AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily Current Affairs March 20 2019 Quiz to achieve more marks in Banking, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT, Railways and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- Current Affairs
- Current Affairs 2019
- Current Affairs March 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs February 2019 PDF
- Current Affairs PDF
- Where did three day 14th CII-EXIM Bank Conclave on India-Africa Project Partnerships held,which discusses 2 key themes on digital infrastructure and digital skills?
3) New Delhi
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) New Delhi
On 19th March 2019, the three day 14th CII-EXIM Bank Conclave on India-Africa Project Partnerships concluded in New Delhi. The Conclave will enhance the partnership between India and Africa in economic as well as business terms.The event was organized by Ministry of Commerce and Industry in association with Exim Bank of India and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).It will help the Government in a range of cross-border project partnership where India-Africa partnership assumed to be critically important for the global economy.The key areas identified for discussion during the Conclave revolve around two key themes which are digital infrastructure and digital skills.n sept 2018, Ministry of External Affairs inked MoU with Telecommunications Consultants India Limited (TCIL) to establish a pan- Africa e-Arogya Bharti Network Project to aid Africa’s journey towards achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Name the top three cities,that share the top spot in the world’s most expensive city for first time in the 30 year long history according to Economist Intelligence Unit(EIU) survey.
iii. Hong Kong
1) Option i alone
2) Option i & ii alone
3) Option i,ii & iii
4) All the above mentioned Options
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Option i,ii & iii
On 19 March 2019, the annual Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) survey listed Singapore, Paris and Hong Kong as the world’s most expensive cities. In the 30 year long history it is for the first time the three cities are sharing the top spot.Zurich and Geneva in Switzerland ranked fourth and fifth respectively in the Expensive Cities list while Osaka in Japan ranked 6th position.As per EIU, Bengaluru, Chennai and New Delhi ranked 5th, 7th and 8th position respectively among the top ten cheapest cities.Caracas in Venezuela topped the cheapest cities in the world list. Damascus in Syria 2nd followed by Tashkent in Uzbekistan and Almaty in Kazakhstan.The survey will help the companies to calculate cost of living allowances and build compensation packages for business travelers and expatriates.
- Where did 4th Round of Free Trade Agreement (FTA) to enhance the two-way commerce between India and Peru held?
3) New Delhi,India
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Lima,Peru
4th Round of Free Trade Agreement (FTA) talks between India and Peru concluded in Lima on 15th March.The FTA agreement is aimed to enhance the two-way commerce between India and Peru.The Bilateral trade between India and Peru has been increased from 1.77 billion dollars in 2016-17 to 3.13 billion dollars in 2017-18 and Lima ranked third among export destination for India in Latin America and Caribbean region.
- Which country has renamed its capital as Nursultan recently?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Kazakhstan
On 20th March 2019,Kazakhstan has renamed its capital as Nursultan from its previous name Astana in order to recognize its outgoing leader Nursultan Nazarbayev(78), who has served nearly 30 years as president of Kazakhstan.The name was changed after Kassym-Jomart Tokayev sworn in as president of Kazakhstan.The new president will serve till April 2020.
- Name the bank,that has signed a loan agreement worth USD 83.11 million to Congo for financing three solar power projects.
1) State Bank of India(SBI)
2) HDFC Bank
3) Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank)
4) RBL Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank)
On 19th March 2019, Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) signed a loan agreement on behalf of the government of USD 83.11 million (approx Rs.5,72,08,76,850) to Congo for financing three solar power projects in the central African country.It aims to provide support for financing three solar photovoltaic power projects with a total capacity of 35 megawatts in the three provinces — Karawa, Mbandaka, and Lusambo.Exim Bank.During the three days of 14th CII-Exim Conclave 2019 which was concluded on 19th March in New Delhi, these LOC agreements were exchanged between Ambassador of Congo to India Mossi Nyamale Rosette and Exim Bank Managing Director David Rasquinha.Till now, Exim Bank has extended 10 LOC total value of USD 578.05 million, to the government of Congo on behalf of the Government of India.With this agreement, Exim Bank has a total of 244 LOCs covering 63 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) with around $23.43 billion credit commitments.
- What is the name of the short term loan given by Reserve Bank of India(RBI) to state government inorder to bridge temporary liquidity mismatches in the state?
1) Ways and Means Advances
2) Short term loans and Advances
3) Short term repaying loans
4) Grants against Fixed Deposits
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Ways and Means Advances
On 18th March 2019, Reserve Bank of India proposed to replace the previous expenditure-based system with a rule-based approach in fixing new Ways and Means limits for the state governments and set up a panel to recommend the parameters of the new system.The objective of this reform is to prevent automatic monetization of deficits.To bridge temporary liquidity mismatches Reserve Bank of India which acts as debt manager for state governments make available short-term loan for them. This short-term loan facility is called Ways and Means Advances.The state Government also agreed to link their receipts and payment systems with Core Banking Solution(e-Kuber) of Reserve Bank of India for the effectiveness of this new reform.
- Which bank has signed MoU with State Bank of India to boost business opportunities between both the banks?
1) Bank of America
2) Bank of China
3) Bank of Scotland
4) HSBC Bank
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Bank of China
On 19th March 2019, State Bank of India (SBI) signed a pact with the third largest Bank in the world by capital size,Bank of China (BoC) to boost business opportunities. It will enhance the business cooperation between both the banks.It will facilitate the two major banks to provide its clients access to banking products and services of each other. It will be mutually beneficial for both the banks and the two largest and fastest growing economies.India’s largest lender SBI already has a branch in Shanghai and Bank of China, one of the major players in the Chinese banking sector is planning to open its branch in Mumbai.Partnering with SBI will make BoC an opportunity to grow through established relationships and market expertise as India is increasingly making its global presence across the world.
- According to World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO),which country filed the greatest number of Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT),patent applications in 2018?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) US
On 19th March 2019, India registered the highest growth of 27% among countries in patent applications in 2018 with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). India filed 2013 international patent applications during the year.In the volume of patent filings, India fall below China and the US. China is expected to overtake the US as the leading hub for global innovation as per WIPO.China filed 53345 international patent applications last year which was 48905 in 2017. Innovators and research organizations in India in the previous year filed 1583 patent applications with WIPO.The report on patents are filed by members of the WIPO’s Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) under which innovators from the member countries file their patent applications with the WIPO which is to be transmitted to the patent regulators in different countries for securing patent rights.US-based applicants filed 56,142 PCT applications, followed by those from China (53,345), Japan (49,702), Germany (19,883), and Korea (17,014).
- What is the new rate slashed by GST Council for construction flats during its 34thGST Council that held in New Delhi?
5) None of the theseAnswer – 3) 5%
On 19th March 2019, Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley chaired 34th meeting of the Goods and Services Tax Council in New Delhi. It discussed the operational details for implementation of the recommendations made by the 33rd meeting of the council.The tax rate for under construction flats slashed to 5% and affordable homes to 1% without input tax credit (ITC) by the GST Council. Currently 12% GST is levied with input tax credit on payments made for under construction properties. It will be effective from April 1st.The council approved transition plan for new tax rates on residential properties. The developers of under construction buildings may either opt to shift to the revised lower rates without input tax credit or stick on to the previous rates.For housing projects launched after April 1st, the developers need to follow the new GST rates recommended by the Council. As per the council the changes will boost the real estate selling and ensure the rate cut benefits on to the middle class home buyers.
- Name the first Indian low-cost carrier,which received International Air Transport Association (IATA) membership recently.
3) Air India
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) SpiceJet
On 19th March 2019,SpiceJet received the International Air Transport Association (IATA) membership,becoming the first among the Indian low-cost carriers.The membership will be helpful for SpiceJet for its expansion plans by to have code shares and agreements with other carriers.SpiceJet is the fifth member of IATA from India. The membership will allow the carrier to infuse innovative ideas and best practices. IATA is a trade association for world’s airlines. It represents around 290 airplanes or 82% of the total air traffic.
- Who is chosen for Vyas Samman 2018 for his collection of poems “Jitne Log Utne Prem”?
1) Sunita Jain
2) Mamta Kalia
3) Surendra Verma
4) Leeladhar Jagudi
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Leeladhar Jagudi
On 15th March 2019, Hindi writer Leeladhar Jagudi honoured with Vyas Samman 2018 for his collection of poems “Jitne Log Utne Prem” published in 2013. He also authored several poetry anthologies. The award carries an amount of Rs. 4 lakhs and it was started by K K Birla foundation in 1991. Leeladhar was born in Dhangal village of Uttarakhand. He received Padma Shri in 2004 and Sahitya Akademi Award, Akashvani National Award and Uttarakhand Gaurav Samman as well.Shankhmukhi Shikharo Par, Natak Jaari Hai, Raat Ab Bhi Maujood Hai and Bhay Bhi Shakti Deta Hai are some of his famous books.
- Karen Uhlenbeck has become the first woman to win Abel Prize. Abel Prize is referred as noble prize of which field?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Mathematics
Mathematician Karen Uhlenbeck(76) became the first woman to be conferred with 6 million Norwegian kroner ($700,000) Abel Prize, which is regarded as Nobel prize of mathematics.Karen Uhlenbeck.She was recognized for her work in the field of gauge theory and geometric analysis gave an extensive impact in mathematics as well as in physics.In 2014, Maryam Mirzakhani, became the only woman to won the other major international mathematics prize, the Fields Medal.
- Name the Indian psychologist professor,who won the Hans-Kilian Award 2019 for providing deeper insight regarding human psyche.
1) Vipul Rastogi
2) Kamna Chhibber
3) Ashis Nandy
4) Subin Vazhayil
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Ashis Nandy
On 15th March 2019, Indian psychologist professor Ashis Nandy, who was Former director of the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS) and co-founder of the postcolonial theory, has been chosen for the Hans-Kilian Award 2019 which carries an amount of 80,000 Euros.He received the prestigious Fukuoka Asian Culture Prize in 2007.The award is given for the achievements of providing deeper insight regarding human psyche and aims to boost the growth of interdisciplinary social psychology.It was named after the late social psychologist and psychoanalyst Hans Kilian and given by the Köhler Foundation. Dr. Hartmut Bohme (2011), Dr. Hans Joas (2013), Dr. Jessica Benjamin (2015) and Dr. Jaan Valsiner (2017) are the previous recipients of this award.
- Who has been appointed as the country’s first Lokpal or the anti-corruption ombudsman by President Ram Nath Kovind?
1) Pinaki Chandra Ghose
2) Jagdish Singh Khehar
4) Mehr Chand Mahajan
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Pinaki Chandra Ghose
On 20th March 2019, 66-year old Former Supreme Court judge Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose appointed as the country’s first Lokpal or the anti-corruption ombudsman,by President Ram Nath Kovind.He is serving as a member of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) since June 29, 2017.Former Chief Justices Dilip B. Bhosale, Pradip Kumar Mohanty, and Abhilasha Kumari and current Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh High Court Ajay Kumar Tripathi have been appointed as judicial members under the Lokpal.After five years of the Lokpal Act,the selection was made for looking into the cases of corruption by the public servants.
- K M Mammen was appointed as the chairman of which Association?
1) National Association Of Software And Service Companies
2) Automotive Tyre Manufacturers’ Association (ATMA)
3) Indian Banks Association (IBA)
4) Indian Drug Manufacturers’ Association
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Automotive Tyre Manufacturers’ Association (ATMA)
On 18th March 2019, Automotive Tyre Manufacturers’ Association (ATMA) has appointed Chairman & Managing Director of Madras Rubber Factory Limited(MRF) Mr. K M Mammen as its chairman.He will succeed Raghupati Singhania, CMD of JK Tyres & Industries Ltd.Initiated in 1975, Automotive Tyre Manufacturers’ Association (ATMA) is a national industry body representing Rs 60,000 crore ($ 8.5 billion) Indian automotive tyre sector.
- Kassym-Jomart Tokayev was sworn in as president of which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Kazakhstan
78-year old Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev announced his resignation after nearly three decades in power without stating any specific reason. He served as the first and only President of Kazakhstan, from 24 April 1990 until his resignation on 19 March 2019. Nursultan Nazarbayev will be succeeded by Kassym-Jomart Tokayev (65).
- Name the Mumbai social activist,who was appointed as the first transgender election ambassador by the Election Commission of India.
1) Sathyasri Sharmila
2) Joyita Mondal
3) Prithika Yashini
4) Gauri Sawant
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Gauri Sawant
On 20th March 2019, 38-year-old transgender activist ShreeGauri Sawant from Mumbai has been appointed as first transgender election ambassador by The Election Commission of India.There was no separate classification of transgenders as voters till 2014 but after that transgenders were first enrolled as voters along with males and females.The highest enrolment of transgenders (324) is in Mumbai North Lok Sabha constituency.
- Who were the 2 retired Indian Revenue Service(IRS) officers appointed as the special expenditure observers for the upcoming Lok Sabha Election by Election Commission of India?
i. Vinod Zutshi
ii. Madhu Mahajan
iii. Shailendra Handa
1) Option i & ii
2) Option i & iii
3) Option ii & iii
4) Option iii & ivAnswer – 3) Option ii & iii
On 20th March 2019, Election Commission(EC) of India has appointed 2 retired Indian Revenue Service(IRS) officers of the Income Tax Department, Shailendra Handa and Madhu Mahajan as special expenditure observers for the upcoming Lok Sabha Election. The 2 IRS officers will look after the following exertion: 1.Supervising and monitoring work done by election machinery. 2.To curb black money and illegal inducements of money to lure voters. 3.To Supervise complaints received through the C-Vigil app.
- As per US based researchers from NASA,which planet is closer to earth?
5) None of theseAnswer – 2) Mercury
On 19th March 2019, the US based researchers from NASA, Los Alamos National Laboratory and US army disclosed a new ideology that mercury is closer to earth than Venus.As per the research on the basis of average distance,every other planet when compared to mercury is farther from earth including Venus based on average distance. It also included mercury is the closest planet to every other planet in the solar system when considering the average.To calculate distance between planetary bodies involves their relative distance from the sun which is measured in Astronomical Unit (AU),as per the current methodology. The study says mercury is at 0.387 AU from earth while Venus is at 0.722 AU.
- Organisers of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled a __________shaped torch for the 2020 Olympics?
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Cherry-Blossom
The organizers of the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo have chosen a Japanese motif — the cherry blossom for their Olympic torch. The design, unveiled,makes use of not only a traditional “Sakura-mon” blossom emblem but also the same aluminum extrusion technology used in the manufacture of the country’s well-known bullet trains. It will generate five flames from a cluster of petal-shaped cylinders.The torch is made using the same cutting-edge technology as in the production of japan’s bullet trains and is formed of a seamless, single piece of aluminium. It measures 71cm in length and weighs 1.2kg.
- Name the former Supreme Court judge,who passed away at the age of 75 in New Delhi recently.
1) K.N. Wanchoo
2) Bijan Kumar Mukherjea
3) Satya Brata Sinha
4) S.M. Sikri
5) None of theseAnswer – 3) Satya Brata Sinha
Former Supreme Court judge Mr.Satya Brata Sinha died at the age of 75 in New Delhi. His native was Dhanbad,Jharkhand.He was serving as Supreme Court judge from October 3, 2002 until August 8, 2009.
- Superfan Naotoshi Yamada often called as ‘Uncle Olympics’ dies at the age of 92.He belongs to which country?
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) Japan
Superfan Naotoshi Yamada, famous in Japan for having been to every Summer Games since 1964, has died aged 92 with an unfulfilled dream of watching the Olympics when it returns to Tokyo next year. A Japanese Olympic mega-fan who attended every summer games since Tokyo in 1964 has died, just over a year before his home city was to host its second Olympics.The Tokyo businessman was a national celebrity in his own right with his repeated, gleeful appearances in Olympic stands.
- When was the World Sparrow day observed?
1) 17th March
2) 18th March
3) 19th March
4) 20th March
5) None of theseAnswer – 4) 20th March
The World Sparrow Day(WSD) is observed annually on 20th March to spread awareness about the house sparrow as well as to educated people about the threat to their population. The Theme for this year’s World Sparrow Day is “I love sparrows”. The Nature Forever Society of India founded by Mohammed Dilawar in collaboration with the Eco-Sys Action Foundation (France) has taken this international initiative.In the year 2010, the first World Sparrow Day was celebrated and in the year 2012, a campaign “Rise of Sparrows” launched by Delhi Government aimed at conservation of House Sparrow and also declared it as ‘state bird’ of Delhi.
- What was the theme of International Day of Happiness 2019?
1) Theme – “Happier Together ”
2) Theme – “Share Happiness”
3) Theme – “ Happiness to be Shared ”
4) Theme – “Live Happily ”
5) None of theseAnswer – 1) Theme – “Happier Together ”
On March 20th of every year the ‘International Happiness Day’ is celebrated worldwide.The concept of happiness day was founded by prominent United Nations special advisor Jayme Illien and it was celebrated from the year 2013.Theme of International Day of Happiness 2019 is ‘Happier Together’. This year also celebrates with a central aim “ShareHappiness and be Part of Something Amazing.”Main concept of the day is to create awareness about importance of happiness in everyone’s life around the world.
Static GK Quiz based on Current Affairs:
- Where is the headquarter of Export–Import Bank of India located?Mumbai
- Who is the chairman of State Bank of India?Rajnish Kumar
- Where is the headquarter of World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) located?Geneva,Switzerland.
- Who is the Governor of Mizoram?Jagdish Mukhi
- What is the Capital and Currency of Kazakhstan?Capital: Nursultan and Currency: Kazakhstani tenge