With an introduction of bilingual textbook, “Towards a World of Equals” in engineering colleges affiliated to the Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU-Hyderabad), Telangana has become the introductory state in the country to make gender education compulsory at the graduate level.
- The book edited by Susie Tharu and Dr.A.Suneetha has prescribed it as the textbook for the newly introduced mandatory course on Gender Sensitization in JNTUH.
About Book – Towards a World of Equals
The book’s topics doesn’t bound to the crimes committed on women but it provides information on macro view on little known women writers of the state, sex selection problems and the work of women in the fields of economics and politics.
- It also discusses how gender stereotyping is carried out using example pictures of male and female hairstyles and clothing choices, and even hits on gender stereotyping as seen in films, advertisements and songs.
- Complex subjects such as female-centric history, male-female relationships and women’s movements around the world are kept in front.
- It uses a simple form and language apt for under-graduate students.
The book written by Susie Tharu, Rama Melkote, Duggirala Vasanta, Asma Rasheed, Deepa Sreenivas, Uma Bhrugubanda, Gogu Shyamala, Vasudha Nagaraj and A.Suneetha.
- A nine women member panel has drafted the syllabus and developed its content.
- The book will be taught in two classes per week, for 14 weeks in a semester and comes with visual teaching tools, including documentary films.
CM – K. Chandrashekar Rao
Governor – E S L Narasimhan
Capital – Hyderabad