- Uttarakhad to be the first state in India to get earthquake early warning system
- Uttarakhad belongs to seismic zone V i.e. High-Risk Seismic Zone.
- It has been predicted that this area might get 8 or more magnitude of earthquake in future.
Earthquake early warning system:-
- The system has been made by Space Dynamics, an Italian firm.
- All the system (sensor) that warn earthquakes normally detect P and S waves generated during an earthquake.
- Usually the P wave is harmless and travels faster than the S wave,
- The sensors for advance warning detects S wave generated during earth quake and warn before 1-40 seconds before earthquakes of magnitude , says Piyoosh Rautela, executive director of the State Disaster Mitigation and Management Centre.
- This system has already been used worldwide countries like Japan, Italy and U.S.