On April 17, 2017, Union HRD Minister Mr. Prakash Javadekar launched a portal and a mobile app of Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) in New Delhi. 12 State Education Ministers, Department Secretaries and RUSA Nodal officers were also present on the launch occasion.
- He also released the Booklet “Digital Launch of Projects; Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA)”
RUSA portal will serve as one-stop access point for following information:
- States’ Higher Education Plans
- Archives (in the form of gallery) of the projects initiated under RUSA
- Details of the resources under this scheme
- Decision of the States’ Higher Education Councils
Total 17 RUSA projects were launched digitally on April 17, 2017.
Some important RUSA projects that were launched on April 17, 2017:
- Cluster university in Jammu & Kashmir
- Language laboratories in Ghatsila College, Jharkhand
- Solar power facility in Shree Sankaracharya University of Sanskrit, Kalady, Kerala
- Micro ATM facility at the RUSA centre for intelligent systems in Pune University
‘Fund and Reform Tracker’, a mobile application for LIVE monitoring of RUSA-funded projects was also launched by Mr. Javadekar on April 17, 2017.
About Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA):
Year of Launch: RUSA was launched in year 2013; however, implementation in its right earnest began after May 2016.
Administered by: Department of Higher Education, functioning under Union Ministry of Human Resource Development
Objective: To provide strategic central funding to State/UT Higher Education Departments and Institutions and thereby facilitating equitable access to superior quality higher education. ‘Equity, Access and Excellence’ in higher education are the key components of RUSA.
Implementation: RUSA is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS). In order to be eligible for RUSA grant from central govt., every State/UT should have a ‘Higher Education Plan’. Besides, State/UT higher education departments and institutions have to adopt prescribed reforms and governance measures. Central Ministry will send the funds to State/UT Govt., which will further send it to State/UT Higher Education Department and from there it will eventually reach the identified institution.
Progress attained under RUSA:
- Till date, 29 States and 6 Union Territories have participated in RUSA.
- The National Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) prior to the launch of RUSA was 20.8 (in 2012). The GER stood at 23.5 in 2015-16.
- To fulfil the commitment made under RUSA, states have started recruitment drives for filling up vacant faculty positions.
- Having a State/UT Higher Education Council is a prescribed condition to avail funds under RUSA. After the launch of RUSA, 26 State/UTs have created Higher Education Councils.