Welcome to Online English Section with explanation in AffairsCloud.com. Here we are creating question sample in Fill in the blanks, which is BASED ON IBPS PO/CLERK/LIC AAO/RRB & SSC CGL EXAM and other competitive exams.
- A monsoon deluge is not an uncommon___________in the subcontinent, and there is considerable variability in the duration and frequency of rainfall in different regions.
4) tolerationAnswer – 2)
Explanation: occurrence – an incident or event.
- What people in the flood-hit regions expect of governments is speedy relief and___________.
4) concessionAnswer – 2)
Explanation: rehabilitation – the action of restoring someone to health or normal life through training and therapy after imprisonment, addiction, or illness.
- ___________financial losses is crucial for a return to normality, and the Centre has announced a solatium for the next of kin of those who have died.
4) AlleviatingAnswer – 4)
Explanation: Alleviating – make (suffering, deficiency, or a problem) less severe.
- It is___________that some States have not been able to use disaster relief funds as intended, and the Centre has asked them to set off the unutilised portion when making fresh claims.
4) laceratedAnswer – 1)
Explanation: dismaying – cause (someone) to feel concern and distress.
- Catastrophic events, such as the Chennai flood of 2015, also___________a review of the protocol followed by State governments in controlling flows from dams and reservoirs.
4) necessitateAnswer – 4)
Explanation: necessitate – make (something) necessary as a result or consequence.
- Apparently, much of the waters that have___________parts of Jalore in Rajasthan flowed from a dam that was opened to relieve pressure, catching many by surprise.
2) busted up
4) contusedAnswer – 3)
Explanation: inundated – overwhelm (someone) with things or people to be dealt with.
- While the proposal is at an early stage and it may take a while before it gets___________, if at all, it outlines a powerful strategy.
4) impairedAnswer – 2)
Explanation: implemented – put (a decision, plan, agreement, etc.) into effect.
- Governments cannot legitimately expect that people with marginal incomes will take calamitous losses in their___________, with neither social support nor financial instruments available to rebuild lives.
4) strideAnswer – 4)
Explanation: stride – walk with long, decisive steps in a specified direction.
- It is essential also to look at the public health dimension: many without the coping capacity develop mental health issues including post-traumatic stress disorder in the wake of such catastrophes, and need___________.
4) statureAnswer – 1)
Explanation: counselling – the provision of professional assistance and guidance in resolving personal or psychological problems.
- A vigorous monsoon is vital for the economy, but governments should be prepared to deal with the___________of excess rainfall.
4) commencementAnswer – 2)
Explanation: consequences – a result or effect, typically one that is unwelcome or unpleasant.