On January 28, 2020 the 2019 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report (GGTTI), complete ranking report of the world’s think tank was released by the Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) at the University of Pennsylvania, United States(US). The index ranked top think tanks from around the world. As per the report India’s Observer Research Foundation (ORF) was ranked at 27th place among 176 global think tanks. The report was topped by Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (CEIP) of US.
2019 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report:
The report in detail are as follows:
Report on India:
i.ORF: India’s ORF which ranked 27th in 2019 was previously ranked 118th position in 2018. It has also featured at 9th place on the “Think Tank to Watch in 2019″ list and also ranked as the 7th most “Innovative” think tank globally. ORF has been rated among the top 30 global think tanks on “Foreign policy and International Affairs” and “International Economics”
- Most featured think tank: It also remained as the most featured Indian think tank, being ranked in 26 categories and the highest-ranked in India in 14 categories.
- Best conference: ORF organised Raisina Dialogue has been ranked as the 7th best conference in the report where it was ranked in 12th position previously.
ii.Other Indian think tanks: India’s other think tanks that featured on the list include
- Institute of Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) at 41st rank.
- Centre for Civil Society (CCS) at 83rd rank.
- Indian Council for Research on International Economic Research (ICRIER) was at 110th rank.
- The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) at 111th rank.
- Vivekananda International Foundation (VIF) was ranked at 149th rank.
iii.Political party affiliated think tanks: Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee Research Foundation (SPMRF) was the highest-ranked Indian think tank with a political party affiliation in the world. It ranked 31st, among 38 such institutions. India Foundation and Vivekananda International Foundation were ranked 36th and 37th in the list.
iv.Non-Us think tanks: Among the non US think tanks, ORF was ranked 15th in 2019. It moved up by one position from 4th in 2018 to rank 3rd among the Think Tanks in the region China, India, Japan and South Korea.
v.Think tanks in India: India has the 2nd-largest number of think tanks with 509 in the country. The US has the highest number of think tanks at 1,871. China ranks 3rd in large number of think tanks.
i.Top 3 list: The CEIP which topped the list was followed by Belgium’s Bruegel and French Institute of International Relations (IFRI) in the 2nd and 3rd place respectively. United Kingdom’s(UK) Chatham House was ranked 6th on the list.
- 4th and 5th rank: Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) of US and Brazil’s Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV) were ranked in the 4th and 5th place respectively.
ii.Ranking criteria: The ranking was based on factors such as think tank’s leadership, staff reputation, quality and reputation of the research and analysis produced, ability to recruit and retain elite scholars, analysts, academic performance, reputation, the impact of a think-tank’s research etc. Click here to know more.
|27||Observer Research Foundation (ORF)||India.|
|1||Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (CEIP)||United States.|
|3||French Institute of International Relations (IFRI)||France.|
About Observer Research Foundation(ORF):
Headquarters- New Delhi.
Formation- 5 September 1990.
Chairman- Sunjoy Joshi.