AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs 30 December 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Who chairs the Standing Committee on Economic Statistics (SCES) constituted by Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation(MOSPI) ?
1) Pronab Sen
2) Malay Ghosh
3) C. R. Rao
4) Ranajit Chakraborty
5) None of theseAnswer-1) Pronab Sen
On December 28, 2019 the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation(MOSPI) has set up a standing committee on economic statistics (SCES) in order to develop methodologies in conducting surveys on industry, services sector and employment in place of multiple panels on these issues. The committee which consists of 28 members will be headed by India’s first chief statistician Pronab Sen. The first meeting of the SCES is scheduled on January 6, 2020.
- _________ member, Group of Ministers (GoM) was constituted to expedite implementation of Rs 69,000 cr revival plan of Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) ?
5) None of theseAnswer-3) 7
On December 28, 2019, In order to track the implementation of the Rs 69,000 crore revival plan for state-owned telecom corporations Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL), a seven-member Group of Ministers (GoM) has been constituted. The revival includes crucial elements like allocation of 4G spectrum and asset monetization worth Rs 37,500 crore.Members of the Committees are Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, IT and Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad, Home Minister Amit Shah, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal and Oil Minister Dharmendra Pradhan.
- Which State/UT has celebrated Losar festival recently ?
1) New Delhi
3) Jammu and Kashmir
4) Uttar Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer-2) Ladakh
On December 28, 2019 the people of Union Territory(UT) of the Ladakh region celebrated Losar festival, the Ladakhi new year. The Ladakh Buddhist Association (LBA) and Leh Hill Council, Leh organised the celebrations in which Ladakh Lieutenant Governor Radha Krishna Mathur participated. The year 2020 will mark the 1st Losar festival celebrated in the Ladakh Region as a UT. Losar is Tibetan word for new year.
- Name the countries, which were included in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) Division by Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) of India recently .
1) Mozambique and Angola
2) Seychelles and Mozambique
3) Mauritius and Seychelles
4) Madagascar and Comoros
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Madagascar and Comoros
On December 26, 2019 the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA)has included Madagascar and Comoros in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) Division. The IOR division looks after India’s maritime neighbours such as Sri Lanka, Maldives, Mauritius and the Seychelles. Previously these two nations were looked after by East and South Africa Division of the MEA. Madagascar and Comoros are also the members of the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) and International Solar Alliance(ISA). Comoros is a member of Arab League and the Organization of Islamic Countries (OIC) and is situated on the northern tip of the strategic Mozambique Channel in the Western Indian Ocean.
- Which country’s resolution on initiating drafting of new treaty to combat cyber-crime was approved by United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) ?
3) United States
5) None of theseAnswer-1) Russia
On December 29, 2019 the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has given its approval for a new Russian resolution which will draft a new international treaty to combat cyber-crime. The Russian draft resolution was approved by the 193-member world body of UNGA by a vote of 79-60 with 33 abstentions (declining to vote). The committee will meet in August 2020 to agree on an outline of its activities while the substantive work on the new convention will begin in 2021.
- What is the operating budget allocated by United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) for the year 2020 ?
1) $5.07 billion
2) $4.07 billion
3) $3.07 billion
4) $2.07 billion
5) None of theseAnswer-3) $3.07 billion
The UNGA adopted $3.07 billion operating budget for 2020. 2020 operating budget is slightly more when compared with the $2.9 billion budget for 2019.
- United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has allocated fund for the 1st time for which of the following process in its 2020 budget ?
1) Global Fund to Fight AIDS
2) Investigation of war crimes in Syria and Myanmar
3) For Enhancing security of all of its member states
4) Uniting for Peace
5) None of theseAnswer-2) Investigation of war crimes in Syria and Myanmar
The UNGA adopted $3.07 billion operating budget for 2020 and also for the very 1st time included funding for the investigation of war crimes in Syria and Myanmar. 2020 operating budget is slightly more when compared with the $2.9 billion budget for 2019.
- Which country has officially announced to drop its nickname ‘Holland’ recently ?
4) The Netherlands
5) None of theseAnswer-4) The Netherlands
As a part of €200,000 tourism rebranding, the Netherlands has officially announced to drop the nickname ‘Holland’ from January 2020. Even the Netherlands’ Board of Tourism and Conventions is also scrapping its symbol featuring a tulip, the national flower, and the word “Holland” and replacing it with a new logo that has an orange tulip and the initials “NL.” The govt of Netherlands has instructed the companies, embassies, ministries and universities to refer the country as its official title ‘the Netherlands’.
- Name the online auction platform, launched by Union Finance Minister(FM) Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman to increase transparency in auctioning of assets .
5) None of theseAnswer-1) eBkray
On December 28, 2019 the Union Finance Minister(FM) Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman launched an online auction platform named “eBkray” in New Delhi inorder to increase transparency in auctioning of assets attached by banks. e-Bkray platform is linked with the Indian Banks Auctions Mortgaged Properties Information (IBAPI) portal.
- Which of the following rate will not be applicable on transactions/ payments done via RuPay and UPI (Unified Payments Interface) platforms from January 2020 ?
1) Statutory Liquidity Rate (SLR)
2) Service Rate (SR)
3) Bank Rate (BR)
4) Merchant Discount Rate (MDR)
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Merchant Discount Rate (MDR)
In order to promote digital payments the FM announced that no MDR (merchant discount rate) charges will be applicable on transactions/ payments done via RuPay and UPI (Unified Payments Interface) platforms beginning January 1, 2020. Accordingly, all companies with a turnover of Rs 50 crore or more will be mandated by Department of Revenue (DoR) to provide the facility of payment through RuPay Debit card and UPI QR code to their customers.
- As per the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI)’s, 20th issue of the Financial Stability Report, India’s financial system is forecasted as __________ .
5) None of theseAnswer-3) Stable
On December 27, 2019, According to the 20th edition of the Financial Stability Report (FSR) 2019 released by Reserve Bank of India(RBI), India’s financial system remains stable despite the recession (a period of temporary economic decline). After the capital market regulator SEBI (Securities and Exchange Board of India) imposed a fine of Rs 25 lakh each on the major Credit rating agencies (CRA) -CARE and ICRA, the RBI has also taken a dig at these agencies by strongly criticizing them for allowing low-rated companies to do “rating shopping“(where rating agencies giving good ratings to companies with poor ratings within 3 months).
- Which bank has signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with social enterprise Selco Solar Light Pvt Ltd, for solar lighting and livelihood solutions ?
1) Andhra Pragathi Grameena Bank (APGB)
2) Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB)
3) Pragathi Krishna Gramin Bank (PKGB)
4) Kerala Gramin Bank (KGB)
5) None of theseAnswer-2) Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB)
On December 30, 2019 the Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB) which is a regional rural bank (RRB) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with social enterprise Selco Solar Light Pvt Ltd, for solar lighting and livelihood solutions.Under this MoU, finance livelihood solutions which are backed by solar power will be provided by the bank. This is done to improve the quality of life of micro and small entrepreneurs, economically weaker sections(EWS), sustainable agriculture and for women’s empowerment.
- Name the organization that has released its 11th annual report titled ‘World Economic League Table 2020′(WELT 2020) .
1) Institute of Economical Research (IER)
2) National Research Institute (NRI)
3) National Economics and Business Research (NEBR)
4) Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR)
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR)
On December 26, 2019 United Kingdom(UK)-based Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) released its 11th annual report titled ‘World Economic League Table 2020′(WELT 2020).
- Which country is expected to overtake Germany as the fourth-largest economy in the world by 2026 as per the Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR)’s 11th annual report titled ‘World Economic League Table 2020′(WELT 2020)?
2) United States
5) None of theseAnswer-1) India
On December 26, 2019 United Kingdom(UK)-based Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) released its 11th annual report titled ‘World Economic League Table 2020′(WELT 2020). According to the report, India is expected to overtake Germany as the fourth-largest economy in the world by 2026. It also estimated that India will overtake Japan as the third-largest economy by 2034.
- Who chairs the Kargil Review Committee, that recommends to create Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) post recently ?
1) K. Subrahmanyam
2) S.N. Verma
4) S P Talwar
5) None of theseAnswer-1) K. Subrahmanyam
On December 30, 2019 outgoing Indian Army chief General Bipin Rawat has been appointed as India’s 1st Chief of Defence Staff(CDS) till 2022. The CDS is a 4-star single-point military adviser to the government’s defence ministry as suggested by the Kargil Review Committee in 1999 headed by K. Subrahmanyam.
- Who was appointed as India’s 1st Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) on December 30, 2019 ?
1) Ranbir Singh
2) Manoj Mukund Naravane
3) Bipin Rawat
4) Sam Manekshaw
5) None of theseAnswer-3) Bipin Rawat
On December 30, 2019 outgoing Indian Army Chief General Bipin Rawat has been appointed as India’s 1st Chief of Defence Staff(CDS). The CDS is a 4-star single-point military adviser to the government’s defence ministry as suggested by the Kargil Review Committee in 1999 headed by K. Subrahmanyam.
- What is the maximum age limit of Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), that was changed from 62 years after amending the Army Rules, 1954 ?
1) 68 years
2) 65 years
3) 60 years
4) 70 years
5) None of theseAnswer-2) 65 years
On December 30, 2019 outgoing Indian Army chief General Bipin Rawat has been appointed as India’s 1st Chief of Defence Staff(CDS). The CDS is a 4-star single-point military adviser to the government’s defence ministry as suggested by the Kargil Review Committee in 1999 headed by K. Subrahmanyam. The CDS will serve upto a maximum age of 65 years and will head the Department of Military Affairs (DMA), which will be created within the Ministry of Defence(MoD) and function as its Secretary. The serving period has been increased from 62-65 years by making changes in the Army Rules, 1954.
- Who sworn in as the 11th Chief Minister of Jharkhand on 29th December 2019 ?
1) Madhu Koda
2) Shibu Soren
3) Arjun Munda
4) Hemant Soren
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Hemant Soren
On 29th December 2019, Hemant Soren sworn in as the 11th Chief Minister of Jharkhand at the oath taking ceremony took place at Morabadi Ground in Ranchi for the second term. He is succeeding Mr. Raghubar Das who served for the period of 28th December 2014 – 29th December 2019.He is the president of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM), a political party in Jharkhand.
- Abdelaziz Djerad was appointed as the Prime Minister of which of the following country on December 28, 2019 ?
5) None of theseAnswer-1) Algeria
On December 28, 2019 Algeria’s President Abdelmadjid Tebboune has announced Abdelaziz Djerad (65 years) as the Prime Minister (PM) of the country. He is a university professor and former diplomat, served under former President Abdelaziz Bouteflika, who was ousted in April 2019. Djerad succeeds Noureddine Bedoui as the new PM.
- Who sworn in as the Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra ?
1) Chhagan Bhujbal
2) Balasaheb Thorat
3) Ajit Anantrao Pawar
4) Aaditya Thackeray
5) None of theseAnswer-3) Ajit Anantrao Pawar
On 30th December 2019, Ajit Anantrao Pawar was sworn in as Maharashtra’s deputy chief minister in Mumbai, for the second time in two months. Earlier he had sworn-in as deputy CM on November 23 along with BJP’s Devendra Fadnavis but had resigned in less than 80 hours. This time as part of the Shiv Sena-NCP-Congress coalition government in the state.
- Name the Indian musician and composer, who has been selected for 2019 Harivarasanam award .
1) S. P. Balasubrahmanyam
3) A. R. Rahman
4) K. J. Yesudas
5) None of theseAnswer-2) Ilaiyaraja
Noted musician and composer Ilaiyaraja (born as Gnanathesikan) has been selected for 2019 Harivarasanam award. The award has been instituted by the Travancore Devaswom Board (TDB) of the govt. since 2012 and comprises of a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh, a citation and a plaque. It is given to persons who have contributed to secularism and universal brotherhood through music. Ilayaraja will be conferred with the award on January 9 2020 at a function at Sabarimala sannidhanam (main temple) in Kerala.
- Who were honoured with the Akashdeep Sanman awards for the year 2019, instituted by media house Amar Ujala recently ?
1) Dharamvir Bharati & Suryakant Tripathi
2) Gynanranjan & Jaishankar Prasad
3) Bhalchandra Vanaji Nemade & Dharamvir Bharati
4) Bhalchandra Vanaji Nemade & Gynanranjan
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Bhalchandra Vanaji Nemade & Gynanranjan
On December 28 2019, Noted Marathi writer Bhalchandra Vanaji Nemade, and Hindi writer Gynanranjan were conferred with Akashdeep Sanman awards, the highest literary award for their lifetime contribution, by noted lyricist-filmmaker Gulzar (Sampooran Singh Kalra) during an event in YB Chavan Centre, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Name the women astronaut, who surpassed Peggy Whitson record & created a new record by becoming the single longest space mission held by a woman .
1) Christina Hammock Koch
2) Sally Ride
3) Jessica Meir
4) Svetlana Savitskaya
5) None of theseAnswer-1) Christina Hammock Koch
On December 30,2019, Christina Hammock Koch (40), an American engineer and the United States (US) Space agency-NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) astronaut has created history by becoming the longest-lived woman in space. She overtook the record of NASA’s astronaut Peggy Whitson for 288 days in the International Space Station (ISS). Koch, who arrived at the space station March 14,2019, will return from ISS on February 6, 2020 after spending 328 days / nearly 11 months in space. The record for the longest (340 days) stay in the ISS was held by Scott Kelly, who was in space during 2015-16.
- Who received the 50th Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2018 from President Ram Nath Kovind in Delhi, for the outstanding contribution in the film industry ?
1) Sanjay Dutt
2) Lata Mangeshkar
3) Amitabh Bachchan
5) None of theseAnswer-3) Amitabh Bachchan
On December 29th 2019, Amitabh Bachchan received 50th Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2018 from President Ram Nath Kovind in Delhi, for his outstanding contribution to the film industry.He failed to receive the award at the 66th National Awards ceremony held on 23rd December due to serious ill.He was honoured by The Government with the Padma Shri in 1984, Padma Bhushan in 2001 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2015 for his contributions to the arts.
- Name the rocket launched to study changes in the earth’s upper atmosphere during the eclipse by Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) from Thumba in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala .
1) Roshini (RH) 200 sounding rocket
2) Rohini (RH) 200 sounding rocket
3) Roshini (RH) 300 sounding rocket
4) Rohini (RH) 300 sounding rocket
5) None of theseAnswer-2) Rohini (RH) 200 sounding rocket
On December 27, 2019, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC),a major space research centre of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), has successfully launched Rohini (RH) 200 sounding rocket at 9.30 a.m from Thumba in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala under the mission to study changes in the earth’s upper atmosphere during the eclipse. VSSC has also launched a 2nd RH 200 flight at exactly the same time on the very next day.The kerala district administration had warned that during the launch, near-shore waters spread over 9 kilometres off the Thiruvananthapuram coast from Valiyathura – Pallithura as a potential danger zone.
- Seema, who is banned by National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) for 4 years for doping is associated with which sport ?
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Weightlifting
On December 28, 2019, Indian Weightlifter Seema, who won a silver medal in the Commonwealth Games 2017, has been banned for 4-years by National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA), the national organisation responsible for monitoring the doping control program in sports, for a doping violation.
- Who won the Fédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE) Women’s World Rapid Championship for the year 2019 that held in Moscow, Russia & became the 2nd Indian to win this championship in the current format ?
1) Koneru Humpy
2) Tania Sachdev
3) Subbaraman Vijayalakshmi
4) Harika Dronavalli
5) None of theseAnswer-1) Koneru Humpy
Indian Grandmaster Koneru Humpy (32 years) from Andhra Pradesh, became FIDE Women’s World Rapid Champion for the year 2019 by defeating China’s Lei Tingjie in Armageddon (chess penalty shoot-out) in the finals held at Luzhniki football stadium in Moscow, Russia which was held from December 26-28, 2019. Tingjie finished with a silver, while Turkey’s Ekaterina Atalik won the bronze medal.The men’s World Rapid Championship 2019 title was won by Norway’s Magnus Carlsen. Iran’s Firouza Alireza won the silver medal while America’s Hikaru Nakamura won bronze.It is also to be noted that after india’s grandmaster Vishwanathan Anand, who won this title in the open section in 2017, Humpy is only the second Indian to win gold in the current format.
- Name the deceased former Director-General of Doordarshan, who was associated with the news coverage of Asian games in 1982 .
1) Santosh Kumar
2) Sanjay Kumar
3) Shiv Sharma
4) Rajesh Kumar Gupta
5) None of theseAnswer-3) Shiv Sharma
On December 28th 2019, Former Director-General of Doordarshan Shiv Sharma passed away in Gurugram in Haryana at the age of 85.He was Born in Gurugram in Haryana and served as Director-General of Doordarshan. He was associated with the news coverage of Asian games in 1982 in Delhi, India.He had also supervised reportage of various national and international events.He also served in All India Radio.
- Indian Hindu guru, Vishwesha Tirtha Swami passed away recently, he belonged to which state ?
1) Andhra Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer-2) Karnataka
On December 29, 2019, The head of the Pejawar Mutt located in Udupi (Karnataka), Vishwesha Tirtha Swami passed away in Udupi due to multiple organ failure. He was 88.Born on 27 April 1931 in Ramakunja village of Karnataka, Vishwesha Swami was ordained into Sanyasa at the young age of 7 in 1938.As a 32nd Mahant of Pejawar Math, he had created history by becoming the only seer among the seers of the Ashta Mutts (eight mutts) of Udupi, which propagate the Dwaita philosophy.He also constructed Akhila Bharat Madhwa Maha Mandal [ABMM] center to help many of the poor students.
- Who compiled the book titled, “The Renaissance Man-The Many Facets of Arun Jaitley” released by Vice President Mr. Venkaiah Naidu ?
1) Aravind Adiga and Vikram Seth
2) Vikram Seth and Deepa Venkat
3) Salman Rushdie and Muppavarapu Harshavardhan
4) Deepa Venkat and Muppavarapu Harshavardhan
5) None of theseAnswer-4) Deepa Venkat and Muppavarapu Harshavardhan
On 28th December 2019, Vice President Mr. Venkaiah Naidu has unveiled a book entitled “The Renaissance Man-The Many Facets of Arun Jaitley” with the Lok Sabha speaker Om Birla on the 67th birth anniversary of the former finance minister Arun Jaitley at a ceremony held in New Delhi.This book which describes about Arun Jaitley was compiled by Deepa Venkat and Muppavarapu Harshavardhan who are the daughter and son of Vice-President Venkaiah Naidu. Arun Jaitley’s various actions as union finance minister, such as Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, were also discussed during the ceremony.
STATIC GK based on Current Affairs
- Name the world’s longest serving President ? Answer-Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo was the world’s longest serving president.He was in news recently because International Monetary Fund (IMF) has mandated him to declare his assets before the nation receives more financial support from it.
- What is the Capital and Currency of Algeria ? Answer-Capital- Algiers & Currency- Algerian dinar.
- Who is the chairman of Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB) ? Answer-Puttaganti Gopi Krishna.
- Who is the President of Comoros ? Answer-Azali Assoumani
- When was United Nations General Assembly(UNGA) was formed ? Answer-1945
[su_button url=”https://affairscloud.com/current-affairs-2019/december/” target=”self” style=”default” background=”#2D89EF” color=”#FFFFFF” size=”5″ wide=”no” center=”no” radius=”auto” icon=”” icon_color=”#FFFFFF” text_shadow=”none” desc=”” download=”” onclick=”” rel=”” title=”” id=”” class=””]Click Here to Try December Current Affairs 2019 Quiz[/su_button]