Kachabali village in Rajsamand district of Rajasthan, has become the first in state to vote in support of closing down the only liquor shop in the village.
- This is the first time the provision of the Rajasthan Excise Act, 1975, that provides for the closure of a country liquor shop, was invoked.
Women Empowered Kachabali Village:
- The polling was carried out by the excise department of the state and 94% of the voters demanded that they want a complete ban on the sale of alcohol in the village.
- Before the poll is held, at least 20% of the voters of the gram panchayat or municipal ward must seek a referendum on the issue, in a letter to the district collector.
- The Gandhian experiment led by women in this remote Rajasthan village culminated in a vote that continued through the day. Of the 2,049 of a total of 2,886voters of Kachabali who cast their vote, 1,937 or 94 per cent voted in favour of the prohibition.
- The clear verdict this time, the shop is probably to be closed by April 1.
Alcohol prohibition in India:
- Gujarat,Nagaland and parts of Manipur as well as in the Union Territory of Lakshadweep where the sale of alcohol is prohibited.
- Keralahas been implementing prohibition in a phased manner since 2014. Bihar government has announced a complete ban on the country-made liquor in the state