Water Health International (WHI), a US-based company with operating headquarters in Hyderabad, has been awarded the Unilever Global Development Award at the 20th Responsible Business Awards ceremony, held in London on July 4, 2017. WHI has been awarded for its endeavours in providing clean, safe and affordable drinking water to marginalised communities in India, Ghana and Nigeria.
Details about ‘Unilever Global Development Award’ to Water Health International (WHI):
The Unilever Global Development Award recognises companies that demonstrate positive impact in one or more of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)e. Initiatives for tackling poverty, climate change and inequality.
- Award ceremony is an annual event organised by the Business in the Community (BITC), a part of the Prince of Wales’ Responsible Business Network.
- The award jury comprised many prominent individuals from the industry.
- A total of 48 finalists were in competition in 10 different categories.
- For this award, WHI competed with the likes of Barclays and GSK, Agro America, M-Tron Africa, Sunny Money and Ayzh.
- WHI chief operating officer Vikas Shah said, “the award is global recognition of our consistent efforts over the last decade in providing access to safe, clean and affordable drinking to millions of underserved communities globally.”
About Water Health International (WHI):
Water Health International is a private, American multinational corporation founded in 1995.
- The company operates as a social business that provides drinking water to communities in primarily rural areas. Water Health purifies and retails water through decentralized plants termed “Water Health Center”.
- The company has installed around 500 Water Health Centers primarily in India, but also in Bangladesh, Ghana, Nigeria, and Liberia.