Government of India Act, 1935:
- Abolition of provincial dyarchy and introduction of dyarchy at centre.
- Abolition of Indian Council and introduction of an advisory body in its place.
- Provision for an All India Federation with British India territories and princely states.
- Elaborate safeguards and protective instruments for minorities.
- Supremacy of British Parliament. Increase in size of legislatures, extension of franchise, division of subjects into three lists and retention of communal electorate.
Elections of 1937:
- First provincial elections held in 1937 where out of 11 congress has won eight, Muslim league none , Unionist party won 1(in Punjab),United party won 1(Sindh) and Praja party won 1(Bengal).
- Congress ministries had resigned because Britishers declared India’s participations in second world war without their will.
August Offer, 1940:
- Dominoin Status in the unspecified future.
- A post-war body to enact the Constitution.
- To expand the Governor General’s Executive Council to give full weightage to minority opinion
- This mission was sent by British to seek help from Indians in second world war.
- Cripps worked to keep India loyal to the British war effort in exchange for a promise of full self-government after the war.
- Both congress and Muslim league rejected this offer.