As per the report of survey on “Trends in International Migrant Stock” conducted by UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), India’s diaspora population is the largest in the world with 16 million people from India living outside their country in 2015.
- Taking a global sight, there is 41% increase in comparison with 2000 in the number of international migrant persons living in a country other than where they were born, which is reached at 244mn in 2015.
- Nearly two thirds of international migrants live in Europe (76 million) or Asia (75 million).
Key Highlights of Report
The rise in the number of international migrants reflects the increasing importance of international migration, which has become an integral part of our economies and societies
- India has the largest diaspora in the world, followed by Mexico and Russia.
- In 2015, 16 million people from India were living outside of their country, a growth from 6.7 million in 1990.
- Mexico’s diaspora population stood at 12 million.
- Other countries with large diaspora included Russia, China, Bangladesh, Pakistan and Ukraine.
- Of the 20 countries with the largest number of international migrants living abroad, 11 were in Asia, 6 in Europe, and one each in Africa, Latin America, Caribbean and Northern America.
Countries having high Diaspora population
Two thirds of all international migrants were living in only 20 countries.
- Starting with the US, which hosted 19% of all migrants at 6 million, followed by Germany, Russia, Saudi Arabia, the United Kingdom, and the United Arab Emirates.
- India ranked 12th out of these 20 countries, hosting 2 million migrants in 2015.