AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Central government has issued “drought advisory” to six states, which of the following state is one among them ?
iv. New Delhi
1) Option ii
2) Option i
3) Option iii
4) Option iv
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Option i
Recently, centre has issued a “drought advisory” to six states named Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Tamil Nadu due to water storage in dams dropped to a “critical level”. Centre has asked these 6 six states to use water judiciously. Central Water Commission (CWC) always issues drought advisory whenever the water level in reservoirs is 20 percent less than the average of live water storage figures of the past 10 years.According to figures released by CWC, the total water storage available was 35.99 billion cubic metres, which is 22 percent of the total storage capacity of these reservoirs.
- Which is the first Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) in India, that was permitted by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to start treasury function of the Tripura government and open a currency chest?
1) Tripura Gramin Bank
2) Tripura Grameena Bank
3) Tripura Grameena Vikas Bank
4) Tripura Godavari Grameena Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Tripura Gramin Bank
Tripura Gramin Bank is the first RRB in India which have been granted a permission by Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to start treasury function of the Tripura government and open a currency chest.Tripura Gramin Bank is among India’s top three Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) in terms of profit, business, and growth. Currently, India has 45 Regional Rural Bank out of which Tripura Gramin Bank ranked 3rd in the country. Tripura Gramin Bank has posted a profit for 7 successive years to Rs 125.45 crore in fiscal 2018-19. The Bank also registered the business of Rs. 9,000 crores, with net Non-Performing Asset (NPA) of zero percent and gross NPA of 8.94 percent. In Tripura Gramin Bank, the central government has a 50% stake, the Union Bank of India has 35% stake and rest 15% is held by the Tripura government.Tripura Gramin Bank is the only RRB in the north-eastern region out of eight, which has been making profit to 7 successive years.
- Where did Facebook Global Holdings registered a new cryptocurrency firm named ‘Libra Networks LLC’ ?
1) Vienna, Austria
2) Washington DC, USA
3) Geneva, Switzerland
4) Paris, France
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Geneva, Switzerland
On May 2, 2019, Facebook Global Holdings registered a new cryptocurrency firm named ‘Libra Networks LLC’ in Geneva, Switzerland. It will provide financial and technology services by developing related hardware and software components. Facebook has been very secretive about its new cryptocurrency project. Facebook had registered the trademark “Libra” with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.Facebook has hired 2 cryptocurrency compliance experts who formerly worked at the major crypto exchange Coinbase to assist in their work.Facebook is looking to raise $1 billion to build this new project.
- Which refurbished imported product is allowed in India after receiving certification from Bureau of Indian Standards(BIS)?
4) Mobile Phones
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Mobile Phones
India has allowed the import of refurbished mobile phones or second mobile phones only if they are certified by the Bureau of Indian Standards(BIS).Earlier, the Government of India didn’t give its assent to refurbished mobile imports with the fear of dumping and negative effect to Make In India initiative.Mobile operators like Apple had sought the permission with the Government to give nod to the import of second iphones.
- National Standards Body of India, Bureau of Indian Standards(BIS) was in news recently, it works under which ministry ?
1) Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation
2) Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
3) Ministry of Law and Justice
4) Ministry of Commerce and Industry
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is the national Standards Body of India working under the aegis of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Government of India. It is established by the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986 which came into effect on 23 December 1986.
- Name the stand up comedian, who was named as most viewed stand-up comedian in India and abroad in the World Book of Records London.
1) Kapil Sharma
2) Biswa Kalyan Rath
3) Johnny Lever
4) Raju Srivastav
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Kapil Sharma
The King of Comedy, Kapil Sharma, has been named as most viewed stand-up comedian in India and abroad by World Book of Records London. He had started his career as a stand-up comedian from different comedy shows and got fame from “Comedy Nights with Kapil”.He had made his Bollywood debut in movie Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon and his second movie was Firangi.
- First girls expedition team of National Cadet Corps ever since 1970, has scaled which mountain?
1) Mt. Lama Wangden
2) Mt. Jopuno
3) Mt Tenchenkhang
4) Mt. Brumkhangse
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Mt Tenchenkhang
On May 17, 2019, National Cadet Corps girls mountaineering expedition team of 20 from Sikkim was flagged off to Mt Tenchenkhang, situated in Western Sikkim. This is the first girls expedition team ever since 1970. This expedition was flagged off by Additional Director General Major General Sanjay Gupta in New Delhi.The expedition team is led by Lt Col Madhab Boro. It constitutes 3 officers (including Medical Officer), 17 Permanent Instructional staff and 20 NCC Girl Cadets from All India NCC directorates.The team expects to scale the 6010-meter high Mt Tenchenkhang by the end of June 2019.
- Who won the 2019 Australian federal elections recently?
1) Bob Katter
2) Richard Di Natale
3) Bill Shorten
4) Scott Morrison
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Scott Morrison
Australian PM Scott Morrison’s won federal elections over the opposition Bill Shorten. The polling was held for 151 seats in the House of Representatives.
- Australian PM Scott Morrison won the 2019 Australian federal elections, he belongs to which political party?
1) Katter’s Australian
2) Liberal/National coalition
3) Centre Alliance
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Liberal/National coalition
Australian PM Scott Morrison’s Liberal-National Coalition won federal elections over the opposition Labor Party led by Bill Shorten. The polling was held for 151 seats in the House of Representatives.
- How many mega missions were set to be launched by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in 10 years?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Seven
Recently, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has announced to conduct seven Mega Missions for upcoming 10 years and also prepared a roadmap for the next 30 years.
- XPoSaT was in news recently, what does Po stands for?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Polarimeter
XPoSaT is also known as X-ray Polarimeter Satellite. The aim of this mission is to study polarisation. It will be launched in 2020 and the life of the mission will be of 5 years till 2025. The payload for XPoSaT was developed by Bengaluru-based Raman Research Institute. The spacecraft which will carry Polarimeter Instrument in X-rays (POLIX) payload study the degree and angle of polarisation of bright X-ray source in the energy range between 5 to 30 keV (Kilo electron volt).
- Which of the following along with XPoSaT has been categorized by ISRO as Defined Missions?
1) Lunar Polar Exploration and Exoworlds
2) Venus Mission
4) Aditya L-1
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Aditya L-1
ISRO has categorized its six Mega Missions (excluding Chandrayaan-2) in two broad categories- Defined Missions: The mission includes XPoSaT and Aditya L-1. Undefined Missions: The missions which are still in the planning stage. These missions are Mangalyaan-2, Venus Mission, Lunar Polar Exploration and Exoworlds.
- Name the computer programme developed by Australian National University (ANU) which can help to develop precision medicine.
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Flye
Flye’ a new computer program developed by Australian National University (ANU) can help develop precision medicine. It will be helpful to find out a person’s genetic makeup. The research is published in Nature Biotechnology.Flye is a step-by-step procedure for computers to assemble genomes. It will enable the process to be much faster and accurate than the current best practice methods.With the use of long DNA sequences, Flye will improve the reliability of genome assemblies and lead to a range of biomedical applications. A long DNA sequence ranges between 5,000 and 20,000 DNA letters, whereas short sequences are typically 200 letters.
- Which of the following is the newly launched badminton formats by Badminton World Federation (BWF) recently.
1) Option i & ii
2) Option i & iii
3) Option i & iv
4) Option ii & iii
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Option i & ii
Recently, Badminton World Federation (BWF) launched two new formats of Badminton named as AirBadminton & Triples. BWF launched AirBadminton at Guangzhou with new dimensions of the court and an innovative shuttlecock called Airshuttle. The AirBadminton will be an outdoor game as compared to traditional badminton which is indoor games.In new Triples format, the match will be played between a team which consists of three players each with at least one female player in both the team.
- _________ edition of Italian Open also known as “Rome Masters” or “the Internazionali BNL d’Italia” held at Foro Italico in Rome, Italy recently?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) 76th
The 76th edition of Italian Open which is also known as “Rome Masters” or “the Internazionali BNL d’Italia” held at Foro Italico in Rome, Italy from May 13 to 19, 2019. It was a professional tennis tournament which played on outdoor clay courts. The Italian Open was classified as an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event on the ATP World Tour 2019 and a Premier 5 event on the WTA Tour 2019.
- Who won Men’s singles title in the 76th edition of Italian Open held at Foro Italico in Rome, Italy?
1) Robert Farah
2) Rafael Nadal
3) Novak Djokovic
4) Juan Sebastian Cabal
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Rafael Nadal
A Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal won the record 9th title in 76th edition of Italian Open which is also known as “Rome Masters” or “the Internazionali BNL d’Italia” held at Foro Italico in Rome, Italy from May 13 to 19, 2019.
- Karolina Pliskova won Women’s Singles in 76th edition of Italian Open, she belongs to which country?
3) New Zealand
4) Czech Republic
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Czech Republic
Karolina pliskova wins italian open for biggest clay title of career.
S.No. Event Winner Runner-up 1. Men’s Singles Rafael Nadal (Spain) Novak Djokovic (Serbia) 2. Men’s Doubles Juan Sebastian Cabal (Columbia)
Robert Farah (Columbia)
Raven Klaasen (South Africa)
Michael Venus (New Zealand)
3. Women’s Singles Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) Johanna Konta (UK) 4. Women’s Doubles Victoria Azarenka (Belarus)
Ashleigh Barty (Australia)
Anna-Lena Gronefeld (Germany)
Demi Schuurs (Netherlands)
- Who deciphered the world’s most mysterious 600-year old manuscript named ‘Voynich Manuscript’ ?
1) Dr. Gerard Cheshire
2) David Adjaye
3) Sonia Boyce
4) Roger Zogolovitch
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Dr. Gerard Cheshire
The world’s most mysterious 600-year old manuscript named ‘Voynich Manuscript’ was finally deciphered by Bristol academician Dr. Gerard Cheshire and it took him just 2 weeks. The Voynich Manuscript contains information about astrological sex tips, parenting and psychology, abortion advice and herbal remedies. According to Dr. Gerard Cheshire’ paper published in Romance Studies journal, the manuscript was written in a dead language – proto-Romance.The book written in Voynich Manuscript was compiled by Dominican nuns as a source of reference for Maria of Castile, Queen of Aragon.The manuscript was written around mid-15th century and contains Catholic and Roman pagan religious beliefs. The book was discovered in 1912 by an antiquarian named Wilfrid Voynich.
- Sammy Shore has passed away recently, he belonged to which field?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Comedian
On May 18, 2019, Legendary stand-up comedian Sammy Shore, the Co-Founder of Comedy Store, passed away aged 92 at home from natural causes in Las Vegas, USA. He is the father of actor and comedian Pauly Shore. Both spent the past 20 years together as a father-son comedy team. He hails from in Las Vegas, USA. He began his career in a partnership with Shecky Greene in Catskills. He co-founded the world-famous Comedy Store in Los Angeles with screenwriter and actor Rudy De Luca in 1972.He recorded several albums titled “Brother Sam, Come Heal With Me” and “70 Sucks, but 80 is Worse”. He has authored books like “The Man Who Made Elvis Laugh” and “The Warm-Up”. Before his death, he was finishing up a book titled “Last Comic Sitting (Confessions of a Pissed-Off Comic)”.
- Name the former Fédération Internationale de Football Association(FIFA) panel referee, who passed away recently?
1) Sandeep Prakash
2) Shivappa Shetty
3) Dhanraj Venkatesh
4) Peter Biaksangzuala
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Shivappa Shetty
On May 19, 2019, Shivappa Shetty, former Fédération Internationale de Football Association(FIFA) Panel Referee passed away aged 86 due to multi-organ failure. All India Football Federation (AIFF) expressed the condolences on his death. He had served as Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Instructor, AIFF referees instructor, AIFF match commissioner, AIFF referee board member and as the President of the Bombay Referees Association.He was the main contributory in the formation of the Central Bank of India Football team and served as the sports General Secretary of the organization.
- What was the theme of the World Metrology Day 2019?
1) Theme – “Constant evolution of the International System of Units”
2) Theme – “Measurements for transport”
3) Theme – “Measurements in a Dynamic World”
4) Theme – “The International System of Units – Fundamentally better”
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Theme – “The International System of Units – Fundamentally better”
World Metrology Day was observed on May 20, 2019 with a theme “The International System of Units – Fundamentally better”. This theme was chosen because last year on 16th November 2018, the General Conference on Weights and Measures agreed to revise the International System of Units (SI). The World Metrology Day was celebrated every year because of the signature of the Metre Convention on May 20, 1875. ii. The World Metrology Day project was jointly recognized by International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) and International Organization of Legal Metrology (OIML).
- Whose birthday was commemorated as the World Bee Day?
1) Anton Janša
2) L. L. Langstroth
3) Johann Dzierzon
4) Karl Kehrle
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Anton Janša
World Bee Day was declared by the United Nations General Assembly and it was celebrated for the first time on May 20, 2018, in Slovenia.This day marks the birthday of Anton Janša (1734) who pioneered the modern beekeeping techniques in his native Slovenia in the 18th century.Slovenia had proposed to celebrate May 20 as World Bee Day. In December 2017, The United Nations and the UN Member States approved Slovenia’s proposal and since 2018 this day is celebrated.
- What was the theme of the World Bee Day 2019?
1) Theme – “Preserve Honey”
2) Theme – “Protect Bees”
3) Theme – “Save the Bees”
4) Theme – “Save Bees and utilize honey”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Save the Bees”
World Bee Day is celebrated on May 20 annually. It is celebrated to raise the awareness of the importance of pollinators, the threats they face and their contribution to sustainable development. The theme of this year is “Save the Bees”.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Kesarbagh Wildlife Sanctuary is located in which state?Rajasthan
- How many Regional Rural Bank’s are there in India?45
- Who is the chairman of Tripura Gramin Bank?Mahendra Mohan Goswami
- Where is the headquarter of Badminton World Federation (BWF) located?Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Who is the president of All India Football Federation (AIFF)?Praful Patel