Argentina’s professional footballer Lionel Messi has been conferred with the FIFA Ballon d’Or award for the world player of the year beating his greatest rivals Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar.
- He has scooped the prestigious prize for a fifth time (previous wins between 2009 and 2012).
- Messi got 33% of total voting points in a 23-candidate ballot. Ronaldo received 27.76% and third-place Neymar got 7.86%.
Here is the list of other awards
Women’s player of the year – Carli Lloyd
- America’s Carli Lloyd beat Aya Miyama of Japan and Celia Sasic of Germany. Lloyd stood out by scoring six World Cup goals, including a stunning hat-trick in the opening 16 minutes of a 5-2 rout of Japan in the final.
Man Coach of the Year – Luis Enrique
- Barcelona’s Luis Enrique was voted coach of the year after guiding Barcelona to win the Champions League, Spain’s La Liga and cup, UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup.
Woman Coach of the year – Jill Ellis
- Ellis won the coaching award in women’s football ahead of two men: Japan coach Norio Sasaki and Mark Sampson, who led England to third place at the World Cup.
The Puskas Award – Wendell Lira
- Puskas Award for most beautiful goal was won by Wendell Lira for Goianesia against Atletico-GO in a Brazilian league game. Lira’s bicycle kick topped an online poll that logged more than 1.6 million votes.
Initially started as the FIFA World Player of the Year award in 1991, it became known as the Ballon d’Or after merging with France Football’s European footballer of the year award in 2010.