Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in sentence correction (Phrase Replacements), which is BASED ON IBPS EXAMS 2017 !!!
- The failure of crops in successive years put the farmers in a tight corner.
1) In a closed room
2) In a small filed
3) In a difficult situation
4) In a meadowAnswer – 3)
Explanation: In a difficult situation
- The effort to trace the culprit was a wild goose chase.
1) Fruitful hunting
2) Futile search
3) Ideal seeking
4) Genuine effortAnswer – 2)
Explanation: Futile search
- The story does not hold water.
1) Does not deserve appreciation
2) Does not fulfil the requirements
3) Cannot be believed
4) Cannot be valuedAnswer – 3)
Explanation: Cannot be believed
- Raj couldn’t pay the bill, so he asked the owner to put it on the cuff.
1) On credit
2) Against his credit card
3) In his bank account
4) In his friend’s accountAnswer – 1)
Explanation: On credit
- His statement is out and out a lie.
4) SlightlyAnswer – 1)
- The luxury car that they bought turned out to be a white elephant.
1) A rare article
2) Useful mode of transport
3) Costly or troublesome possession
4) A proud possessionAnswer – 3)
Explanation: Costly or troublesome possession
- If you are fair and square in your work, you will definitely prosper.
3) Business like
4) AuthoritativeAnswer – 2)
- There is no love lost between any two neighbouring countries in the world.
1) Stop loving
2) Not on good terms
3) Forming a group
4) Have good understandingAnswer – 2)
Explanation: Not on good terms
- The heavy downpour played havoc in the coastal area.
1) Caused destruction
2) Caused diseases
3) Caused floods
4) Caused hardshipAnswer – 1)
Explanation: Caused destruction
- To have a green thumb means
1) One’s nails are painted green
2) One is artistic
3) To have a natural interest in gardening
4) One has a green tattoo on the thumbAnswer – 3)
Explanation: To have a natural interest in gardening