Hello Aspirants. Welcome to Online Quantitative Aptitude section in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Ratio & Proportion , which is common for all the competitive exams. We have included Some questions that are repeatedly asked in exams !!
Questions Penned by Yogit
- In a school the number of boys and girls are in the ratio of 4:7. If the number of boys are increased by 25% and the number of girls are increased by 15%. What will be the new ratio of number of boys to that of girls?
e) None of theseAnswer – c) 100:161
Boys = 4x and girls = 7x
Ratio = 4x*125/100 : 7x*115/100 = 100:161
- When 40% percent of a number is added to another number the second number increases to its 20%. What is the ratio between the first and second number?
e) None of theseAnswer – b) 1:2
(40/100)*a + b = (120/100)*b
a:b = 1:2
- An amount of money is to be distributed among P, Q and R in the ratio of 5:4:7 respectively. If the total share of P and R is 3 times the share of Q, what is definitely Q’s share?
d) data inadequate
e) None of theseAnswer – d) data inadequate
Total sum not given
- Two candles of same height are lighted at the same time. The first is consumed in 6 hours and second in 4 hours. Assuming that each candles burns at a constant rate, in how many hours after being lighted, the ratio between the first and second candles becomes 2:1?
a) 1 hour
b) 2 hour
c) 3 hour
d) 4 hour
e) None of theseAnswer – c) 3 hour
Let height of both candles is ‘h’ and let after t times ratio between the height be 2:1
h – t*h/6 : h – t*h/4 = 2:1
t = 3
- An employer reduces the number of his employees in the ratio of 7:4 and increases their wages in the ratio 3:5. State whether his bill of total wages increases or decreases and in what ratio.
a) increases 20:21
b) decreases 21:20
c) increases 21:22
d) decreases 22:21
e) None of theseAnswer – b) decreases 21:20
Let initial employees be 7x and then 4x similarly initial wages be 3y and then 5y
so total wage = 21xy initially and then 20xy
so wages decreases and ratio = 21:20
- A vessel contains milk and water in the ratio of 4:3. If 14 litres of the mixture is drawn and filled with water, the ratio changes to 3:4. How much milk was there in the vessel initially?
e) None of theseAnswer – b) 32
milk = 4x and water = 3x
milk = 4x – 14*4/7 and water = 3x – 14*3/7 + 14
4x – 8: 3x + 8 = 3:4
X = 8, so milk = 8*4 = 32 litres
- The ratio of two numbers is 3:4. If 3 is subtracted from both the numbers, the ratio becomes 1:2. Find the sum of the two numbers?
e) None of theseAnswer – b) 10.5
(3x – 3)/(4x – 3) = ½
x = 1.5
sum of the numbers = 7*1.5 = 10.5
- The sum of three numbers is 210. If the ratio between the first and second number be 2:3 and that between the second and third be 4:5, then the difference between the first and third number?
e) None of theseAnswer – c) 42
a: b = 2:3 and b:c = 4:5
a:b:c = 8:12:15
Difference between first and third number = (7/35)*210 = 42
- A bag contains 25p coins, 50p coins and 1 rupee coins whose values are in the ratio of 8:4:2. The total values of coins are 840. Then find the total amount in rupees.
e) None of theseAnswer – d) 280
Value is given in the ratio 8:4:2.
(8x/0.25) + (4x/0.5) + (2x/1) = 840.
X = 20. Total amount = 14*20 = 280
- The income of Neha and Hitesh are in the ratio of 4:5 and their expenditure is in the ratio of 2:3. If each of them saves 2000, then find their income.
a) 4000, 6000
b) 4000, 5000
c) 5000, 4000
d) 5000, 6000
e) None of theseAnswer – b) 4000, 5000
4x – 2y = 2000 and 5x – 3y = 2000.
X = 1000, so income = 4000 and 5000
Note: Dear Readers if you have any doubt in any chapter in Quants you can ask here. We will clear your doubts