Rodrigo Duterte, the President of Philippines has won this year’s TIME magazine’s Readers’ Poll of the 100 most influential people in the world. Duterte received 5% of total ‘YES’ votes. He maintained the lead, right from the beginning of the poll. TIME 100 Reader’s Poll closed on April 16, 2017.
- TIME 100 Reader’s Poll is an online survey conducted by TIME Magazine, under which readers are asked to vote for probable contenders whom they think should be included in this year’s TIME 100 Most Influential People list.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was also named as a probable contender in this year’s Reader’s Poll, but he did not receive any YES votes. US Democratic Presidential nominee Bernie Sanders had won the TIME 100 Reader’s Poll in 2016.
- It is to be noted that above results are only pertaining to Reader’ Poll. The official TIME 100 list is compiled solely by TIME magazine’s editors. This year’s list will be released on April 20, 2017.
Votes received by Other Famous Personalities in TIME 100 Reader’s Poll 2017:
|Personality||% of YES Votes|
|Justin Trudeau – Prime Minister of Canada||3%|
|Bill Gates – Co-founder of Microsoft||3%|
|Mark Zuckerberg – CEO of Facebook||3%|
|Donald Trump – President of US||2%|
About Rodrigo Duterte:
Rodrigo Duterte is the 16th President of Philippines. On assuming charge in June 2016, he started a violent and aggressive anti-drug campaign which has claimed more than 8000 lives so far. Duterte’s high-handed method of dealing with drugs has been criticised by human rights groups and several political leaders.
- Duterte has constantly gained attention of international media due to his controversial statements against US and his inclination towards Russia and China. Duterte ranked at 70th position on Forbes World’s Most Powerful People 2016 list.
About TIME 100:
- TIME is an American news magazine. TIME 100 is an annual list of 100 most influential people in the world compiled by editors of TIME Magazine.
- The list was first published in year 1999.
- The criterion followed by TIME editors is to include those individuals in the list, whose actions have brought radical changes in the world. The changes can be positive or negative.
TIME 100 and Indian Personalities:
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was named by TIME editors among the 100 most influential people in the world in 2015.
- Former RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan, actress Priyanka Chopra, Google’s India-born CEO Sundar Pichai, tennis star Sania Mirza, founders ofFlipkart – Sachin Bansal and Binny Bansal were among last year’s TIME 100 most influential people.