World Tuberculosis Day is being celebrated worldwide that aims to raise public awareness of tuberculosis and the efforts made to eliminate the disease.
- This event is held on March 24 each year and is promoted by organizations such as the World Health Organization.
- World TB Day is one of eight official global public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization.
- The theme of World TB Day 2016 is “Unite to End Tuberculosis”.
- WHO call comes as we enter the era of the Sustainable Development Goals. Ending tuberculosis (TB) by 2030 is a target of the SDGs and the goal of the WHO End TB Strategy.
- Tuberculosis, or TB, is an infectious bacterial disease caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis, which most commonly affects the lungs.
- It is transmitted from person to person via droplets from the throat and lungs of people with the disease.
- While there has been significant progress in the fight against TB, with 43 million lives saved since 2000,over 4 000 people lose their lives each day to this leading infectious disease.
- India is the highest TB burden country withWorld Health Organisation statistics for 2011 giving an estimated incidence figure of 2 million cases of TB for India out of a global incidence of 8.7 million cases.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification