replaces Ellen Johnson Sirleaf as Liberian president. George Weah is 51 years old. He is the only African football player to have won FIFA World Player of the Year award and Ballon D’Or award. He entered politics in 2002, after retiring as a football player.
- Who was been appointed the joint secretary in Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, EAC-PM?
1. Ranganath Misra
2. M N Venkatachaliah
3. J S Verma
4. Sumita Misra
5. S Rajendra BabuAnswer – 4. Sumita Misra
Senior bureaucrat Sumita Misra has been appointed as joint secretary in Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, EAC-PM. Sumita Misra is 1990 batch IAS officer of Haryana cadre. She has been appointed to this post for a period of five years. EAC-PM was set up in September 2017. Its task is to analyse all critical issues, economic or otherwise, that are referred to it by the Prime Minister and offer advise on the same. Dr. Bibek Debroy, Member of NITI Aayog is the Chairman of EAC-PM, while Ratan P. Watal, Principal Adviser of NITI Aayog is the Member Secretary. Dr. Surjit Bhalla, Dr. Rathin Roy and Dr. Ashima Goyal are part time members of this council.
- Which space Agency has scheduled to launch the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST) in the middle of 2020?
2. UK Space Agency
5. ISROAnswer – 1. NASA
NASA has scheduled to launch the Wide Field Infrared Survey Telescope (WFIRST) in the middle of 2020. WFIRST has a 300-megapixel Wide Field Instrument. This will capture the sky area 100 times larger than the previous Hubble telescope. WFIRST will study about dark energy. The Wide Field Instrument will also enable WFIRST to measure matter in hundreds of millions of distant galaxies through a phenomenon stated in Einstein’s relativity theory. WFIRST will picture how matter is structured throughout the universe. This will help scientists to test the governing physics of the assembly of universe.
- In which Indian city, the Association of Indian Football Coaches was launched at?
5. SrinagarAnswer – 2. Mumbai
The Association of Indian Football Coaches (AIFC) was launched at the Andheri Sports Complex, in Mumbai. The objective of Association of Indian Football Coaches (AIFC) is to create a platform for the development of football coaches and their welfare. The AIFC has been recognized by the All India Football Federation (AIFF). AIFC will support AIFF to conduct AFC coaching license courses, refresher courses and work for coach education. AIFC is supported by Sporting Lions Foundation, owned by Lions Club of Bombay Willingdon Crescent Charity trust.
- Who won World Rapid Championship (WRC) in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia?
1. Magnus Carlsen
2. Garry Kasparov
3. Viswanathan Anand
4. Bobby Fischer
5. Levon AronianAnswer – 3. Viswanathan Anand
Viswanathan Anand won World Rapid Championship (WRC) in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. India’s Viswanathan Anand defeated Russia’s Vladimir Fedoseev in the final of the World Rapid Championship (WRC) in a tie breaker. Vishwanathan Anand beat Vladimir Fedoseev 2-0 in a two-game tie-break and won the title. He last won this title in 2003.
- Who broke Guinness World Record in yoga marathon by performing the longest yoga marathon?
1. Kavitha Bharanidaran
2. Anatoly Karpov
3. Boris Spassky
4. Fabiano Preethy
5. Veselin TopsyAnswer – 1. Kavitha Bharanidaran
Kavitha Bharanidaran broke Guinness World Record in yoga marathon by performing the longest yoga marathon. Kavitha Bharanidaran hails from Chennai. She is mother of a 3 and a half year old kid. She started performing yoga on 23rdDecember 2017 at 7 am and broke the record by doing the longest yoga marathon at 02:02 am on 28th December 2017. She has broken the record that was created by Pradnya Patil of Nashik. She is still continuing the marathon and has planned to continue it till 30th December 2017 to create a new record.
- With which sport Hoshang Dadiba Amroliwala is associated with?
5. BadmintonAnswer – 2. Cricket
Hoshang Dadiba Amroliwala, former cricketer, passed away due to age related health issues. Hoshang Dadiba Amroliwala was 86 years old. He was a right-hand batsman and leg-spinner. He has played 44 first class matches. He had played in Ranji Trophy for Bombay Cricket Association. He had also represented the Parsi cyclists club in 1950s-60s.
- To which Profession does Daljit Singh belongs to?
5. TeacherAnswer – 2. Doctor
Noted ophthalmologist Dr Daljit Singh passed away following brief illness, at a private hospital, in Amritsar, Punjab. Dr Daljit Singh is named a pioneer of lens implant surgery. He was born on October 11, 1934, in Amritsar. He served as a general practitioner in rural areas. He had worked at Government Medical College, Patiala, for five years. He had received Padma Shri award for his service to medical science in 1987.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Mrugavani National Park is in which state?Telangana
- What is the currency of China?Renminbi; Capital – Beijing
- Who is the chairman of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC)?Justice H. L. Dattu
- Dhaam – traditional food festival is celebrated in which state?Himachal Pradesh
- Where is the headquarters of FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) located?Zurich, Switzerland