AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Which organization has notified, that FAME-II plan stands to reduce 64% energy needs and 37% carbon needs by 2030?
1) Confederation of Indian Industry(CII)
2) Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry(FICCI)
4) Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Confederation of Indian Industry(CII)
The Confederation of Indian Industry(CII) has notified certain observations regarding the second phase of the Faster Adoption and Manufacture of (Hybrid and) Electric Vehicles in India (FAME India). It has observed that India can save 64% of anticipated road-based mobility-related energy demand and 37% of carbon emissions by 2030.The reduction in energy demands would lead in the reduction of 156 million tonnes of oil equivalent in diesel and petrol consumption and net savings of approximately $60 billion in 2030 at current oil rates. This will boost India’s vision of reducing oil imports by 10% by 2022.The tentative aim is to have 30% electric vehicles by 2030 and the electric vehicle penetration in India is currently at 1%. Therefore, CII added that FAME alone is not enough to reach the 2030 target.
- Where was the India, Brazil and South Africa (IBSA) Sherpas meeting held recently?
1) Kolkata, West Bengal
2) Bengaluru, Karanataka
3) Mumbai, Maharashtra
4) Cochin, Kerala
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Cochin, Kerala
India, Brazil and South Africa (IBSA) Sherpas meeting was held in Cochin, Kerala from May 3 to May 5, 2019. Before IBSA Sherpas meeting, the 9th IBSA trilateral Ministerial Meeting was also concluded at the same venue. Indian delegation was led by T.S. Tirumurti, Secretary (Economic Relations) in Ministry of External Affairs and Amb. Norberto Moretti, Sherpa of Brazil and Prof. Anil Sooklal, Sherpa of South Africa led their respective delegation at the meeting. The Sherpas of all three countries conveyed their happiness that the first Gandhi Mandela Memorial Freedom Lecture was delivered by Cyril Ramaphosa, President of South Africa on 25th January, 2019 in New Delhi. The Sherpas welcomed 6th India-Brazil-South Africa Maritime (IBSAMAR) exercise conducted off the Coast of South Africa in September, 2018.
- Where was the G7 Environment Ministers Meeting held to discuss about climate crisis?
1) Rome, Italy
2) Metz, France
3) Ottawa, Canada
4) Paris, France
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Metz, France
The G7’s (Group of Seven) Environment Ministers from Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United States gathered for a 2-day meeting in Metz, France to discuss on steps required to handle deforestation, plastic pollution, depletion of coral reefs and ways to build pacts between the countries in order to achieve the target. IMF (International Monetary Fund) notified that the G7 nations have the 7 largest advanced economies globally, thus representing 58% of the net global wealth which amounts to 317 $ trillion. The G7 countries also represent more than 46% of the global GDP (Gross Domestic Product) based on nominal values, and more than 32% of the global GDP based on purchasing power parity.
- Which bank has slipped by 3 notches to the 10th spot as a most valued bank?
1) State Bank of India
2) ICICI Bank
3) Yes Bank
4) HDFC Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Yes Bank
For the 1st time, private lender YES Bank Ltd, in terms of market valuation, has slipped by 3 levels to come down to the 10th spot.Previously, YES Bank was the 7th most-valued bank. The position of the bank has come down due to its shares collapsing over 30% in the last 4 sessions after YES bank had reported a net loss of Rs. 1500 crore in its March quarter earnings.The most valued Indian bank with a market cap of Rs. 6.34 trillion is HDFC Bank Ltd. This is followed by (SBI) State Bank of India and Kotak Mahindra Bank with market cap of Rs 2.76 trillion and Rs 2.68 trillion, respectively.Shares of YES Bank were down 5.3% at Rs.166.30 on the 6th of May, 2019 and its market capitalization was Rs. 38,515.71 crore.ICRA (Investment Information and Credit Rating Agency) downgraded Yes Bank’s Tier 2, lower Tier 2, infrastructure notes to AA- from AA, and cut the upper Tier 2, Tier 1 bonds to A+ from AA-, thus showing an increase in its lower-rated advances.
- How much amount was raised by SBI Card from banks and financial institutions to grow above industry average?
1) 500 Crore
2) 700 Crore
3) 250 Crore
4) 600 Crore
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 700 Crore
SBI Card raised Rs. 700 crore from various financial institutions including its parent SBI (State Bank of India) in the 2nd half of FY19 (Financial Year) to grow above the industry average.SBI Cards and Payment Services Pvt. Ltd (SBI Card) raised Rs. 100 crore from ICICI Securities Primary Dealership Ltd, Rs. 250 crore from State Bank of India and Rs. 50 crore each from Canara Bank and Axis Bank by issuing NCDs (Non Convertible Debentures) at 9.15% coupon.SBI Card also raised additional Rs. 250 crore from Axis Bank through a coupon of 9.55%.The Rs. 700 crore fundraise is part of SBI Card’s plan to raise Rs. 1,500 crore in a few tranches.
- Name the product from Indonesia, which has been imposed Anti Dumping Duty by Government of India recently.
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Saccharin
Based on the recommendation of the Designated Authority in the Commerce Ministry in March 2019, the revenue department under the Ministry of Finance has imposed anti-dumping duty of 1,633.17 $ per tonne on saccharin imports from Indonesia. This duty, unless withdrawn earlier, will be valid for a period of 5 years.Import of saccharin into India has increased from 421 tonnes in 2014-15 to 543 tonne in 2017-18.The petition seeking anti-dumping probe on saccharin imports from Indonesia was filed by Swati Petro Products Pvt Ltd.
- Name the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War hero, who was honoured with a plaque on the Wall of Honour at the Ammunition Hill.
1) Jack Farj Rafael (JFR) Jacob
2) K M Shafiullah
3) Chittoronjon Datta
4) Abu Taher
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Jack Farj Rafael (JFR) Jacob
A Jewish, Lieutenant General (retired) Jack Farj Rafael (JFR) Jacob honoured with a plaque on the Wall of Honour at the Ammunition Hill. He fought World War II and India Pakistan war of 1965 and also negotiated the historic surrender of Pakistani troops in Dhaka after the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation war. After retirement, he became the Governor of two states- Goa and Punjab. He died in 2016 at the age of 92.Till now, the Wall of Honour at Ammunition Hill has honoured more than 340 people which comprised of high ranking officers, women, front line fighters and humble members of supporting units.
- Teenager Bandana, has set a Guinness World Records on “Longest Dancing Marathon by an Individual” surpassing the Indian dancer Kalamandalam Hemalatha. She hails from which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Nepal
Nepali teenager, Bandana danced continuously for 126 hours to set a Guinness World Records on “Longest Dancing Marathon by an Individual”. Bandana surpassed the record set by Kalamandalam Hemalatha, an Indian, who danced for 123 hours and 15 minutes in 2011.She danced continuously for Nepali music.
- Who was conferred with V K Krishna Menon Award 2019 in UK for his contribution as a pioneer of decolonised journalism?
1) Benni Joseph Mavelil
3) Mahendra Chaudhry
4) G D Robert Govender
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) G D Robert Govender
Indian –origin journalist G D ‘Robert’ Govender conferred with V K Krishna Menon Award 2019 in UK for his contribution as a pioneer of decolonised journalism. The award is given to mark the 123rd birth anniversary of V K Krishna Menon, Indian diplomat and politician. Govender is the first person who has been awarded the V K Krishna Menon posthumously. He had died in the UK in 2016.Govender had written many books in the field of journalism but his one of the outstanding work was “The Martyrdom of Patrice Lumumba” which had exposed the role of western intelligence agencies in the murder of the Congolese independence leader.
- Who won the presidential election in North Macedonia?
1) Stevo Pendarovski
2) Gjorge Ivanov
3) Nikola Gruevski
4) Zoran Zaev
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Stevo Pendarovski
Backed by North Macedonia’s ruling party, Stevo Pendarovski, the 55-year-old former political-science professor won the presidential runoff vote amid promises to push the Balkan state towards NATO (The North Atlantic Treaty Organization) and European Union membership.Pendarovski had 51.7% of votes whereas Gordana Siljanovska-Davkova, his challenger, had 44.7% votes.Siljanovska-Davkova is North Macedonia’s first female candidate and a university professor. The main conservative opposition VMRO DPMNE (Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization-Democratic Party for Macedonian National Unity) party (which backed Siljanovska-Davkova) having seen many irregularities in the election procedure, accused the government of “electoral engineering”.
- Name the country, which has elected Laurentino Cortizo as its new President.
1) Costa Rica
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Panama
The Panama Electoral Tribunal announced Laurentino “Nito” Cortizo (with 95% of votes counted) as the winner of Panama’s presidential election. Cortizo was the candidate for the left-wing Democratic Revolutionary Party.Cortizo (with 33% of the votes) closest rival was Romulo Roux (with 31% votes). Romulo was from the former President Ricardo Martinelli’s right wing Democratic Change Party.This was the 6th presidential election in Panama, since a US invasion removed strongman Manuel Noriega in 1989.
- Which of the following Indian Navy’s frontline missile destroyer has been decommissioned after 36 years of service?
1) INS Tarangini
2) INS Kirpan
3) INS Nipat
4) INS Ranjit
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) INS Ranjit
After 36 years of service, Indian Navy’s frontline missile destroyer, INS Ranjit has been decommissioned. INS Ranjit was commissioned on 15th September 1983 with Captain Vishnu Bhagwat as the chair. INS Ranjit was the 3rd of the 5 Kashin-class destroyers built by the former USSR (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics).INS Ranjit was deployed during IPKF (Indian Peace Keeping Force) operations and Operation Talwar during Kargil conflict.
- Where was the Indian Navy’s missile destroyer, INS Ranjit decommissioned recently?
1) Mumbai, Maharashtra
2) Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
3) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
4) Balasore, Odisha
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
After 36 years of service, Indian Navy’s frontline missile destroyer, INS Ranjit has been decommissioned at the naval dockyard in Visakhapatnam. INS Ranjit’s motto was ‘Sada Rane Jayate‘ or ‘Ever Victorious in Battle’.The ship was constructed as ‘Yard 2203‘ in the 61 Communards shipyard in the town of Nikolev, Ukraine, where the ship was given its Russian name, “Lovkly” which means “Agile”.The solemn decommissioning ceremony was attended by workforce who have served INS Ranjit onboard, officers and sailors from the commissioning crew.
- Name the Indian Navy’s 4th Scorpene-class submarine, that was launched in Mazagon Dockyard, Mumbai.
1) INS Vela
2) INS Khanderi
3) INS Karanj
4) INS Vagir
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) INS Vela
INS Vela, Indian Navy’s 4th Scorpene-class submarine was launched at Mazagon Dockyard in Mumbai. This is the fourth submarine in the series of six submarines under Project 75 built by Mazagon Dock Ltd, Mumbai. The Scorpene-class submarine has been termed as the Kalavari Class. Project 75 is a $3.75 billion contract inked between French Company DCNS (now Naval Group) and the Mazagon Dock Ltd in 2005 for construction and transfer of technology for 6 Scorpene-class submarines.Before Vela, Mazagon Dock Ltd has launched Kalvari, Khanderi, Karanj submarines.Upcoming submarines, INS Vagir and INS Vagsheer are in the stages of manufacturing.
- Which country’s Air Force Research Laboratory has tested a laser system called ‘Self-Protect High Energy Laser Demonstrator (SHiELD)” recently?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) US
The US Air Force Research Laboratory tested a laser system called ‘Self-Protect High Energy Laser Demonstrator (SHiELD) at the US Army’s White Sands Missile range in New Mexico which successfully shot down multiple air-launched missiles while in flight. The system is designed for the purpose of protecting the aircrafts from incoming surface-to-air and air-to-air launched missiles.The ‘Self-Protect High Energy Laser Demonstrator (SHiELD) has three components: The laser system A control system A pod which gave power to all components .The project began in 2016 and the US Air Force issued a contract to Lockheed Martin in 2017, for designing the system with the aim of testing the system on aircraft by 2021.
- Name the last captive white tiger, that has died at the Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP) in Borivali, Mumbai.
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Bajirao
The last captive white tiger at the Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP) in Borivali, Mumbai named Bajirao died due to old age related problems at the age of 18. He was born at the SGNP in 2001 to tigress Renuka and tiger Sidharth. He suffered from chronic ankylosis on left shoulder and chronic senile generalised arthritis for the last four years.The tiger’s autopsy was conducted by the pathology department of the Bombay Veterinary College(BVC), Mumbai.
- Where was the Asian Individual Squash Championship 2019 held?
1) Jakarta, Indonesia
2) New Delhi, India
3) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4) Beijing, China
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Asian Individual Squash Championship held at National Squash Centre in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from May 1 to 5, 2019. The event was organised by the Asian Squash Federation. This is the first time India won both men’s and women’s titles. Previously, Asian Individual Squash Championship was held in Chennai in 2017.
- Name the Indian Men’s Squash player, who won the Men’s Asian Individual Squash Championship 2019 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
1) Saurav Ghosal
2) Harinder Pal Sandhu
3) Kush Kumar
4) Mahesh Mangaonkar
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Saurav Ghosal
A 32-year old, Saurav Ghosal the top seed defeated fourth seed Leo Au Chun Ming of Hong Kong by 11-9, 11-2, 11-8 won Men’s Individual title. A 32-year old, Joshna Chinappa, the second seed defeated top seed Annie Au of Hong Kong by 11-5, 8-11, 11-6, 11-6 won Women’s Individual title in Asian Individual Squash Championship 2019.
- International No Diet Day is observed annually on ___________?
1) 5th May
2) 6th May
3) 4th May
4) 3rd May
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) 6th May
On 6th May 2019, International No Diet Day (INDD) was observed to promote a healthy lifestyle and raise awareness of the dangers and futility of dieting. The day also aims to raise awareness about the various dieting disorders which exist such as anorexia and bulimia. The INDD symbol is a blue ribbon.The INDD was first created in 1992 by Mary Evans Young to help people appreciate their own bodies.British feminist Mary was an anorexia patient(an eating disorder). She is the director of the British group “Diet Breakers” among the weight issues.
- What was the theme of the International Day of the Midwife?
1) Theme – “Women and Newborns: The Heart of Midwifery”
2) Theme – “Midwives: Making a difference in the world”
3) Theme – “Midwives leading the way with quality care”
4) Theme – “Midwives: Defenders of Women’s Rights“
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Theme – “Midwives: Defenders of Women’s Rights“
International Midwives Day 2019 is celebrated on May 5th every year. The theme for this year’s celebration was “Midwives: Defenders of Women’s Rights“. First International Day of the Midwife (IDM) was celebrated on 5th of May in the year 1991 using the theme “Towards safe birth for all by the year 2000”. It is celebrated as a day to honor the midwives for their big contribution towards the health of the people across the nations. The main event was hosted by WHO Chief Nursing Officer and Taskforce on Nursing and Midwifery. The event was inaugurated by the WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Gir Forest National Park is located in which state?Gujarat
- Where was the headquarter of World Health Organization(WHO) located?Geneva, Switzerland
- Who is the President of Confederation of Indian Industry(CII)?Vikram Kirloskar
- What is the Capital and Currency of Malaysia?Capital: Kuala Lumpur & Currency: Malaysian Ringgit
- Who is the Prime Minister of Nepal?KP Sharma Oli