AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs May 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz question from our daily current affairs 2019 updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs May 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs April 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Name the India’s fastest train which has completed 1 Lakh kilometers without missing a single trip.
1) Rajdhani Express
2) Shatabdi Express
3) Gatimaan Express
4) Vande Bharat Express
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Vande Bharat Express
India’s fastest train ‘Vande Bharat Express’ completed 1 Lakh kilometers without missing a single trip. It was flagged off by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi under ‘Make In India’ Initiative, on February 15, 2019, from New Delhi to Varanasi. This 16 coach train began its commercial run from February 17, 2019.The indigenously-built high-speed train was manufactured by the Integral Coach Factory in Chennai.This high-speed train is expected to replace Shatabdi Express trains soon.The train has facilities like high-speed onboard WiFi, GPS-based passenger information system, touch-free bio-vacuum toilets, LED lighting, mobile charging points, and a climate control system which automatically adjusts to the temperature.
- Which has become the first state in India to list Masala Bond in the overseas market?
4) Madhya Pradesh
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kerala
Recently, Kerala became the first state to tap into masala bond market by listing the Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB)’s masala bond worth of USD 312 million (Rs 2,150 crore) in London Stock Exchange (LSE)’s International Securities Market (ISM). The masala bond has a tenor of 5-year and a 9.723% coupon. This was the brainchild of Kerala’s state finance minister Thomas Issac. The objective of this initiative was to tap masala bond market and to rebuild the infrastructure in Kerala from the proceeds of the masala bond.
- Name the flagship program launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, which provides crop insurance to farmers.
1) Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
2) Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
3) Pradhan Mantri Gramin Awaas Yojana
4) Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
The flagship program of Prime Minister Modi, Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) which provides crop insurance to farmers has failed. Recently, a senior official from Agriculture Ministry disclosed that out of Rs 1,400 crore designated fund for the North-Eastern state annually under PMFBY, only around 0.57% or Rs 8 crore was spent in 2018-19.Four North-eastern states are not covered under PMFBY and the states are Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram.Other large states like Bihar and West Bengal had earlier withdrawn from crop insurance scheme and launched their own state-level scheme and states like Punjab had never joined the scheme.
- Name the High Peace Council Secretary of Afghanistan, who visited India recently.
1) Adil Abdul-Mahdi
2) Umer Daudzai
3) Ashraf Ghani
4) Barham Salih
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Umer Daudzai
Sushma Swaraj, External Affairs Minister met Umer Daudzai, (during his visit to India) Afghanistan’s High Peace Council Secretary who briefed her on the outcome of the recently held the historic ‘Loya Jirga’ or peace meeting in Kabul. “Loya jirga” peace summit in Kabul was held in May 2019 which had around 3,200 religious and tribal leaders, politicians and representatives.The ‘loya jirga’ had delegates from across Afghanistan who demanded an immediate and permanent ceasefire, and President Ashraf Ghani was conditionally prepared to implement the demand.Daudzai, special envoy of President Ashraf Ghani and National Security Advisor, Ajit Doval also met Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale.National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval notified that the conflict in Afghanistan should be resolved through direct talks, led and owned by the Afghanistan government.India has expressed its full support for sustainable peace, economic development, and stability in Afghanistan.
- Mendez Nunez (Frigate) ship was in news recently, the ship belongs to which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Spain
Spanish Navy ship ‘Mendez Nunez’ (Frigate) with a crew of 30 officers and 135 sailors is on Mumbai visit from May 18 to 23. The ship is on Overseas Deployment, and is docked at the Mumbai Port Trust.The Commanding Officer of ‘Mendez Nunez’ will interact with Rear Admiral Rajesh Pendharkar, Flag Officer Commanding, Maharashtra Naval Area, during its stay, it said. According to the communique, Indian Naval Ships (INS) and submarines have been visiting Spanish ports during overseas deployments.The visit by the Spanish Navy ship to Mumbai would further strengthen the existing bonds between the two navies.
- Which country has launched new initiative named ‘Merit-Based Immigration System’ for permanent legal residency?
2) United States
4) United Arab Emirates
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) United States
US President Donald Trump in an announcement in Rose Garden speech, unveiled a new ‘Merit-Based Immigration System’. This is a point based system for professionals where skills of the people will be preferred for permanent residency against the current country based quotas which requires family ties for green cards. It will replace the existing green cards with ‘Build America’ visa. Under the new plan, 57% of the proportion of green cards or lawful permanent residence status will be given to people with skill-based visas as against the present rate at 12%. In addition to this, immigrants are required learn English and pass a civics exam prior to admission.
- HDFC Capital Advisors launched an initiative termed as HeART, with an objective to mentor, partner and invest in real estate technology companies.What does A stands for?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Affordable
HDFC Capital Advisors, (a wholly-owned subsidiary of HDFC Ltd) launched an initiative termed as HDFC Affordable Real Estate and Technology Programme (HeART), the objective of which is to mentor, partner and invest in real estate technology companies which produce innovative products that aim at lowering costs and creating efficiencies in every stage of the development cycle of the affordable housing system. Due to the upcoming technology disruptions, all processes like land approvals, planning and design, construction, project management, sales and facilities management would undergo drastic change.HDFC Capital will also be collaborating with leading academic institutions, industry platforms and accelerators which would aid in creating an ecosystem that supports various components in the development affordable housing.
- Which telecommunications company has partnered with google for expanding its WiFi footprint?
1) Reliance Jio
2) Vodafone Group Plc
3) Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
4) Bharti Airtel
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has partnered with Google on the occasion of World Telecom Day (May 17). The objective is to expand BSNL’s Wi-Fi footprint in the country. Currently, there are around 38,000 BSNL Wi-Fi hotspot locations working across the country and one can use these after buying the Wi-Fi vouchers worth of Rs 19 and more. Additional Information .Recently, state-run telecom major BSNL has also taken several steps to increase the rural Wi-Fi footprints which are the part of government’s “Digital India” initiative.
- Name the Information technology company, which has recently signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with French based digital content publishing firm Rakuten Aquafadas to build customer experience offerings.
2) Tech Mahendra
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Tech Mahendra
Tech Mahendra signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with French based digital content publishing firm Rakuten Aquafadas. The objective of this partnership is to collaborate on building enhanced customer experience offerings. This partnership will also help both the companies to drive further innovation in the fields like artificial intelligence, machine learning and digital transformation space.
- Which country has created a new Guinness World Records for ‘largest laundry lesson’ with participation of over 400 young men?
1) United States
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) India
On May 17, 2019, India achieved a Guinness World Records of ‘largest laundry lesson’ with the participation of 400 young Indian men. The event was a part of #sharetheload campaign. It was done to share the responsibility of cleaning clothes at home along with the female members of the family. The event was initiated by Ariel India. It was hosted by Mandira Bedi and Indian Actor Anil Kapoor also joined the function.Earlier, the largest laundry lesson was achieved by Lion NANOX Team (Japan) at Lion Hirai Research Laboratory in Edogawa, Tokyo, Japan on November 29, 2017. It had 318 people.
- National Security Guards (NSG), a counter terrorism unit has created history by scaling Mount Everest in the first attempt, NSG works under which ministry?
1) Ministry of Home Affairs
2) Ministry of Defence
3) Ministry of External Affairs
4) Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ministry of Home Affairs
A counter terror force National Security Guards (NSG) commandos have created the history by scaling the Mount Everest in the first attempt. Lt. Col J P Kumar led 7-memeber team of the NSG and successfully unfurled the Indian flag at the Mount Everest which is 8,848 metre tall. The 7 member team has adopted the south-eastern approach via south Col in Solukhumbu region of Nepal.
- What is the name of the deceased internet sensation cat nicknamed as Grumpy Cat?
2) Tardar Sauce
3) Tuxedo Stan
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Tardar Sauce
On May 14, 2019, Internet sensation, Tardar Sauce commonly called Grumpy Cat passed away aged 7. This news was announced by Tabatha Bundesen from Morristown, Arizona, the owner of Grumpy Cat. It suffered from urinary tract infection. Grumpy Cat had feline dwarfism. It had become a viral internet sensation in September 2012 on Reddit in a post titled “Meet Grumpy Cat” uploaded by Tabatha’s brother Bryan.At the time of death, it had 2.4 million followers on Instagram, 1.5m followers on Twitter and 8.5m likes on Facebook.Grumpy cat had contracted with meme agent Ben Lashes who managed other viral stars like Keyboard Cat, Scumbag Steve and Nyan Cat. It was also the star of its own movie “Grumpy Cat’s Worst Christmas Ever”.It was the official “Spokescat” for Friskies and appeared on several US TV shows including Today and Good Morning America. It’s first book titled “Grumpy Cat: A Grumpy Book”, was published in the year 2013. It also had own waxwork made at Madame Tussauds in San Francisco which was unveiled in 2015.
- What was the theme of International Museum Day 2019?
1) Theme – “Museums and Cultural Landscapes”
2) Theme – “Museums and contested histories: Saying the unspeakable in museums”
3) Theme – “Museums as Cultural Hubs: The future of tradition”
4) Theme – “Hyperconnected Museums: New approaches, new publics”
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Theme – “Museums as Cultural Hubs: The future of tradition”
International Museum Day 2019 is celebrated on May 18 annually. It is observed to create awareness on the importance of museums for the development of society. The theme of International Museum Day 2019 is “Museums as Cultural Hubs: The future of tradition”. International Museum Day is organized by the International Council of Museums(ICOM).This day was celebrated for the first time in 1977.In India, Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) allows free entry to the general public to the museums as a part of International Museum Day celebrations.
- Day of Vesak 2019 also known as Buddha Purnima, Buddha Day or Buddha Jayanti 2019 was observed on _____________?
1) May 18
2) May 15
3) May 17
4) May 16
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) May 18
The UN General Assembly, by its resolution 54/115 of 1999 has internationally recognized the Day of Vesak also known as Buddha Purnima, Buddha Day or Buddha Jayanti. This day commemorates the birth anniversary of Gautama Buddha (or Lord Buddha). This year it day coincides with May 18, which witnessed the 2,563rd birth anniversary of the Lord Buddha. Buddha Purnima also acknowledges the contribution made by Buddhism for humanity.It is celebrated worldwide on the day of May (Vaishakha) that has the full Moon (known as Purnima).It was on the Day of Vesak, around 2.5 millennia ago, in 623 B.C., Buddha was born at Lumbini Grove. It was also on the Day of Vesak that the Buddha attained enlightenment under a Bodhi Tree (Peepal tree), and it was also on the Day of Vesak that the Buddha in his 80th year passed away. Thus, the Day of Vesak marks the 3 major events of Buddha’s life.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Who is the Secretary-General of United Nation?António Guterres
- Where is the headquarter of Archaeological Survey of India(ASI)?New Delhi
- What is the Motto of National Security Guards (NSG)?Omnipresent Omnipotent Security
- Where is the headquarter of Google?California, US
- When was Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) launched?14th January 2016