International day for elimination of Racial Discrimination
The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed annually on 21 March.
- This day is celebrated in the memory of the day in 1960 when police fired 60 people in a peaceful demonstration in Sharpeville, South Africa.The demonstration was against the apartheid pass laws. It was proclaimed in the UN General Assembly in 1966.
2016 Theme: Challenges and Achievements of the Durban Declaration and Programme of Action
World poetry day
March 21 is celebrated globally as the World Poetry day. It is celebrated with the motive to promote reading, writing, publishing poetry throughout the world.
- UNESCO declared March 21 as World poetry day in 1999
- It gives fresh recognition and impetus to national, regional and international poetry movements
- In some nations it is celebrated in months of October to mark the birth of veteran poet Virgil
- National poetry month is celebrated in countries like US and Canada during April
- October 15 is celebrated as poetry day in UK
World Down syndrome day
World Down syndrome Day (WDSD) is observed on March 21. On this day, people with Down syndrome and those who live and work with them throughout the world organize and participate in activities and events to raise public awareness about the syndrome and well being of people with Down syndrome
- On December 20, 2007, WHO recognized March 21 as the World Down Syndrome Day
- The UN general assembly recognized March 21 as World Down Syndrome Day on December 19, 2011
- DSi (Down Syndrome International)also announces theWorld Down Syndrome Day Awards every year on 21 March
2016 Theme: “My friends, My Community”
International day of Nowruz
Nowruz is the name of the Iranian New Year also known as the Persian New Year, which is celebrated worldwide by Iranian people, along with some other ethno-linguistic groups, as the beginning of the Iranian New Year. March 21 is celebrated as the International day of Nowruz.
- Nowruz is the day of thevernal equinox, and marks the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere
- The UN’s general assembly recognized March 21 as International day of Nowruz in 2010
International Day of Forests
The International Day of Forests is celebrated on 21st day of March. Each year, various events celebrate and raise awareness of the importance of all types of forests, and trees outside forests, for the benefit of current and future generation.
- March 21 is declared as International day of forests following the resolution of UN general assembly in Nov,2012
- International Day of Forests was observed for the first time on March 21,
- 2016-“Forests and water”