AffairsCloud brings you the complete and important daily current affairs quiz August 12,2017 to achieve more marks in Banking , insurance, UPSC, SSC, CLAT ,railway and all other competitive Exams. We have prepared the current affairs quiz from our current affairs today updates.
- ‘Code on Wages, 2017’ Bill that seeks to fix a national minimum wage, was introduced in the Lok Sabha on August 10, 2017. The bill includes provisions from which previous acts?
1.Payment of Wages Act 1936
2.Minimum Wages Act 1948
3.Payment of Bonus Act 1965
4.Equal Remuneration Act 1976
5.All of the above
Answer – 5.All of the above
Introducing the Bill, Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya said, Code on Wages Bill will consolidate and amend the laws relating to wages and bonus. The Code offers for the government to determine the minimum wages every five years using factors like skills required for the job, arduousness of work, geographical location of work place and other aspects.
- Human Resource Development (HRD) Ministry has launched a new video of the National Anthem in sign language, featuring disabled and partially disabled children. Who among the following has directed this video?
Answer –1.Govind Nihalani
The 3-minute video features film star Amitabh Bachchan along with physically challenged children performing the anthem in sign language with the Red Fort in the background. The video was also launched in Goa, Bhopal, Chandigarh and Kolhapur.
- To improve road safety with the use of technology, which State Government, has announced the launch of Smart Streets Lab program?
To improve road safety in Hyderabad with the use of technology, the Government of Telangana, along with World Resources Institute (WRI) India Ross Center, has announced the launch of Smart Streets Lab program.
- Dr Ruth Pfau, a German doctor popularly known as _________ ‘Mother Teresa’ for dedicating her life to eradicate leprosy in the country passed away on August 10, 2017.
Dr. Pfau was born in 1929 in Germany and lived through the horrors of the World War II. She first visited Pakistan in 1960 and was so touched by the plight of leprosy victims that she decided to stay forever in the country to treat them. Due to her tireless efforts, the World Health Organisation in 1996 declared Pakistan one of the first countries in Asia to be free of leprosy.
- Who among the following Indian-American has been appointed as chair of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) by US President Donald Trump?
Answer –1.Neil Chatterjee
US President Donald Trump had appointed Indian-American Neil Chatterjee as chair of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). Previously, Chatterjee had been an energy policy advisor to US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.
- On August 10, 2017, which public sector bank unveiled two new digital services for online payments – Bharat QR (Quick Response) and Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS)?
5.Bank of India
Answer –2.Canara Bank
On August 10, 2017, Canara Bank unveiled two new digital services for online payments. Bharat QR (Quick Response) for payment settlement at merchant locations and Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS), an integrated bill payment system for net banking customers.
- Which three Indian firms have featured in Forbes’ list of the world’s 100 most innovative companies?
1.Hindustan Unilever, Asian Paints and Patanjali Ayurved
2.Patanjali Ayurved, Asian Paints and Bharti Airtel
3.Hindustan Unilever, Asian Paints and Bharti Airtel
4.Hindustan Unilever, Asian Paints and Infosys
5.Infosys, Asian Paints and Bharti Airtel
Answer –3.Hindustan Unilever, Asian Paints and Bharti Airtel
BhartiAirtel has entered the ranking at 78th position. HUL and Asian Paints have moved up in their ranks to 7thand 8th respectively (from 31st and 18th last year). Salesforce.com has replaced Tesla Motors on the top position.
- Who among the following have been awarded ‘Hindu Playwright Award 2017’?
1.Gerish Khemani and Mohit Rastogi
2.Mohit Rastogi and Akshat Nigam
3.Ravi Jain and Akshat Nigam
4.Gerish Khemani and Akshat Nigam
5.Gerish Khemani and Ravi Jain
Answer – 4.GerishKhemani and Akshat Nigam
The Hindu Playwright Award 2017 has been awarded to Gerish Khemani and Akshat Nigam for their play ‘In Search of Dariya Sagar’. The playwriting award was organized by the newspaper The Hindu in Chennai. The 2 lakh award was presented to the two playwrights at the 13th edition of The Hindu Theatre festival.
- Who among the following veteran journalist has bagged the first Kesari Media Award?
1.T J S George
2.N K Ragahavan
3.G V Gupta
Answer – 1.T J S George
The ward has been instituted by the Kesari Memorial Journalist Trust. The award comprises a purse of Rs 50,000, citation and a statuette designed by renowned artist Bhatathiri.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has lined up over _________ rocket launches and will be putting over 70 satellites in space over the next five years.
1.21 rocket launches
2.26 rocket launches
3.31 rocket launches
4.36 rocket launches
5.41 rocket launches
Answer – 1. 21 rocket launches
ISRO’s plan to launch 21 rockets in coming years is a part of the Rs 8,658.74 crore sanctioned by the Indian Government to build and launch about 31 rockets, including 15 PSLVs, 13 GSLV’s and three GSLV MK-III.
- Scientists from which country have designed and tested a micro-propulsion system that uses water as the propellant for orbital manoeuvring of tiny satellites called CubeSats?
Answer – 4.US
Engineers from Purdue University in US have designed and tested a micro-propulsion system called a Film-Evaporation MEMS Tunable Array (FEMTA) thruster that uses water as the propellant for orbital manoeuvring of tiny satellites called CubeSats.
- Who among the following has replaced Pahlaj Nihalani as new chairperson of Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC)?
Answer – 4.Prasoon Joshi
Bollywood lyricist-screenwriter and ad guru Prasoon Joshi has replaced Pahlaj Nihalani as CBFC chairperson. He will serve for a period of 3 years or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- Uhuru Kenyatta has won a second and final five-year term as President of which African contry?
Answer – 1.Kenya
Kenyatta, who has been in office since 2013, got 54.3% of the vote, and opposition leader Raila Odinga got 44.7%. According to election commission figures, nearly 80% of the 19 million registered voters cast their ballots.
- Who among the following has been accredited as the Ambassador of India to the Grand Duchy Luxembourg?
2.Gaitri Issar Kumar
Answer – 2.Gaitri Issar Kumar
Gaitri Issar Kumar an IFS: 1986 presently Ambassador of India to Belgium has been concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to the Grand Duchy Luxembourg, with residence in Brussels. She is expected to take up the assignment shortly.
- Vinay Dube has joined as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of which airline?
Answer – 2.Jet Airways
Vinay Dube is an Indian American. His appointment was approved by the Jet Airways’ board of directors on May 30, 2017. Dube has served in various roles at Delta Airlines, Sabre Inc and American Airlines in the USA, Europe and Asia.
- Who among the following has been appointed as Managing Director of Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank)?
Answer – 4. David Rasquinha
David Rasquinha has been appointed as Managing Director of Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) on August 11, 2017. Rasquinha is at present, Deputy Managing Director of the Exim Bank. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved his appointment to the post for three years.
- Ted Corbett, who passed away on August 9, 2017, was:
2.Nature Conservation Activist
3.Nobel Prize-winning Physicist
4.Renowned Painter from England
Answer – 1.Veteran Journalist
Ted Corbett was an English cricket writer and sports journalist. He wrote The Great Cricket Betting Scandal. Best known for his cricket journalism, Corbett has also covered both rugby codes, soccer, snooker, golf and athletics.
- Sifiso Thabete, who passed away on August 12, 2017, was:
1.South African Cricketer
2.South African Bodybuilder
3.Former Prime Minister of South Africa
4.Former President of South Africa
5.Billionaire Entrepreneur from South Africa
Answer – 2.South African Bodybuilder
Sifiso Lungelo Thabete’s attempt to entertain the audience by showing a back-flip went horribly wrong when he failed to rotate far enough and landed on his head, which resulted in breaking his neck.
- Israeli Holocaust survivor Yisrael Kristal, certified in 2016 by Guinness World Records as the world’s oldest man, passed away at the age of _____ on August 11, 2017
Answer – 1.113 years
Israeli Holocaust survivor Yisrael Kristal died at the age of 113 on August 11, 2017 in his hometown of Haifa. He was certified in 2016 by Guinness World Records as the world’s oldest man.
- What was the theme of ‘International Youth Day 2017’ observed on August 12, 2017?
1.‘Youth and Sustainable Development’
2.‘Youth and Employment’
3.‘Youth Building Harmony’
4.‘Youth Building Peace’
5.‘Youth and Technology’
Answer – 4.‘Youth Building Peace’
‘International Youth Day’ is aimed at celebrating young people’s contributions in preventing conflicts and to bring about transformations along with incorporation, social justice and sustainable peace. It encourages promoting the active involvement of youth in maintaining peace and security.
- On the occasion of ‘World Elephant Day’ (August 12th), which campaign was launched by Union Environment, Forest and Climate Change Minister, Dr. Harsh Vardhan to protect elephants?
Answer – 3.’Gaj Yatra’
‘Gaj Yatra’ campaign is planned to cover 12 elephant range states. Addressing the gathering on the occasion, Dr. Vardhan said, a war must be waged against poachers and hunters who harm elephants and other wildlife.