Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has been conferred with National Award on e-Governance 2015-16 for launching the Universal Account Number (UAN).
- The award will be presented by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions to the EPFO in the 19th National Conference on e-governance to be held in Nagpur on January 22.
- The EPFO won the gold award in the “innovative use of technology in e-governance” category and the retirement body will get a cash prize of Rs 2 lakh.
How UAN works?
The UAN facility enables workers to transfer their provident fund deposits while switching jobs anywhere in India easily. The portal also allows a worker view his provident fund balance on a real-time basis without going through the employer.
- Through UAN, active employees are provided a universal number which can be linked to various provident fund account numbers provided to them while working in different organisations.
- A single account number can be used through all of workers’ employments with various organisations.
- When a worker changes his job, he is required to inform his UAN to new employer and after the previous and present employments are linked to the number, the transfer process happens on its own.
The Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation is a statutory body of the Government of India under the Ministry of Labour and Employment. It administers a compulsory contributory Provident Fund Scheme, Pension Scheme and an Insurance Scheme.
- Headquarter – New Delhi
- Central Provident Fund Commissioner – K.K. Jalan
- Minister of Labour and Employment – Bandaru Dattatreya