US President elect Donald Trump was chosen as the TIME’s Person of the Year 2016 on December 7, 2016, for his outstanding victory in the US election.
- According to the Time magazine’s editors, the Republican president-elect had more global impact, “for better or worse,” than any other individual across the past 12 months.
- Trump defeated five other contenders, including his election rival Hillary Clinton, musician Beyonce, and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, to be named “the person who had the greatest influence, for better or worse, on the events of the year
- Donald Trupms photograph is featured on the Time cover and reads, “Donald Trump: President of the Divided States of America”.
- The other contenders were for the title were Hillary Clinton, US gymnast Simone Biles, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage, the Flint, Michigan Whistleblowers, singer Beyonce, Russian President Vladimir Putin, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg among others.
- The magazine’s second most person of the year was Mrs. Hiliary Clinton, who is on track to win the popular vote but lost the Electoral College in the presidential election to Trump.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 4, 2016, won the online reader’s poll for TIME Person of the Year 2016, defeating other world leaders like Donald Trump, incumbent US leader Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Last year the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, was listed as the Person of the Year while US President Barack Obama, was named in 2008 when he was president-elect and then again in 2012.
About TIME Person of the Year
- TIME, in every December, names the person who had greatly impacted, for better or worse, throughout the entire year.
- The Person of the Year is picked by Time editors from among world leaders, artists, corporate czars and organizations.
About Donald Trump
Donald John Trump was born on June 14, 1946 in the Queens borough of New York City.He is an American businessman, politician, and the President-elect of the United States and is scheduled to take office on January 20, 2017.
- Trump received his bachelor’s degree in economics from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1968.
- In 1971, he started running his family’s real estate and construction firm, Elizabeth Trump & Son, which was later renamed The Trump Organization.
- During his career, Trump has built, renovated or managed numerous office towers, hotels, casinos, and golf courses. He also lent the use of his name to brand various other products.
- On November 8, 2016, Trump won the presidential election by gaining a majority of the electoral college, although he received fewer popular votes nationwide than Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
- At age 70, he will become the oldest President to assume office in U.S. history, and the wealthiest.
- Trump has won many awards during his entire life among which the recent award of 2016 includes:2016 Time 100, annual list of the most influential people by Time magazine Time Person of the Year 2016