Established in 1916 by freedom fighter Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya, Banaras Hindu University (BHU) has completed its 100 years of foundation on 13th February 2016.
- BHU had played an important role in the freedom movement of India.
- It was aimed to act as a bridge between India’s past and modernising world system in the areas of social sciences, humanities particularly in evolving non-colonial history as a discipline.
BHU to Confer Doctor of Law on PM Modi
Banaras Hindu University (BHU) is all set to bestow Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the degree of Doctor of Law (LLD) (honoris causa) recognition of his services as an innovator, reformer and an outstanding leader in public service and governance during the convocation which is scheduled to be held on February 22.
About Banaras Hindu University
BHU is organised into 6 institutes, 14 streams and more than 132 departments. Total student enrolment at the university exceeds 30000 and includes students from over 34 nations.
Motto – विद्ययाऽमृतमश्नुते /Vidyaya mritamasnute (Sanskrit) which means “Knowledge imparts immortality”
University’s anthem – Kulgeet, composed by Dr. Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar
- BHU is one of the largest residential universities in Asia, with over 20,000 students.
- It is the first university in India that was the result of a private individual’s efforts.
- BHU has been listed in the list of Institutes of National Importance.
In 2014, the University was ranked at 142 among the top 300 universities in Asia by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) Rankings.